Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Lucas Oil Field

horseshoepower

I think Manning deserves every kudo,prop,praise,whoop,cheer,etc you could think of except when they go on about how he's the reason the Colts got a new stadium and the superbowl is in Indy um really? In 2006 Arizona got a new stadium after 20 years of basically nothing except one playoff win. And Cincinnati also got a new stadium the PBS what player led to that since the franchise hasn't won a post-season game in over 20 years. I think the main reason all these stadiums were built has to do with Georgia Frontiere & Al Davis moving teams out of LA and the NFL putting pressure on medium sized towns city councils to build new stadiums or else. just my take.

well if you do boot him out of Indy- Please send him down to South Fla- we are in dire need of a upgraded stadium. I do feel he was the reason.. Just look at that city for SB. Its incredible and I believe the city of Indy owes him alot..

Well....he's been given enough money, that much we've discussed here endlessly. However, what he's really deserving of is our utmost respect. I know it sounds corny as all get out.....the guy should have a statue ala Rocky.

The logic is if we had never drafted Peyton Manning the Colts would not have won at the level they did to draw the fanbase in Indianapolis in to take interest in the Colts to warrent the Mayor and Governor to push for a new stadium. Had there not been the fan support there was it would have been an extremely hard sale to make. As it was there were some very out spoken people to building the new stadium because of the cost. Had there not been a stadium built Irsay probably would have taken the franchise to LA. So that's why people give Peyton credit for the stadium being built because people view him as the main reason that the Colts started winning which is what grew the fanbase.

I find it ironic how people say Indy owes him. What do they owe him and why? They paid him millions and surrounded him with first round talent on offense. They gave him complete control of the offense (and I think I read somewhere he was the only QB to ever have that privelege). I don't think anyone owes anyone anything

Well....he's been given enough money, that much we've discussed here endlessly. However, what he's really deserving of is our utmost respect. I know it sounds corny as all get out.....the guy should have a statue ala Rocky.

Actually, I don't think it is corny at all....in Green Bay, they have a statues of Lambaeu and Lombardi. But I think it should be a statue of Dungy and Manning. I don't think the Indy Colts win a SB without both of them.

Beyond that, I don't think Manning is owed anything. But I also don't think his time in Indy is over yet.

All other teams play in converted warehouses because no Manning.

Yeah, Cowboys Stadium is a dump. The NFL is offering the 49ers (and maybe Raiders, so they can share a stadium in Santa Clara) $200 million in G-4 loans. The RCA Dome had the smallest capacity in the NFL. Manning made it easier to build Lucas Oil, but stadium revenues are shared, and every team that played in Indy earned less that week by traveling there than any other NFL city, so it was in the NFL's interest, the Colts interest, and the other 31 team's interests to build a new stadium in Indy.

Yeah, Cowboys Stadium is a dump. The NFL is offering the 49ers (and maybe Raiders, so they can share a stadium in Santa Clara) $200 million in G-4 loans. The RCA Dome had the smallest capacity in the NFL. Manning made it easier to build Lucas Oil, but stadium revenues are shared, and every team that played in Indy earned less that week by traveling there than any other NFL city, so it was in the NFL's interest, the Colts interest, and the other 31 team's interests to build a new stadium in Indy.

When people say "The house that Manning built", they are really referring to the success that he helped bring to the Colts, which in turn kept them here in Indy and allowed for the securing of the funds necessary to build the LOS. If we had not selected Manning and had continued to stink in the late '90s, we might not have an NFL team.

When people say "The house that Manning built", they are really referring to the success that he helped bring to the Colts, which in turn kept them here in Indy and allowed for the securing of the funds necessary to build the LOS. If we had not selected Manning and had continued to stink in the late '90s, we might not have an NFL team.

Did Peyton help? Sure he did. Winning helps everything. But there are multiple cities with decade long losing streaks throughout multiple sports that have new stadiums. Having a professional franchise of any caliber is an asset to a community, and as a community they would have done anything to keep the Colts here, regardless of Peyton. But its always easier to argue for a winner.

Did Peyton help? Sure he did. Winning helps everything. But there are multiple cities with decade long losing streaks throughout multiple sports that have new stadiums. Having a professional franchise of any caliber is an asset to a community, and as a community they would have done anything to keep the Colts here, regardless of Peyton. But its always easier to argue for a winner.

Ya, I think the bigger issue was the rumors of the Colts moving. Which they may have, had we not straightened out.

Admittedly, the line about "The house that Manning built" is a bit corny. The sentiment is accurate, but it's a bit misleading I suppose.

Child please....there was talk of the Colts moving even during Manning and the Colts' success! I remember a particular Mike and Mike spot when he was quoted as being tired of asked about "whether or not he was going to live next to Shaq and Kobe"....around 2003-2004 I think. And that's WITH HIM....had we drafted Leaf we would be the LA Colts right now. END OF DISCUSSION. We aren't Dallas with Jerrah and his billions, or NYC which is the biggest market in the country (and they STILL share a stadium)....

The LA threat is, and was nonsense to me for many reasons. LA is the second largest market in the US and hasn't had a team since 1995. The NFL has expanded by four teams since 1995 (Panthers, Jags, Browns, Texans) and not one has landed in LA. The Raiders moved back to Oakland because LA couldn't build a new stadium. The Rams were crying poor, tried to move to Baltimore first, and got a stadium deal in St. Louis with public funds. Until a stadium is approved and ground is broken I don't see any team, existing or expansion, heading that way. It's easy to use LA as leverage, but there is a reason they still lack a team.

As bad as the Colts were for most of the 90's look at how pathetic the Bengals and Cardinals were in the 90's and early 00's, neither ended up in L.A. The Colts were decent between 94-96 but, I really don't think it matters L.A. was just a smoke screen. the only team that really was serious about moving there was the Seahawks in 95/96 (ken behring). Give Manning a statue in front LFO (very cool)he is Mr. Colt! but, I really don't think Manning was the reason that they stayed, he was the reason they gained national following and aired on CBS at 3:15 more plus primetime games . Did Bengal can't miss picks Ki-Jana Carter, Akili Smith, David Klingler,Big Daddy Dan Wilkinson,Peter Warwick, etc keep the team in Cincy? eventually L.A. will end up with a team but it wasn't going to happen during the 00's and it's not going to happen in 2012 either. I do remember a rumor before 2000,the Colts were going to Chicago, if the Bears went to northern Indiana still in the Chicagoland area(Gary) but that never materialized.

As bad as the Colts were for most of the 90's look at how pathetic the Bengals and Cardinals were in the 90's and early 00's, neither ended up in L.A. The Colts were decent between 94-96 but, I really don't think it matters L.A. was just a smoke screen. the only team that really was serious about moving there was the Seahawks in 95/96 (ken behring). Give Manning a statue in front LFO (very cool)he is Mr. Colt! but, I really don't think Manning was the reason that they stayed, he was the reason they gained national following and aired on CBS at 3:15 more plus primetime games . Did Bengal can't miss picks Ki-Jana Carter, Akili Smith, David Klingler,Big Daddy Dan Wilkinson,Peter Warwick, etc keep the team in Cincy? eventually L.A. will end up with a team but it wasn't going to happen during the 00's and it's not going to happen in 2012 either. I do remember a rumor before 2000,the Colts were going to Chicago, if the Bears went to northern Indiana still in the Chicagoland area(Gary) but that never materialized.

the Bears were going to move to Gary in the late 1990s....

but then they took a ride over to Gary and looked around