Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

AFC South Rookie Grades (NFL.com)

dgambill

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000785228/article/afc-south-rookie-grades-titans-rising-under-gm-jon-robinson

Not sure how the Texans got a better grade then us. They also didn't focus on the contributions on the defensive side of the ball either for us. Overall I think this was one of Grigsons better drafts but I think the article just glosses over the contributions this class made because of Grigsons firing and assuming it wasn't very good. I think our draft was better than Houston's but oh well. I don't know the writer so it could just be worthless.

If I had to give grades based on the players themselves

Kelly - B. Luck's Jeff Saturday. Only gonna get better

Green- D. Still have faith in him. I do believe he is gonna improve a lot. Next year is pivotal for him, but if he was pretty abysmal last year

Clark- N/A. Red shirted most of the year. Played only a handful of games and was okay at best. Hard to grade.

Ridgeway- C+. Played well at times. Should be a solid piece for the D line in the future

Morrison- D+. He's got a lot of work to do, but he's a thumper and played hard. I hope he stays but not sure if he can overcome that speed deficiency.

Haeg- B. Didn't light the world on fire, but for a rookie, to come in and play multiple positions, and show he at least belongs, I was impressed (and as 5th rounder to boot). Hopefully, he improves too.

Bates- N/A - Totally forgot they even drafted him 

Blythe- N/A - depth player. At least he's still on the roster.

Kelly - HoF but for Buffalo

Green - HoF but for Pittsburgh

Clark - Hosted a television dance show every Saturday for decades, some say he was ageless 

Ridgeway - Toyota named a truck after him

Morrison - died in Paris, France a long time ago, heck of a performer

Haeg - Served as Secretary of Defense under Reagan

Blythe - (Ann) Fame in Hollywood in the 40's but never really did much after that

(no apologies)

Kelly - B

Green - D+

Clark - Incomplete

Ridgeway - B (remember, this is a 4th rounder, let's not downgrade them unnecessarily simply because they didn't make the pro-bowl in their first year)

Morrison - C+ (late 4th rounder. Let's not pretend that we would have found Jordan Howard magically in hindsight. 52 tackles for a late 4th rounder is not a bad stat)

Haeg - B

Blythe - F (simply doesn't have the body of an NFL player)

On paper and before a down of football was played, the Texans had my favorite draft of any team

The article didn't start very well because of that IMO. Even without any division rival bias, I didn't think they had a great draft. Reader looks like a nice pick though.

I think those grades are fair but as usual, teams that pick high and/or have lot of picks tend to get higher grades.

EDIT. Either Colts should've gotten higher grade or Redskins should've gotten lower. They got minimal contributions from their '16 picks, only UDFA was a savior for them. Some due to bad luck like the mysterious Doctson injury but not sure any team got less from their '16 drafts last year than the Redskins. This coming from a person who thinks McCloughan is one one the best talent evaluators in the business.

9 hours ago, braveheartcolt said:

Who said we had the worst grade? Is there actually an official grading system? If not, why don't we strike this from the record.......

Sorry, I thought this was a thread to discuss an NFL.com article that rated our draft as worst in the division. Let me know what is permissible to discuss. 

On 2/11/2017 at 1:32 PM, NorthernBlue said:

If I had to give grades based on the players themselves

Kelly - B. Luck's Jeff Saturday. Only gonna get better

Green- D. Still have faith in him. I do believe he is gonna improve a lot. Next year is pivotal for him, but if he was pretty abysmal last year

Clark- N/A. Red shirted most of the year. Played only a handful of games and was okay at best. Hard to grade.

Ridgeway- C+. Played well at times. Should be a solid piece for the D line in the future

Morrison- D+. He's got a lot of work to do, but he's a thumper and played hard. I hope he stays but not sure if he can overcome that speed deficiency.

Haeg- B. Didn't light the world on fire, but for a rookie, to come in and play multiple positions, and show he at least belongs, I was impressed (and as 5th rounder to boot). Hopefully, he improves too.

Bates- N/A - Totally forgot they even drafted him 

Blythe- N/A - depth player. At least he's still on the roster.

These are good altough what we did see from Clark is enough to give him a C for now. Morrison early was bad as the year went on better late. I would say a C- with a chance to improve. Kelly is going to be VERY good. I think Ridgeway has a chance to be really Good!! Green hummmm we will see? He is young!!

39 minutes ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

These are good altough what we did see from Clark is enough to give him a C for now. Morrison early was bad as the year went on better late. I would say a C- with a chance to improve. Kelly is going to be VERY good. I think Ridgeway has a chance to be really Good!! Green hummmm we will see? He is young!!

I'm just a tad hesitant to give guys, especially offensive line good grades until they play well for more than a handful of grades. IIRC, back in the 2014 season, specifically the last few games and playoffs, the offensive line played a lot better. In fact, Luck only got sacked like 2 times in the playoffs, which gave a lot of people optimism that our O line was gonna be better in 2015. It didn't happen.

Now granted, Clark is young and showed upside. He probably will get better, but lets see first.

And yeah, Ridgeway and Kelly I think will turn into very good to great players. But these are based solely off last season (which to be fair is a very silly way to grade rookies, off just 1 year)

On 2/11/2017 at 4:49 PM, Colts_Fan12 said:

Yeah fans on here always blame the media for being mean to us even tho we sucked and our rookies are only starters on our cruddy roster 

Honestly I though we had a good draft. Haeg and Kelly looked solid. Heck even Clark was starting at the end of the year and the OL started to gel. 3 starting OL? Green wasn't good but Ridgeway and Jackson contributed. I would give us a B-/C+. To give Houston a better grade I just thought was laughable.

12 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Honestly I though we had a good draft. Haeg and Kelly looked solid. Heck even Clark was starting at the end of the year and the OL started to gel. 3 starting OL? Green wasn't good but Ridgeway and Jackson contributed. I would give us a B-/C+. To give Houston a better grade I just thought was laughable.

Just cause they start on our trash roster doesn't mean the draft was great. Haeg is prolly a backup on almost every other roster. The linebackers were all awful Green was a horrible pick as was Morrison. Kelly was good and maybe Clark later on tho