Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Art Jones

dw49

1 hour ago, Superman said:

I'm gonna pass on Art Jones. He can't stay healthy, his impact when on the field has been unimpressive, and I would like to see player who can get upfield more effectively than he can/does. If it were up to me, he would have walked out right behind Jackson yesterday; don't forget he missed the first four games of the season with a PED suspension.

I could see them keeping him on another reworked contract, but I don't like the games played incentive for him again. To me, it's not about whether he plays, it's about whether he plays well. I'd rather replace him.

I strongly agree that you would make the incentives lean more toward performance than games played. Unless of coarse the total compensation didn't amount to anything more than what an average type rotational player gets.

I looked extensively trying to find out more about the 2016 incentives before posting the thread and didn't find what you seemed to find. Where did you find that last years incentives were strictly based on games played ? 

2 hours ago, AustexColt said:

He is done... overpaid and underplayed.... Pagano to Blame.... He basically took the money and ran.  Never should have been signed. Terrible and Worst investment.  Cromartie was another stupid Idea.

Cromartie did his job until he was exposed in the Jaguars game. 

You can argue that a younger guy should have been out there gaining experience, but the fact of the matter was that he knew the system, and had been a serviceable corner for years. 

I wouldn't say it was a BAD idea. Any corner we put out there would have been exposed. Robinson Butler, and 21 were ALL juggling injuries. So either you put a slot corner on the outside, or an UDFA on the outside, or you put a veteran out there who KNOWS the system already. 

Not saying it was an optimal situation, but who would you have rather had out there? UDFA or slot corner... results would have been the same sir. 

(Not defending Grigson, just trying to be reasonable here.) 

----> Again, hindsight bias is rampant throughout this forum. If Cromartie would have balled out he would have been a GENIOUS for signing him. No GM is a pyschic. And given the facts, it was the BEST option available at the time. 

1 hour ago, dw49 said:

I strongly agree that you would make the incentives lean more toward performance than games played. Unless of coarse the total compensation didn't amount to anything more than what an average type rotational player gets.

I looked extensively trying to find out more about the 2016 incentives before posting the thread and didn't find what you seemed to find. Where did you find that last years incentives were strictly based on games played ? 

I have no confirmation, probably speaking out of turn. I am assuming he had a games played bonus/incentive.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

I have no confirmation, probably speaking out of turn. I am assuming he had a games played bonus/incentive.

Yeah , I'm sure some of his incentives were based on games played. But hopefully if he was or is to make considerable money back (incentives), it would also require some serious performance based stuff.

BTW... I'm not advocating either way. I think he could be "OK" at the right price. I was just trying to point out to many on the board that this is not a "no brainer", "certain " cut. He's young and versatile enough that management could consider keeping him ... providing he right deal can be worked out. If it were a case of paying him his 6 mill base salary or cutting him , no doubt he would be cut. 

If I were to guess , I would say he probably does move on.