Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Reggie on Twitter

dudley dawson

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

Nothing cryptic about it, IMO. Reggie isn't a fan of the front office, and I assume that means Grigson in particular. 

How could he be a fan of Grigson?  But we're stuck with him and he seemed to have a strong draft last year.  He also brought in some no name FA's that did contribute.  

I still have to to get over his refusal to invest in the Oline when we had money, his trade for Trent, and drafting Dorsett over many other needs.  But that's a personal problem.  

1 minute ago, Superman said:

Why do people keep saying this???

Because it's true.  There were plenty of quality FA interior linemen he could have picked up.  I didn't mind investing in a RT.  But our C and Gs were below average.   

Anyway, that's in the past.  He finally decided to use some draft picks the last couple years.  

15 hours ago, MTC said:

Not really surprised. No one campaigned for Grigson to stay last year. I don't think many players like him.

Thats generally the case on any team. Respect the guy cause you have to, but hes the guy that everyone sees as wanting to pay less tjan you think your worth. 

These tweets are not really news.

4 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Because its easy and appears less lazy than it really is.

Okay, explain what quality interior linemen Grigson bought in?   Beside Cherilus, what quality FA lineman period?

Apparently it's easy for you to name, right?

Just now, Smonroe said:

Okay, explain what quality interior linemen Grigson bought in?   Beside Cherilus, what quality FA lineman period?

You said "invest."  Weve invested in the line every year. To say we havent is lazy and flat out wrong.  

4 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

You said "invest."  Weve invested in the line every year. To say we havent is lazy and flat out wrong.  

1 minute ago, OffensivelyPC said:

You didn't read my post.  I said he refused to invest when we had money.  Just look at the rosters from 12 through 14.  And there were plenty of good interior linemen available.  If you call getting cast offs investing, then we have a different definition. 

I was always for overdrafting Olinemen and spending for FAs instead of getting the WR FA du jour every year.   But Grigson ignored that position for three years.  I remember listening to an interview when he actually laughed about people who complained he wasn't concentrating on the line.  

Like i said, it's in the past.  I agree that he finally realized you may need an offensive line to protect your franchise. 

6 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

You didn't read my post.  I said he refused to invest when we had money.  Just look at the rosters from 12 through 14.  And there were plenty of good interior linemen available.  If you call getting cast offs investing, then we have a different definition. 

I was always for overdrafting Olinemen and spending for FAs instead of getting the WR FA du jour every year.   But Grigson ignored that position for three years.  I remember listening to an interview when he actually laughed about people who complained he wasn't concentrating on the line.  

Like i said, it's in the past.  I agree that he finally realized you may need an offensive line to protect your franchise. 

I did read it...you talked about investing in OL, trades, and draft picks in the samrme sentence and a separate paragraph from FAs. In any event, FAs are usually not a good way to build OLs, so its a good thing he didnt...they usually dont pan out, and didnt in our case.

I still disagree that he didnt invest in the OL. Its simply wrong. If you had said, hes missed, i take no issue, but confusion is cleared.

1 minute ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I did read it...you talked about investing in OL, trades, and draft picks in the samrme sentence and a separate paragraph from FAs. In any event, FAs are usually not a good way to build OLs, so its a good thing he didnt...they usually dont pan out, and didnt in our case.

What part of "when we had money" would make you think I wasn't talking about investing in FAs?

FAs o linemen are a good way to build a team that just got blown up and has a rookie franchise QB.  You protect the franchise.  

Like i said, it's in the past.  

43 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

What part of "when we had money" would make you think I wasn't talking about investing in FAs?

That was obvious, to me. I still disagree.

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

Because it's true.  There were plenty of quality FA interior linemen he could have picked up.  I didn't mind investing in a RT.  But our C and Gs were below average.   

Anyway, that's in the past.  He finally decided to use some draft picks the last couple years.  

It's not true at all. Gosder Cherilus was the 'highest paid RT in the NFL.' Donald Thomas got a four year contract. That was $50m in OL contracts in one offseason. 

And then Holmes and Thornton were supposed to claim two interior spots. The plan was obvious, and was meant to solidify the line for several years.

This plan failed, miserably. But it's patently false to say that Grisgon didn't invest in OL when we had money.

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

Don't move the goalposts. It's obvious Grigson didn't do a good job, and for that he deserves criticism. But to say that he didn't put forth effort to improving the OL just isn't true, and I don't get why people keep saying it. It's just as easy to say that he failed to improve the OL, and that would be an accurate statement.

14 minutes ago, Superman said:

That was obvious, to me. I still disagree.

It's not true at all. Gosder Cherilus was the 'highest paid RT in the NFL.' Donald Thomas got a four year contract. That was $50m in OL contracts in one offseason. 

And then Holmes and Thornton were supposed to claim two interior spots. The plan was obvious, and was meant to solidify the line for several years.

This plan failed, miserably. But it's patently false to say that Grisgon didn't invest in OL when we had money.

Don't move the goalposts. It's obvious Grigson didn't do a good job, and for that he deserves criticism. But to say that he didn't put forth effort to improving the OL just isn't true, and I don't get why people keep saying it. It's just as easy to say that he failed to improve the OL, and that would be an accurate statement.

Dang it, don't get me into this moot, OBE discussion again!   

My my final word, then you can claim victory.  Yes, he brought in Cheilus and Brown.  One worked for a short time.  But we still had plenty of money to pick up proven FAs in 13 and 14.  Holmes and Thornton were rookies.  If that's your idea of investing with our cap space, then we're on different pages.  

So, in my mind, and IMHO, he didn't invest when we had money.  He chose to go with unproven players and cast offs.  

16 hours ago, MTC said:

Not really surprised. No one campaigned for Grigson to stay last year. I don't think many players like him.

I have a feeling you're not wrong.

16 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

I know most fans don't like him.   But what evidence do you have that most players don't like him?  He is the reason they are collecting a check here

There were rumors last year that Grigs was forcing Pagano to play the players Grigs wanted in the game, rather than allowing the coaches to select starting line-ups, etc.... I remember Frank Gore saying how messed up things in Indy were, and I believe there were several 'anonymous' players saying that to the media.  Grigs and Pagano were obviously in a big feud for a lot of the 2015 season, although Irsay tried to squash it and both Grigs and Pagano denied it in public comments, it was quite clear the two were not getting along about something.  I have a pretty strong feeling that it may have been Grigs trying to take too much power away from the coaches (e.g., setting the line-up, etc.).  

I also imagine many players, especially veterans, feel as though Grigs is doing a poor job.  Reggie was a winner his whole career (except the year Peyton missed) -- I would think someone like him (even though he was let go at the time) would not like the way some of the moves in FA/draft were impacting the Colts as a franchise.

14 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Well if we forget the whole one pre-season game as a Pat he sorta did.

i think Reggie disliked Grigson because he doesn't feel like he handled him right at the end of his career but like you said it was time.  Grigson made the right call on Wayne, even if maybe he didn't handle it right.

We also know how loyal Reggie is to Pagano.  I think Reggie knew about the tension between Pagano and Grigson that was reported last year and he sided with Pagano over Grigson.  

^Yes, I think you're on to something with the feud between Pagano and Grigson.  Like I said above, this was mostly denied by Irsay and denied or not talked about by Pagano and Grigson to the media, but there was clearly something going on between the two men. 

I think Reggie likely took Pags side.  As far as players on the roster go, I do remember reading reports of players complaining that Grigson was forcing Pagano to start certain line-ups, etc... and it does truly seem like all the players like Pagano (although some of the latest rumors of veteran players saying the coaching staff isn't holding people accountable for are a little worrisome).