Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Could Ridgeway Play NT?

Defjamz26

19 hours ago, AustinnKaine said:

a 3-4 hinges on every single position on the defense. Including NT. 

Regardless of what scheme you are running. If you have average players, you will get average results. David Parry is an average NT. 

20 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Yes it does. You have 3 down lineman. If you don't have a NT who can take up blockers and free up the LBs, you're going to struggle in run defense.

Funny, I don't remember the Ravens having a defense that hinged on the NT.  Name the stellar 34 defenses that "hinged" on the NT.  

Hell, the only guy that comes to mind is Casey Hampton, and I doubt many would say the success of that defense centered around him.

23 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Funny, I don't remember the Ravens having a defense that hinged on the NT.  Name the stellar 34 defenses that "hinged" on the NT.  

Hell, the only guy that comes to mind is Casey Hampton, and I doubt many would say the success of that defense centered around him.

I am not saying that a 3-4 defense centers around the nose tackle play. What I am saying, is that when you employ mediocre players, you get mediocre results.

Regardless of which way you look at it, if we had more of a presence in the middle our edge players would get more production out of their snaps. Imagine if our interior was as good, or better than our edge?

We have the resources to do it this off season. I don't think its too far fetched to ask for a talented nose tackle to help against the run, and perhaps maybe we get lucky with some interior pressure occasionally?

17 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yes, Ridgeway could play NT,  but I think the only down you want to do that on is 3rd down, or obvious passing downs.

Ridgeway has the size,  but he's also got some special gifts that Parry doesn't have that I don't think we want to get lost playing in the middle.        I'd prefer to keep him outside where his premium skills and pass rush ability can be better used.     He's got some athletic ability for someone his size,  he can use that more effectively on the outside.       I'd rather draft a pure NT with more.      

By the way,   Parry is 6'2" and not 6'0"        Hathaway is 6'3" and change...

Here's the Parry combine profile....

http://www.nfl.com/player/davidparry/2552438/combine

This is exactly what I was thinking on this. Your NT doesn't tend to be someone that shows up a ton on the stat sheet, he's there to eat up blockers so the other guys can get into 1-on-1 or unblocked situations. For example, Vince Wilfork, one of the best NT's in the league over the course of his career, has sixteen career sacks, and has topped 40 tackles just four times in his 13 year career.

That's the kind of guy you want as your NT, and that's just not Ridgeway's game. Like you said, he's got talent in rushing the passer, and our DL doesn't have a ton of those guys right now. He's played well this year, and I can see him developing into an above average to very good starter for us at DE.

35 minutes ago, MasterCrief said:

This is exactly what I was thinking on this. Your NT doesn't tend to be someone that shows up a ton on the stat sheet, he's there to eat up blockers so the other guys can get into 1-on-1 or unblocked situations. For example, Vince Wilfork, one of the best NT's in the league over the course of his career, has sixteen career sacks, and has topped 40 tackles just four times in his 13 year career.

That's the kind of guy you want as your NT, and that's just not Ridgeway's game. Like you said, he's got talent in rushing the passer, and our DL doesn't have a ton of those guys right now. He's played well this year, and I can see him developing into an above average to very good starter for us at DE.

I'm even OK with Ridgeway playing some DT if we're ever in a 4-3 concept.     I'd just like him to be in a 1-on-1 situation as often as possible.     I'd like to avoid him having to face double teams like from a center and guard.

He's got some talent.....    I was to showcase it,  not bury it too much on the Nose.

Thanks for your post.    Some good stuff there.....      :thmup:

53 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

I am not saying that a 3-4 defense centers around the nose tackle play. What I am saying, is that when you employ mediocre players, you get mediocre results.

Regardless of which way you look at it, if we had more of a presence in the middle our edge players would get more production out of their snaps. Imagine if our interior was as good, or better than our edge?

We have the resources to do it this off season. I don't think its too far fetched to ask for a talented nose tackle to help against the run, and perhaps maybe we get lucky with some interior pressure occasionally?

Well, yeah.  I never claimed better players don't help.  I just a defenses doesnt "hinge" on the NT.

Just now, BOTT said:

Well, yeah.  I never claimed better players don't help.  I just a defenses doesnt "hinge" on the NT.

It does if an opposing offense exploits it. If you cannot stop the run you are in trouble. If they know your only pressure is from the edges, they scheme against it.

Parry is one of my favorite players, and I think he and Anderson have good chemistry. However, I think Parry is going to reach his ceiling a lot earlier than his buddy. I also believe he is the weak link on the DL (When it is healthy)

I like Ridgeway where he is also, on the edge, going one-on-one. Parry has a low center of gravity and holds up OK, but he doesn't have the necessary mass to anchor at NT against the big O's. I'd love to see him at DT, next to a true NT.

IMHO, this team needs a true NT. The Oakland game was a good example of how this current group measures up against big O-Lines. New England, Dallas, Oakland (#1 & #2 seed playoff teams), etc. have the type of O-Lines that can maul D-Lines. If you want to win championships, you must own the LOS. There's nothing new about it, and there's virtually no getting around it.

While I agree a pass rusher is absolutely essential to this teams long term success, that pass rusher will not stop a repeat of the Colts last embarrassing playoff loss in NE (45-7), where NE dominated the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. Blount had three TD's as his O-line came out and gouged the Colts with 148 yards rushing. Conversely, their D-line gave up only 51 to Boom Herron.

It's also notable that NE managed to completely stifle the Colts offense in the blow-out, yet recorded 0 sacks of Luck. 

1 championship in 32 years...

But the problem is that there is no one to fill the run gaps; this team desperately needs some three down ILBs. I would suggest that the first pick be the best stud ILB in the draft. One who can also provide a pass rush from the middle. Such a player allows our Nose tackle to do his job; plug the middle and occupy more than one blocker. THAT is how you stop the run. 

5 hours ago, Hoose said:

But the problem is that there is no one to fill the run gaps; this team desperately needs some three down ILBs. I would suggest that the first pick be the best stud ILB in the draft. One who can also provide a pass rush from the middle. Such a player allows our Nose tackle to do his job; plug the middle and occupy more than one blocker. THAT is how you stop the run. 

The point I always argue is; pure, true NT's are available in the 1st round. Their body type is as rare as a franchise QB and there are usually only a few, if any each year. LB'ers on the other hand are much more plentiful because their body types are more common. 1st=NT, 2nd, 3rd, 4th & 5th for LB'ers.

On 12/29/2016 at 6:46 PM, BOTT said:

Sam Adams and Tony Siragusa anyone? 2 players over 340 lbs.

Also the 2012 Ravens with Haloti Ngata...and when he was getting old, they brought in Brandon Williams.

43 minutes ago, rock8591 said:

Sam Adams and Tony Siragusa anyone? 2 players over 340 lbs.

Also the 2012 Ravens with Haloti Ngata...and when he was getting old, they brought in Brandon Williams.

The Ravens played a 43 when Adams and Goose played.

Ngata typically played 34 DE.

17 hours ago, Hoose said:

. Such a player allows our Nose tackle to do his job; plug the middle and occupy more than one blocker. THAT is how you stop the run. 

Yes, if youre running a 2 gap scheme. For the past 2 years, however, that has not been the case with the colts. 

The colts biggest problem the past 2 years has been the poor and/or wildly inconsistent play of the ILBs

15 hours ago, Douzer said:

The point I always argue is; pure, true NT's are available in the 1st round. Their body type is as rare as a franchise QB and there are usually only a few, if any each year. LB'ers on the other hand are much more plentiful because their body types are more common. 1st=NT, 2nd, 3rd, 4th & 5th for LB'ers.

I don't think there is a guy that good at NT this draft. The best NT prospect might be Lowell Loutelelei. But I've also heard from this board that there a guy Veta Vea who might be pretty good. He's 330 pounds and gets compared to Poe. Might be a potential draft target.