Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts could have 81m in cap space

46 minutes ago, chad72 said:

...while Vinatieri is still going :) like the Energizer bunny.

Production and role playing should help us with objective decisions on those on the wrong side of the 30s.

Vinatieri is a kicker and they can play until they decide they're done. 

But I looked at production and roles for those guys. Again you could make a case for Walden but that's it. It'd be easy to say Gore because he's almost at 1,000 yards but he's not really a threat and can't handle a heavy workload. But the draft and FA can replace any guys who were producing at a good level. Some replacements we already have on the roster.

4 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

None of them are really worth anything, plus a few have expiring contracts anyways. Mathis is washed up, Cole has been washed up, Adams gave us some solid years but his time is up, Langford is done because guys his age who get injured don't come back the same. Walden lead the team in sacks but he's 31 and an his contract is up. Gore can't even handle 20 carries a game and has lost a step. Reitz isn't good anymore. Jackson has overstayed his welcome.

The only guy you can maybe make a case for is Walden. But by keeping those guys you're wasting money and roster spots that could be used on younger and better players. We have veterans. Luck and Hilton are veterans now. Veteran doesn't have to mean 10 year vets in their 30s.

I was hoping you wouldn't defend the post.     But you did.      I'm not up for a debate tonight,  so I'll just respectfully say that I disagree with much of what you wrote.   

And we'll just leave it at that....

On 12/26/2016 at 0:24 AM, Coltsfan0112 said:

I don't think you cut Langford, Gore or Robinson. Langford had an injury he rushed to quickly. I still think he will come back strong. Gore is still serviceable and can be a really good backup if the Colts pick a rb in the draft. Even though Robinson was hurt most of the time he looked like a really solid slot db. I also think they need to invest in their own players. Darius Butler can be our Mike Adam's replacement. Jack Doyle might be the top TE on the market so he won't be super cheap. I think signing Walden to a 2 year contract is a must. They also need to sign Mewhort and Donte so I don't think they will go strong on unrestricted free agents. I do believe they need to cut ties with DQ, Art Jones. If I was them try and make one big splash move and that would be Melvin engram.

Sign Coby Fleener when NO releases him.....:sarcasm:

Doyle wants to stay home even if he takes a little less money

Walden needs signed, So sad on Art Jones.  He was stuffing the run pretty well.

Langford needs to stay.  Before he got hurt, he was our best interior linemanIII

On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 7:25 PM, Defjamz26 said:

I agree with cutting Langford. TBH the Colts should move on from everyone 30 or over in the offseason. Langford, Jackson, Cole, Gore, Adams, Reitz, Jones, Walden, and Mathis should all be gone. It's time to get younger. 

In 4 or 5 years down the road when TY, Luck, Jack Doyle, and many others are 30 or older do you want to cut them also just because they are old?

I see us spending a lot on keeping our own FAs - we have a number of guys who are coming into their own and need to be kept: namely, Doyle, Kerr, Swoope, and Harrison.  Plus, Walden and Adams really need to be kept IMO.  Walden is our best LB and pass-rusher, both by a really good margin.  And we need some kind of NFL-ready safety depth, and Adams has a little left in the tank.   That spending should all be offset by losing the salaries of D'Qwell, Mathis, Butler, Thornton, and Cole (about $20 million of saving by my calculation).

Still, we've operated with almost $17 million of dead money this year, and there's less than $800,000 identified for 2017 (D'Joun/Irving)...so that frees up quite a bit of space.  So, I think we have room to bring in Melvin Ingram and a starting CB like Dre' Kirkpatrick and still spend less than we did last year...

5 minutes ago, Archer said:

I see us spending a lot on keeping our own FAs - we have a number of guys who are coming into their own and need to be kept: namely, Doyle, Kerr, Swoope, and Harrison.  Plus, Walden and Adams really need to be kept IMO.  Walden is our best LB and pass-rusher, both by a really good margin.  And we need some kind of NFL-ready safety depth, and Adams has a little left in the tank.   That spending should all be offset by losing the salaries of D'Qwell, Mathis, Butler, Thornton, and Cole (about $20 million of saving by my calculation).

Still, we've operated with almost $17 million of dead money this year, and there's less than $800,000 identified for 2017 (D'Joun/Irving)...so that frees up quite a bit of space.  So, I think we have room to bring in Melvin Ingram and a starting CB like Dre' Kirkpatrick and still spend less than we did last year...

butler needs to stay, we are thin a CB already and he is coming off of a good season

i know corners dont usually get new contracts at his age, but he is playing better now than when he was younger

Nope I would not get rid of Langford.  Not like he destroyed his knee and the guys been healthy his whole career.  That was his first injury that kept him from playing.  Its always wise to keep one or two old heads around.    I don't mind getting younger, but he can play when healthy and he's not super old in the first place.  He's normally pretty durable.

7 hours ago, SVFD Colts Fan said:

In 4 or 5 years down the road when TY, Luck, Jack Doyle, and many others are 30 or older do you want to cut them also just because they are old?

Depends on if they're producing or not. But by then they should already have replacements in place. Luck is the only exception. He plays till he decides to retire. If Hilton is still good at 30+ keep him. If he's not and costs money then move on. That's the nature of the game and in reality that's how teams are supposed to operate. You draft for the future so that when guys get older and slow down, you already have guys you've been grooming ready to take over. If you have a guy who can be like Fitzgerald in his 30s then you obviously keep him. If not you move on.

On 12/30/2016 at 8:56 AM, aaron11 said:

butler needs to stay, we are thin a CB already and he is coming off of a good season

i know corners dont usually get new contracts at his age, but he is playing better now than when he was younger

I don't know.  Problem is that Butler is very good in nickel packages, but he is less than serviceable as an outside CB.  Since Robinson was also much better before the Colts put him on the outside, I favor signing a true good #2 CB, forcing Robinson (who is already under a contract) back to the nickel.  Under that scenario, it's pretty hard to imagine signing Butler to take those same reps...

On 12/25/2016 at 10:08 PM, Synthetic said:

The result of paying Luck that absolute insane monster contract. 

Cap hell is coming....you just wait in a few years. 

Not exactly. Luck only is counting a little bit over $17 million against the cap. Every year the salary cap increases, (normally around $10) or so. Despite the amount of money Luck got (a lot of it was guaranteed) and his contract appears to be cap friendly. Plus, you can also restructure contracts.

On 12/30/2016 at 6:50 AM, Archer said:

You would want Kirkpatrick?

Give me Gilmore from Buffalo.

On 12/25/2016 at 0:40 AM, CR91 said:

Estimated cap is 60m

Release 

Robinson saves 2.5m

Langford saves 4.25m

Gore saves 3.5m

Jackson saves 5.5m

Jones saves 5.2m

Cap is 81m

If I'm correct:

Mathis is 9M retired.

Cole is 4M and UFA likely not resigned.

Walden is 4M and is UFA

So there's 17M, plenty of Money.  It's very unlikley and expensive to cut players under contract, you don't just keep the cash, as I understand it you only get a partial benefit.  So, don't expect us to cut Robinson, Jackson, Gore (why)? or Jones.  Just my opinion.

17 minutes ago, Rally5 said:

If I'm correct:

Mathis is 9M retired.

Cole is 4M and UFA likely not resigned.

Walden is 4M and is UFA

So there's 17M, plenty of Money.  It's very unlikley and expensive to cut players under contract, you don't just keep the cash, as I understand it you only get a partial benefit.  So, don't expect us to cut Robinson, Jackson, Gore (why)? or Jones.  Just my opinion.

Cole and Mathis are free agents after the season anyway. Their already included in the 60m

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

Cole and Mathis are free agents after the season anyway. Their already included in the 60m

We should have plenty of cap room to take care of key guys and get a couple impact FA's without cutting guys under contract.