Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is Devin Hester a hall of famer?

RockThatBlue

Yes, because he redefined the position. Some punters would purposely kick the ball out of bounds on kickoffs because they'd rather have the Bears offense start at the 40-yd line than risk giving up something far worse to Hester. Hester was also the first, and I believe only, player to ever score the opening kick return in a Superbowl.

Hester also had a number of ST trick plays under his sleeve, like the time he was faking a knee. There was also a game he returned a missed FG for a TD (yup, scored there, too). Hester was so dangerous, the Bears even used him on a trick play and let Johnny Knox return it, although there was a flag on that play, so it was called back.

Another fun fact is Hester was the first player in Madden history to have a 100 speed rating. There was a saying: "90% of the Bears offense was Devin Hester. The other 10% was their defense." This was during the days of QB Rex Grossman.

Now that Goodell has nearly ruined ST's, I don't see how we will ever have another return man, like Hester, ever again.

12 minutes ago, ReMeDy said:

Yes, because he redefined the position. Some punters would purposely kick the ball out of bounds on kickoffs because they'd rather have the Bears offense start at the 40-yd line than risk giving up something far worse to Hester. Hester was also the first, and I believe only, player to ever score the opening kick return in a Superbowl. He also had a number of ST trick plays under his sleeve, like the one time he looked like he was about to take a knee, then didn't (he scored). There was also a game he returned a missed FG for a TD (yup, scored there, too). Another fun fact is he was the first player in Madden history to have a 100 speed rating. There was a saying: "90% of the Bears offense was Devin Hester. The other 10% was their defense." This was during the days of QB Rex Grossman.

Now that Goodell has nearly ruined ST's, I don't see how we will ever have another return man, like Hester, ever again.

Terrific Post, I agree. When the SPTeams rules got changed that took away the Bears strongest advantage. Hester changed the game. He belongs in HOFame.

Btw, I'm kind of bias on this, because Hester is actually my favorite player, lol. Every time he took a PR or KR, I'd hold my breathe, and I'm thinking a lot of other people did too.

My favorite part was when Terry Holt -- who played for the Rams  -- was wired up and saying, "Don't kick it to him!" Then Hester made a fool out of the Rams and Holt was just like, "Yup... that'll do it..." (@ 2:47)

2 minutes ago, ReMeDy said:

Btw, I'm kind of bias on this, because Hester is actually my favorite player, lol. Every time he took a PR or KR, I'd hold my breathe, and I'm thinking a lot of other people did too.

My favorite part was when Terry Holt -- who played for the Rams  -- was wired up and saying, "Don't kick it to him!" Then Hester made a fool out of the Rams and Holt was just like, "Yup... that'll do it..." (@ 2:47)

He was that Great so be biased. The only other player I can think of right off hand that I wouldn't want to kick to is Deion.

I was hoping the Colts would have their own poor man's version of Hester with Josh Cribbs. At first, it seemed promising. Cribbs' first return went all the way for a TD, but it was called back. Overall, there was just one slight problem... he hated waving for a fair catch. Yea, kind of a deal breaker.

2 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

Another return man I enjoyed watching was Dante Hall. Dude was like a video game character with the way he would juke and spin. A big shame his career didn't last long.

Way back Metcalf was Great too, there have been a few where you might as well kick out of bounds or it would be trouble. When Hester returned the opening kick in the SB I was like, this cant be happening, it's our year.

14 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Way back Metcalf was Great too, there have been a few where you might as well kick out of bounds or it would be trouble. When Hester returned the opening kick in the SB I was like, this cant be happening, it's our year.

Not gonna lie, I thought we were screwed after Hester returned that. It was the worst possible way for that game to start. Luckily Rex Grossman was so terrible that Hesters TD meant nothing.

21 hours ago, ReMeDy said:

Yes, because he redefined the position. Some punters would purposely kick the ball out of bounds on kickoffs because they'd rather have the Bears offense start at the 40-yd line than risk giving up something far worse to Hester. Hester was also the first, and I believe only, player to ever score the opening kick return in a Superbowl.

Hester also had a number of ST trick plays under his sleeve, like the time he was faking a knee. There was also a game he returned a missed FG for a TD (yup, scored there, too). Hester was so dangerous, the Bears even used him on a trick play and let Johnny Knox return it, although there was a flag on that play, so it was called back.

Another fun fact is Hester was the first player in Madden history to have a 100 speed rating. There was a saying: "90% of the Bears offense was Devin Hester. The other 10% was their defense." This was during the days of QB Rex Grossman.

How did Goodell do this?

20 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Which Metcalf?      They were both great.      Two of my favorites!

Father Terry back in the 70's and 80's,  or the son, Eric,  in the 90's and early 2000's?

On 12/14/2016 at 7:47 PM, NewColtsFan said:

How did Goodell do this?

I think by changing the spot of the ball on kickoffs (of course this was with the owners' help), he has made it so there will likely never be (unless the rules change), a KO return man who will have the opportunities that Hester did (pretty much every kicker can kick the ball deep in the endzone with the new spotting rules, almost every time).  The only way kickers don't kick it to the back of the end-zone is because teams don't like giving the ball up on the 25 yard line (used to be 20 for touchbacks), so they squib it or kick it so it is almost nearly unreturnable in hopes/with high odds that they can stop the other team before reaching the 25.

The KO game will never be as exciting as it used to be, unless the revert to old rules.. a lot of it was done b/c that is arguably the most dangerous play in sports with all the wedge guys, etc., but that doesn't change the fact that we're unlikely to see a KO return man ever be as dominant or as dangerous as Hester again without a rule change back to the old ways.

Personally, I think Hester is a HOFer.  He made the 2000's all-decade team, is a 4x all-pro, and he revolutionized his position.  He changed the way the game was played, and he did it for ~10 years.  It is highly likely  several of his records ever get touched.

10 minutes ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

I think by changing the spot of the ball on kickoffs (of course this was with the owners' help), he has made it so there will likely never be (unless the rules change), a KO return man who will have the opportunities that Hester did (pretty much every kicker can kick the ball deep in the endzone with the new spotting rules, almost every time).  The only way kickers don't kick it to the back of the end-zone is because teams don't like giving the ball up on the 25 yard line (used to be 20 for touchbacks), so they squib it or kick it so it is almost nearly unreturnable in hopes/with high odds that they can stop the other team before reaching the 25.

The KO game will never be as exciting as it used to be, unless the revert to old rules.. a lot of it was done b/c that is arguably the most dangerous play in sports with all the wedge guys, etc., but that doesn't change the fact that we're unlikely to see a KO return man ever be as dominant or as dangerous as Hester again without a rule change back to the old ways.

Personally, I think Hester is a HOFer.  He made the 2000's all-decade team, is a 4x all-pro, and he revolutionized his position.  He changed the way the game was played, and he did it for ~10 years.  It is highly likely  several of his records ever get touched.

He was the Bears biggest advantage and once the kickoff rule got changed the Bears weren't the same, that alone he should be considered.

1 hour ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

Well.....    here's the deal.

Goodell don't make rules changes,  and neither do the owners.

The GM's and Coaches do.     They're on the competition committee and they're on the rules committee.

And if it means a safer game,  then I'm all for it.       The person I responded to wrote about Goodell "ruining" Special Teams.         How far into the ground does a person have to have buried their head to ignore the problem with conclusions.        And the poster was complaining about ruining special teams.      How nice.

If ruining special teams is ruining football for the person I responded to,  then I hope that poster becomes miserable.       If the game is harmed --- oh well --- I'm for players living longer, healthier lives.

This is bizarre to me.        I'm not trying to give you a hard time, Mike C.....     just the person I was originally responding to.      I understand and respect your post.      Just not his.

8 hours ago, Hi-Tek said:

Yes. He's the greatest return man of all-time. If you don't think he's a HOF then you don't really understand what the HOF is all about.

Pretty much how I feel. Hes basically the Tom Brady/Peyton Manning of returners. How could he not make it in? No one in NFL history has done what hes done as a returner, and most likely no one will ever out do his numbers. Great players make the HOF, and hes absolutely the GOAT of returners. I don't care that he wasn't good on offense, as he basically cancels that out with how great he was at returns.