Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Patrick Robinson placed on IR

TKnight24

50 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm sure you have PFF grades to back that up,  but I confess I'm surprised you have this view.

I think for a FA the kid is decent.    He's not very skilled,  but I think he's highly competitive.    I think he's been as good as Robinson -- not a high bar to clear -- and I think we've had worse.     And since he's young,  I think he'll get better.     

I also think he passes the eye ball test....    I don't see him getting beat badly very often,  and I wonder how much better he might be if we had any kind of pass rush.     I think he's a feisty guy whose play is better than the sum total of his physical gifts might suggest.    

Not using PFF.

Decent is a fair analysis, but I think even that's generous. They use him in off coverage most of the time, and he gives up underneath catches. When he plays up close, he gets beat off the line. He can't mirror receivers, and he's a penalty magnet. 

He has good size and speed, but his footwork is lacking and his hips are tight, so I don't see him having the traits of a good man cover corner, or a good nickel. I'd call him a CB4, and people are projecting him as a solid starter. I don't agree. He'd be a better fit in a press / Cover 3, IMO. Basically a Brandon Browner kind of guy.

On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 7:36 PM, NewColtsFan said:

I'm sure you have PFF grades to back that up,  but I confess I'm surprised you have this view.

I think for a FA the kid is decent.    He's not very skilled,  but I think he's highly competitive.    I think he's been as good as Robinson -- not a high bar to clear -- and I think we've had worse.     And since he's young,  I think he'll get better.     

I also think he passes the eye ball test....    I don't see him getting beat badly very often,  and I wonder how much better he might be if we had any kind of pass rush.     I think he's a feisty guy whose play is better than the sum total of his physical gifts might suggest.    

Melvin has an overall grade of 73.4 according to PFF grade.

He has an actual coverage grade of 73.3. in 380 coverage snaps.

When he has had to play the run he has a 50.2 run defense grade in 203 run defense snaps

He only has 1 pass rush snap

3 minutes ago, SilentHill said:

I didn't say the players were throwing in the towel, just the team. I'm sure the players have no choice if they go on IR or not.

The anti-Grigson in someone can conjecture that Grigson is stacking the odds against Pagano by making a decision to err on the side of caution and placing players on IR. If Pagano continues to win, it strengthens Grigson's side "see, I told you we could win with these guys, these coaches just do not get it done consistently". Of course, the above is just a suggested conspiracy theory. :)

Personally, if the Colts do not make the playoffs but continue to win or lose, Pagano and his coaches still end up in a no-win situation due to road wins vs Packers and Vikings illustrating their inconsistency. There is some merit to the inconsistent game planning alleged against the coaches, clearly.