Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Roster Moves

TKnight24

20 minutes ago, akcolt said:

I like Rhodes I was hoping we'd look at him in the draft. Played at William & Mary has speed to play sideline to sideline and coverage is a strength. He can't be worse than Morrison at anything 

I don't think you realize.....

Rhodes was NOT brought in to play regular snaps.

He's brought in for special teams, because Morrison is going to start and play the regular snaps that used to go to DQJ.

Because,  yes,   yes he can be worse than Morrison at anything.....

I like Rick Venturi's analysis and he calls Morrison a "railroad track guy", meaning if the ball carrier is coming on a straight line then he can bring the wood and do the job.  Where he struggles is when they wiggle because he is too slow to catch up and he whiffs a lot because of it.  BTW, he says the same about Edwin Jackson as well so there's that.

4 hours ago, Shafty138 said:

Not to mention, Morrison gets practice reps..... A Luke Rhodes, probably carries stuff at Practice, brings donuts in the morning, and practices blocking on Special Teams...... gets a bit of scout team burn..... and that's all

We were looking at Rhodes prior to the draft. He had a good preseason for the Bucs. He was a final cut and a surprise to more than a couple of those who follow TB. He's been with us for 2 months. He is faster and more athletic than Morrison. Don't be shocked if he gets a look. We know what Morrison can do. Everyone has to start somewhere.   

Tale of the Tape on Rhodes:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/luke-rhodes?id=2556155

Pro Day Results

40-yard dash: 4.71 seconds
Vertical: 35 inches
Broad jump: 9 feet, 10 inches
Short shuttle: 4.32 seconds
3-cone: 7.13 seconds
Bench: 29 reps of 225 pounds

Strengths

Outstanding, athletic build with good muscular definition throughout. Former high school running back who possesses some straight line speed. Vocal leader elected captain two years in a row. Has strength to hold his ground in the hole. Plays with awareness in pass coverage. Stuffs cut attempts and continues his flow.

Weaknesses

Runaway freight train once he gets to top speed. Too stiff to stop suddenly and change directions. Missing agility to make tackles at challenging angles consistently. Too much time wasted on keys and takes too long to find the ball. Will flow past his run fit at times. Needs to improve hands to be better as take­-on linebacker. Doesn't play the game downhill enough.

Bottom Line

Big, athletic build, but plays with a lack of bend and marginal instincts for the middle. Rhodes does a decent job of handling himself in pass coverage, but will need to work on his hands and approach to the run game if he wants to make a team. His special teams play in pre­season might be the key to giving him a shot.

11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don't think you realize.....

Rhodes was NOT brought in to play regular snaps.

He's brought in for special teams, because Morrison is going to start and play the regular snaps that used to go to DQJ.

Because,  yes,   yes he can be worse than Morrison at anything.....

I've not been impressed with Morrison. I'm being kind. Hopefully he steps it up because this is a critical stretch here.

Morrison and Jackson give us two Thumpers in the run game.  I'm okay with Jackson against the pass, but Morrison I have very little confidence in that arena.  He lacks speed, busts coverages at times and is still feeling his way around.  Or at least he was when they tried to give him playing time.   It's been a couple games now and I could see his understanding of the defense being better. However the Speed issue is still there, the lack of agility is still there.  You can't or wouldn't be wise to play man coverage with him on the field.   If they have plans to take him off the field on passing downs then it calms some of my fears I guess.  Problem is on some run downs they may audible to a pass and there's all kinds of favorable matchups available against him.

17 hours ago, krunk said:

Morrison and Jackson give us two Thumpers in the run game.  I'm okay with Jackson against the pass, but Morrison I have very little confidence in that arena.  He lacks speed, busts coverages at times and is still feeling his way around.  Or at least he was when they tried to give him playing time.   It's been a couple games now and I could see his understanding of the defense being better. However the Speed issue is still there, the lack of agility is still there.  You can't or wouldn't be wise to play man coverage with him on the field.   If they have plans to take him off the field on passing downs then it calms some of my fears I guess.  Problem is on some run downs they may audible to a pass and there's all kinds of favorable matchups available against him.

Morrison is pretty much useless unless they run the ball inside the tackles. Interestingly enough that was the book on him coming out. An undersized  box LB that lacked the speed to play side line to side line, struggled in space and was a liability in coverage. He's certainly lived up to the billing. The kid probably goes undrafted if we don't spend a 4th. The 125th player taken...

The thing is Grig's and Company really thought they had something.  You put that with the story that Ferguson was being considered as early as the 4th and that they thought Blythe could play OG. It has to be a cause for concern. Everyone can laugh and say Blythe was a 7th rounder. He was a 7th who had no business on the 53 man and sure as heck should have never been at RG in a game with Luck under C. 

I would love for Morrison to suddenly be able to move but I'm not betting on it.