Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

pats system

OLD FAN MAN

23 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It still doesn't matter, it's pretty clear Peyton carried the Colts much more than Brady has carried the Pats.

I can agree with that. But that's a shame because imagine what the Colts could have done if they built a system around Peyton that could. Excel even when he did not. 

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, JimJaime said:

I can agree with that. But that's a shame because imagine what the Colts could have done if they built a system around Peyton that could. Excel even when he did not. 

I think we had some Great talent on Defense in the Peyton years but were never Great as a unit. Freeney and Mathis were Great pass Rushers and when Sanders was healthy he was an Elite player. In 2007 had Freeney not got injured we probably would've beat SD in the Playoffs which would've set up a match between Indy at NE that season for the AFC. I don't think Dungy was a Great Coach either. He was Good but there is a difference between Good and Great. He seem to not have the team prepared in many Playoff games. Examples at NYJ in 2002, at NE in 2004 and 2005 vs Pitt. Belichick always has his teams prepared and wins a lot when his key players are even injured.

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think we had some Great talent on Defense in the Peyton years but were never Great as a unit. Freeney and Mathis were Great pass Rushers and when Sanders was healthy he was an Elite player. In 2007 had Freeney not got injured we probably would've beat SD in the Playoffs which would've set up a match between Indy at NE that season for the AFC. I don't think Dungy was a Great Coach either. He was Good but there is a difference between Good and Great. He seem to not have the team prepared in many Playoff games. Examples at NYJ in 2002, at NE in 2004 and 2005 vs Pitt. Belichick always has his teams prepared and wins a lot when his key players are even injured.

I think you hit the nail on the head. What the colts missed was that HC that could put all the elements together.. Some superstars but a lot of role players doing their jobs.  Dingy wasn't a bad coach he was good, not great IMO. 

1 hour ago, King Colt said:

I had to laugh when it was said on TV last week because Garrapolo is doing so well Brady might be out. Brady will never wear another uniform and yes I know Montana, Namath and Unitas did but not so with Brady

I don't know... You said it yourself, Montana, Unitas, Namath, not to mention Manning and Favre all played for other teams... What happens when Brady falls off? It happens to all athletes and I have a tough time seeing Brady hanging it up on anybody else's timeline.

I agree that seeing it actually happen would be a surprise, though. 

12 hours ago, King Colt said:

I had to laugh when it was said on TV last week because Garrapolo is doing so well Brady might be out. Brady will never wear another uniform and yes I know Montana, Namath and Unitas did but not so with Brady

I hope you are right, but BB said 'we will always do what is right for the team' about twelve times today and I'm not sure he was talking about Thursday.  I could see Brady finishing his career on the west coast -- ideally for his Niners, but even for LA.  It's a business, after all.

No one knows for sure but the Brady / NE connection seems to me different maybe because of the percentage of success they have had. It is my opinion that previous great QBs mentioned here refused to admit father time is unbeatable. It's reminds me of the Elway / Broncos thing not saying Brady will own but it may in the future be offered to him. I just wish he would go away and take Hoody with him and I know I am not lone in that wish.

On 9/18/2016 at 7:58 PM, Jeff Tolle said:

I've been saying Brady is a system QB for years!

was he a system QB at Michigan too?

Brady battled for the starting job with Drew Henson,[36] ultimately starting every game in the 1998 and 1999 seasons under Michigan head coach Lloyd Carr. During his first full year as starter, he set new Michigan records for most pass attempts and completions in a season, for a total of 214.[41] Brady was All-Big Ten honorable mention both seasons, and was the team captain in his senior year. The Wolverines won 20 of 25 games when he started, and he set a school record for completions in a 31–16 loss against Ohio State in 1998, a season in which Michigan shared the Big Ten Conference title. Brady capped that season with a win over Arkansas in the Citrus Bowl.[42]

In the 1999 season, Brady had to once again hold off Henson for the starting job. The two platooned over the season's first seven games, with Brady playing the first quarter, Henson the second and Carr then deciding upon a quarterback for the second half. The 1999 Michigan Wolverines started off 5–0, including a 26–22 win over Notre Dame, and a road win against eventual powerhouse Wisconsin. Against Michigan State, Brady was not chosen to play the second half; however, he was reinserted into the game with Michigan down 17, and he nearly led Michigan all the way back before losing 34–31. After a 300-yard passing game the following week, Carr went exclusively with Brady for the remainder of the season. Brady went on to lead Michigan to multiple 4th-quarter comebacks, including a remarkable 31–27 win against Penn State, and leading them out of a close game against Indiana, 34–31, heading into the regular season's final game, winners of three straight, earning him the moniker of "Comeback Kid".

Brady concluded the regular season against Michigan's rival,
Ohio State, in a dramatic game, with a trip to the Orange Bowl on the line. With five minutes left, tied 17–17, Brady led Michigan to the winning score. He led Michigan to an overtime win in the Orange Bowl over Alabama, throwing for 369 yards, four touchdowns, leading the team back from a pair of 14-point deficits in regulation (14–0 in the first half, and 28–14 in the second). He threw the game-winning score on a bootleg to tight end Shawn Thompson. Michigan won when Alabama missed an extra point following its own touchdown.

The two seasons that Brady started at Michigan, he posted a 20–5 record, including his two largest victories at the Citrus Bowl (1999) and the Orange Bowl (2000). Brady finished his career ranking 3rd in Michigan history with 710 attempts and 442 completions, 4th with 5,351 yards and 62.3 completion percentage, and 5th with 35 touchdown passes.
[27][43]

1 hour ago, Bad Morty said:

was he a system QB at Michigan too?

Brady battled for the starting job with Drew Henson,[36] ultimately starting every game in the 1998 and 1999 seasons under Michigan head coach Lloyd Carr. During his first full year as starter, he set new Michigan records for most pass attempts and completions in a season, for a total of 214.[41] Brady was All-Big Ten honorable mention both seasons, and was the team captain in his senior year. The Wolverines won 20 of 25 games when he started, and he set a school record for completions in a 31–16 loss against Ohio State in 1998, a season in which Michigan shared the Big Ten Conference title. Brady capped that season with a win over Arkansas in the Citrus Bowl.[42]

In the 1999 season, Brady had to once again hold off Henson for the starting job. The two platooned over the season's first seven games, with Brady playing the first quarter, Henson the second and Carr then deciding upon a quarterback for the second half. The 1999 Michigan Wolverines started off 5–0, including a 26–22 win over Notre Dame, and a road win against eventual powerhouse Wisconsin. Against Michigan State, Brady was not chosen to play the second half; however, he was reinserted into the game with Michigan down 17, and he nearly led Michigan all the way back before losing 34–31. After a 300-yard passing game the following week, Carr went exclusively with Brady for the remainder of the season. Brady went on to lead Michigan to multiple 4th-quarter comebacks, including a remarkable 31–27 win against Penn State, and leading them out of a close game against Indiana, 34–31, heading into the regular season's final game, winners of three straight, earning him the moniker of "Comeback Kid".

Brady concluded the regular season against Michigan's rival,
Ohio State, in a dramatic game, with a trip to the Orange Bowl on the line. With five minutes left, tied 17–17, Brady led Michigan to the winning score. He led Michigan to an overtime win in the Orange Bowl over Alabama, throwing for 369 yards, four touchdowns, leading the team back from a pair of 14-point deficits in regulation (14–0 in the first half, and 28–14 in the second). He threw the game-winning score on a bootleg to tight end Shawn Thompson. Michigan won when Alabama missed an extra point following its own touchdown.

The two seasons that Brady started at Michigan, he posted a 20–5 record, including his two largest victories at the Citrus Bowl (1999) and the Orange Bowl (2000). Brady finished his career ranking 3rd in Michigan history with 710 attempts and 442 completions, 4th with 5,351 yards and 62.3 completion percentage, and 5th with 35 touchdown passes.
[27][43]

He was so great in college he was drafted in the 6th round.  You obviously know little about Michigan football pre Rich Rodriguez.   They didn't throw the ball much.  He I'd certainly a grey nfl qb,  but using his college stats to prove anything doesn't make sense