Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Predict the MVP for this season

RockThatBlue

Jalen Ramsey had a small meniscus tear, in a knee we found out he had a microfracture procedure on in high school. To me, he's on borrowed time, but is fully healthy at the moment and will make hay while the knee allows.

Myles jack had meniscus surgery in Sept 2015 and missed his season.  It was thought a possible or future mocrofracture procedure might be needed, but that has been deferred for now.  So IMHO, he is healthy but also on borrowed time too.

Jaylon Smith had drop foot/nerve damage with his injury and the Cowboys spent big on a huge risk. Teddy Bridgewater was (and to a degree may still be) in peril of damaging that same (Peroneal) nerve that Smith suffers from. It will be a while longer before Jaylon's progressed can be assessed, and they'll have to see after TB's surgery how his rehab timetable will likely go.

I played Fantasy Baseball in the 1990's, and learned rooting for other teams players ruined the experience for me.

Reminds me when my Grandparents took me to a ballgame at Crosley Field in Cincinnati.  My Grandmother wanted the Reds to win, and Willie Mays to hit 4 Homerun's.  At the end of the evening, the reds lost to the giants and Willie Mays wore the Golden Sombrero  (0 for 4, all four of them strikeouts) and one base on balls (a Walk). But in the end, the Reds lost the game.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CIN/CIN196706070.shtml

Some famous ball players on both teams at that game, when I was just 8.

Crosley Field was cool and cozy, but old and undersized.  Cookie Cutter style (along with Cards Busch Stadium and Pirates 3 Rivers Stadium)  Riverfront Stadium was built and used just 3 years later for the Reds World Series appearances.

From Crosley-

crosley-field4-1920x1080.jpg

To Riverfront-

Playing%20Field-3.jpg

To Great American Ballpark-

GABP-510.jpg

I loved the Reds, and Reds baseball.  Too bad both Fantasy Baseball, coinciding with the 'Steroid' and "Juiced Ball" era essentially ruined it for me, allowing the Colts to overtake and get top notch in my 'fandom'.  I will not let fantasy football or Fan Duel games, etc.. ruin my escape from he daily grind or my support of the Horseshoe.

But I don't care what others do in the same regards, it's just not for me.

15 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Bell will have to have a monster year to win it.   He is gonna be home for 3 weeks watching.  If Luck makes it through the season healthy he will win it IMO

I did take that into account. But everyone here is picking Luck. I wanted to select someone different. I will probably be wrong.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

@ColtsBlue and NFLfan, NAHHHHHH my list is the best (sarcasm). It probably will be tough for JJ Watt to win DPOY again though considering he has won it 2 years in a row. I am not certain he will stay healthy all season either but I couldn't pick against him. If Luck has any kind of Good season he will run away with CPOY just based on reputation alone. Aaron Rodgers is going to feast on teams like the Bears and Lions in his Division as well.

LOL.

Some other picks that caught my attention-  Khalil Mack   (He's my #4 but they're all so close!)

Philips Rivers   If Chargers start to win, and Rivers keeps up his pace, well....

9 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Jalen Ramsey had a small meniscus tear, in a knee we found out he had a microfracture procedure on in high school. To me, he's on borrowed time, but is fully healthy at the moment and will make hay while the knee allows.

Myles jack had meniscus surgery in Sept 2015 and missed his season.  It was thought a possible or future mocrofracture procedure might be needed, but that has been deferred for now.  So IMHO, he is healthy but also on borrowed time too.

Jaylon Smith had drop foot/nerve damage with his injury and the Cowboys spent big on a huge risk. Teddy Bridgewater was (and to a degree may still be) in peril of damaging that same (Peroneal) nerve that Smith suffers from. It will be a while longer before Jaylon's progressed can be assessed, and they'll have to see after TB's surgery how his rehab timetable will likely go.

I played Fantasy Baseball in the 1990's, and learned rooting for other teams players ruined the experience for me.

Reminds me when my Grandparents took me to a ballgame at Crosley Field in Cincinnati.  My Grandmother wanted the Reds to win, and Willie Mays to hit 4 Homerun's.  At the end of the evening, the reds lost to the giants and Willie Mays wore the Golden Sombrero  (0 for 4, all four of them strikeouts) and one base on balls (a Walk). But in the end, the Reds lost the game.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CIN/CIN196706070.shtml

Some famous ball players on both teams at that game, when I was just 8.

Crosley Field was cool and cozy, but old and undersized.  Cookie Cutter style (along with Cards Busch Stadium and Pirates 3 Rivers Stadium)  Riverfront Stadium was built and used just 3 years later for the Reds World Series appearances.

From Crosley-

crosley-field4-1920x1080.jpg

To Riverfront-

Playing%20Field-3.jpg

To Great American Ballpark-

GABP-510.jpg

I loved the Reds, and Reds baseball.  Too bad both Fantasy Baseball, coinciding with the 'Steroid' and "Juiced Ball" era essentially ruined it for me, allowing the Colts to overtake and get top notch in my 'fandom'.  I will not let fantasy football or Fan Duel games, etc.. ruin my escape from he daily grind or my support of the Horseshoe.

But I don't care what others do in the same regards, it's just not for me.

You know, I always said the same thing. My brother-in-law begged me for a few years to join our family league. I told him that I thought FF would take away from  the pleasure of watching real football. I once wrote this here (before I agreed to play) and I was lambasted by one of your fellow Colts fans here. I have come to like it. I have played 2 years. 

BTW, my Mets swept your Reds. Can I return Jay Bruce? ;)

3 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I have come to like it. I have played 2 years. 

Awesome!  Still not for me.   ;-)

3 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

BTW, my Mets swept your Reds. Can I return Jay Bruce? ;)

The Reds have sucked ever since I pulled my support and dollars for them. Coincidence?  Hmmmm.......

You can keep Bruce.  OTOH, I can only recognize a few names on the Reds now (Votto, Hamilton, Phillips) when years ago I knew all on the roster and the best AAA and AA prospects.  No longer. Did the Reds finish last?

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

@ColtsBlue and NFLfan, NAHHHHHH my list is the best (sarcasm). It probably will be tough for JJ Watt to win DPOY again though considering he has won it 2 years in a row. I am not certain he will stay healthy all season either but I couldn't pick against him. If Luck has any kind of Good season he will run away with CPOY just based on reputation alone. Aaron Rodgers is going to feast on teams like the Bears and Lions in his Division as well.

haha  Let me preface this by saying that while I am a Vikings fan, I really don't "hate" the Packers, Bears or Lions. Actually, I would love to see the Lions win something. They never do. The teams I "hate" are the Cowboys and Pats, probably because I am around their fans all the time. 

Anyway, I just don't get why so many people think Rodgers will win MVP. I would put Cam, Ben, and Russell before him.  I think I would put Luck before him too.

38 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

haha  Let me preface this by saying that while I am a Vikings fan, I really don't "hate" the Packers, Bears or Lions. Actually, I would love to see the Lions win something. They never do. The teams I "hate" are the Cowboys and Pats, probably because I am around their fans all the time. 

Anyway, I just don't get why so many people think Rodgers will win MVP. I would put Cam, Ben, and Russell before him.  I think I would put Luck before him too.

I don't see Cam having near the season he had last season. I understand he is getting Benjamin back but that was a career year he had last season. They wont go 15-1 again either. Ben has never won a MVP and I just don't see him even being in the Top 3 for that award. Wilson wont have the Stats IMO to win the award. I think part of the reason why I have Rodgers winning MVP is because I think the Packers will get the #1 Seed in the NFC.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I don't see Cam having near the season he had last season. I understand he is getting Benjamin back but that was a career year he had last season. They wont go 15-1 again either. Ben has never won a MVP and I just don't see him even being in the Top 3 for that award. Wilson wont have the Stats IMO to win the award. I think part of the reason why I have Rodgers winning MVP is because I think the Packers will get the #1 Seed in the NFC.

You greatly underestimate Russell Wilson. Go check out his stats. He probably has the best first four years stat-wise of any player in the league. Look at his stats last year AFTER Lynch went out. I think his team will continue to loosen the shackles so that he can show what he can do. 

You may be right about Cam... Ben Roethlisberger is one of my favorite QBs.  I think he is one of the most underrated QBs ever. He is a first ballot HoFer!  He is still going strong. I would not be surprised if he has a great year.

9 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

You greatly underestimate Russell Wilson. Go check out his stats. He probably has the best first four years stat-wise of any player in the league. Look at his stats last year AFTER Lynch went out. I think his team will continue to loosen the shackles so that he can show what he can do. 

You may be right about Cam... Ben Roethlisberger is one of my favorite QBs.  I think he is one of the most underrated QBs ever. He is a first ballot HoFer!  He is still going strong. I would not be surprised if he has a great year.

I agree Ben is a HOFamer but I don't see him as an MVP guy, JMO. Luck's stats are just as great as Wilson's are in his first 4 seasons as a whole because of Yardage and TD passes. Had Luck not missed 9 games he would have more TD passes and he still has more Passing yardage in 9 less games. Wilson has a great reputation because of his SB win. Had he not won that SB I seriously doubt anyone in the media would even consider him better than Luck. The Seahawks won that SB mainly because of their running game and Defense as well. Keep in mind he also had the worst blunder in SB history that cost his team another Ring. In my opinion Rodgers will have better Stats than Wilson or Ben when it comes to TD passes and Passing Yards.

29 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I agree Ben is a HOFamer but I don't see him as an MVP guy, JMO. Luck's stats are just as great as Wilson's are in his first 4 seasons as a whole because of Yardage and TD passes. Had Luck not missed 9 games he would have more TD passes and he still has more Passing yardage in 9 less games. Wilson has a great reputation because of his SB win. Had he not won that SB I seriously doubt anyone in the media would even consider him better than Luck. The Seahawks won that SB mainly because of their running game and Defense as well. Keep in mind he also had the worst blunder in SB history that cost his team another Ring. In my opinion Rodgers will have better Stats than Wilson or Ben when it comes to TD passes and Passing Yards.

The biggest blunder is one moment!  Is that supposed to tarnish or dismiss an otherwise stellar beginning of a career?  

I am not referring to Wison's SB win/appearances or number of TDs. I actually don't put as much value on TDs as many do. I put greater emphasis on wins. (See Blake Bortles -- lots of TDs  in garbage time.) Look at Wilson's stats overall. Look at his completion % and his low number of INTs. I look at how a player can extend drives. He does that. Despite that infamous blunder, he does not make many mistakes. His overall QB rating for his first 4 years is better than anyone in recent history except maybe Ben -- it is either him or Ben, I believe. They are first and second. 

Now, just because I say this does not mean I am saying he is better than Luck. You brought it up. I think we can appreciate other QBs without dismissing another one's accomplishments. :)

9 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

The biggest blunder is one moment!  Is that supposed to tarnish or dismiss an otherwise stellar beginning of a career?  

I am not referring to Wison's SB win/appearances or number of TDs. I actually don't put as much value on TDs as many do. I put greater emphasis on wins. (See Blake Bortakes -- lots of TDs  in garbage time.) Look at Wilson's stats overall. Look at his completion % and his low number of INTs. I look at how a player can extend drives. He does that. Despite that infamous blunder, he does not make many mistakes. His overall QB rating for his first 4 years is better than anyone in recent history except maybe Ben -- it is either him or Ben, I believe. They are first and second. 

Now, just because I say this does not mean I am saying he is better than Luck. You brought it up. I think we can appreciate other QBs without dismissing another one's accomplishments. :)

I have said many times Russell Wilson and Andrew Luck are pretty even. Just wanted to point out that the main reason why many have Wilson and Luck fairly even is because he has won a SB, that is just my opinion. Wilson and Luck both are Very Good, Cam is Very Good, Rodgers and Brady are Great. To me Ben is a HOFamer so we agree 100% on that and I would say he is Great as well. Drew Brees makes the Great category too but I doubt the Saints make the Playoffs.

12 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

Who would you have given it to last year?  I understand they had a good running game and their scheme was good, but a good scheme alone doesn't get you to be the number 1 scoring offense in the league.  You need a good scheme, but you need talented players to carry it out.  And you need a QB to lead that, which Cam did

I would have given it to Antonio Brown, but that is me.

11 hours ago, SilentHill said:

I would have given it to Antonio Brown, but that is me.

Fair enough, and there's no arguing that Brown is one of the best players in the league.  The only thing holding him back is the structure of the game of football.  Elite QB play will help you win more than elite WR play.  An elite QB can help the running game because defenses can't stack the box, he can help the defense by scoring more points and letting the D be more aggressive, etc.  An elite WR can't do as much as an elite QB.  That's no fault of Brown's, it's just how the game is set up.  I don't like all the emphasis on QBs, but there's no denying elite QB play, which Cam showed, is more valuable than elite WR play, which Brown showed.