Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

BlueShoe's 53 man roster projection

BlueShoe

Just now, Hoosiernsavga said:

Well I believe Ridley will make it if he stays healthy. But honestly him and Todman both are not good. But as a 3rd back I guess one or the other will have to do! 

Nah Ridley can play. Good guy to have for a 3rd back as long as he's stopped the fumbles.  He's already recovered from the knee injury.  Guy can tote the rock and he can catch the ball through the air.  Fits this system perfectly.

19 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

Good God! I just hope most of our defensive backs can heal quickly. I have us keeping 10. Clayton Geathers will not count against the 53 man roster until he is removed from the Non-Football Injury list. Right now I have Dezmen Southward slated to fill Geathers shoes, but I don't rule out us picking up a player who is cut from another team. There could be some real surprises here. I am sure the front office is not comfortable going into the season with things the way they currently are. I would not rule out a trade with future draft picks or even talking someone out of retirement. We are hurting really bad here. Jalil Brown is not safe at all.

Defensive Backs
1 21 Vontae Davis
2 25 Patrick Robinson
3 29 Mike Adams
4 34 Antonio Cromartie
5 32 T.J. Green
6 30 D'Joun Smith
7 20 Darius Butler
8 31 Jalil Brown
9 27 Winston Guy
10 41 Dezmen Southward

On Tuesday, the Colts trimmed their roster down to the mandated number of 75 players (plus one more). They waived inside linebacker Anthony Sarao and cornerback Darius White. The team also placed safety Dezmen Southward on the Injured Reserve list.

36 minutes ago, Hoosiernsavga said:

Well I believe Ridley will make it if he stays healthy. But honestly him and Todman both are not good. But as a 3rd back I guess one or the other will have to do! 

IMO it was a mistake to waive Trey Williams.I liked him in his limited opportunity.

17 hours ago, Everyone said:

I'd rather keep Maggitt instead of a 3rd QB that won't contribute to anything.  If Luck goes down they aren't doing anything anyway. Just my near worthless two cents. Other than that it's a good mock.

Yeah if Luck goes down just bring Morris back if he's still available. 

First, this is as good as any right now.  However...

Morris is not making the final 53 with all the injuries they have.  No way can they carry a 3rd QB with all the guys who have injury issues.  He is likely head to the PS. 

Ridley is a long shot at best as well.  See the QB point above for why 4 RB's on the 53 is unlikely.  

Any attempt at a final 53 should include about 5 TBD spots because they will be adding other players who are cut elsewhere.

Blueshoe will probably come close to nailing this. I couldn't of Posted anything better at this point but we may not keep 3 QB's, so that is possible. I like Morris better than Tolzien for what it's worth.

What is "nailing it"? Is it getting 90% right? 80%?

I would guess 7 to 8 guys he has listed now won't make the final roster.

To me there are obvious guys he has listed who won't be there. And then there are the ones who will certainly be added after final cuts.

1 hour ago, 1959Colts said:

On Tuesday, the Colts trimmed their roster down to the mandated number of 75 players (plus one more). They waived inside linebacker Anthony Sarao and cornerback Darius White. The team also placed safety Dezmen Southward on the Injured Reserve list.

Too bad for Dezman. He had an outside shot at making the team. It would have likely been short-lived though.

McClure would be the next on my mock depth chart. But we might just pick up a player from another teams cuts.

1 hour ago, jskinnz said:

To me there are obvious guys he has listed who won't be there. And then there are the ones who will certainly be added after final cuts.

It's all subjective at this point.

What 7 or 8 guys do you believe (who I have making the team) will not make the roster?

Dezman is on IR so there is 1 easy answer. Who are the other 6 or 7? 

I don't think it is safe to say I will miss 7 or 8 players plus additional players for final cuts. I won't be that for off. I never am. Your response insinuates that I will miss 10 or 11. I doubt very seriously that happens. Maybe 4 or 5 total, and that's including final cuts brought in from other teams. 

Anyway, it all just a guessing game, and the thread was intended to bring about a conversation. It's not really about nailing this or that. I don't work for the front office, so I don't have enough inside information to nail anything. I think most of it is easy to read through though.

It's all subjective at this point.

What 7 or 8 guys do you believe (who I have making the team) will not make the roster?

Dezman is on IR so there is 1 easy answer. Who are the other 6 or 7? 

I don't think it is safe to say I will miss 7 or 8 players plus additional players for final cuts. I won't be that for off. I never am. Your response insinuates that I will miss 10 or 11. I doubt very seriously that happens. Maybe 4 or 5 total, and that's including final cuts brought in from other teams. 

Anyway, it all just a guessing game, and the thread was intended to bring about a conversation. It's not really about nailing this or that. I don't work for the front office, so I don't have enough inside information to nail anything. I think most of it is easy to read through though.

Look I said in my first post your guess was as good as any with a couple of glaring keeps that won't happen. Plus there will be those cuts that surprise and then the reality of what the roster looks like on Sunday will be different than it wlll be on Monday. Never said 10 or 11. Said 7 to 8. So is getting 85% correct nailing it?

1 hour ago, jskinnz said:

Look I said in my first post your guess was as good as any with a couple of glaring keeps that won't happen. Plus there will be those cuts that surprise and then the reality of what the roster looks like on Sunday will be different than it wlll be on Monday. Never said 10 or 11. Said 7 to 8. So is getting 85% correct nailing it?

I also agree that we will see some surprise cuts, and the roster is always evolving this time of year. You're right; we will see a couple of changes even after the initial 53 man roster is set. It happens every year. I have no idea what percent is "nailing it". I never said I would nail anything. I only offered my opinion. Thanks for the kind words though.

I am curious of your opinion. What players do you disagree with me the most? I haven't disagreed with anyone's logic in this thread so far (except for that cut Allen reply, but I am hoping that was some kind of joke I did not get), and I am sure you will offer some additional insight. You usually do.

2 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

Too bad for Dezman. He had an outside shot at making the team. It would have likely been short-lived though.

McClure would be the next on my mock depth chart. But we might just pick up a player from another teams cuts.

What about Clayton Geathers? He would still count against the roster.

Edit: Never mind. Forgot he was on the NFI list.

22 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

Stephen Morris has earned a spot on this roster. It will be very hard, but I think we should keep all three.

I didn't see enough from Tolzien to keep him. Morris is too good to lose. That way we don't have to cut Maggit

22 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

I also agree that we will see some surprise cuts, and the roster is always evolving this time of year. You're right; we will see a couple of changes even after the initial 53 man roster is set. It happens every year. I have no idea what percent is "nailing it". I never said I would nail anything. I only offered my opinion. Thanks for the kind words though.

I am curious of your opinion. What players do you disagree with me the most? I haven't disagreed with anyone's logic in this thread so far (except for that cut Allen reply, but I am hoping that was some kind of joke I did not get), and I am sure you will offer some additional insight. You usually do.

Of those on the bubble, with few exceptions, I don't have any idea of who will be cut and who will be kept.  I find these predictions along with mock drafts to be exercises in futility.  But I read the mocks in the Spring and these types of threads at this time of year.

I do undertand how teams try to manage their roster so I think Geathers stays on PUP just to help them with their DB injuries and buy some time.  I also think they put Morris on the PS because they simply can't afford his roster spot right now.  (I believe he is still PS eligible)  Past that I would just be guessing.

And I was responding to someone else who said you nailed it.  I know you did not say that.

1 hour ago, CoachLite said:

I didn't see enough from Tolzien to keep him. Morris is too good to lose. That way we don't have to cut Maggit

I would not be against that at all.

Love the Bentley pic. One of my favorite Colts of all time. 

5 hours ago, CoachLite said:

Morris is doing well against guys who will be out of football in a week.  I am sorry he has to do a lot more than that to be thoght of as too good to lose.  

As as I have said before it's not just how you play in the pre-season that matters who you do it agianst matters too.  Most NFL coaches will value holding your own against NFL second stringers and some first stringers more than tearing it up against bottom of the roster guys.  

3 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Morris is doing well against guys who will be out of football in a week.  I am sorry he has to do a lot more than that to be thoght of as too good to lose.  

As as I have said before it's not just how you play in the pre-season that matters who you do it agianst matters too.  Most NFL coaches will value holding your own against NFL second stringers and some first stringers more than tearing it up against bottom of the roster guys.  

It's not who Morris is playing against. It is his demeanor and control of the game given who he is playing with.

1 hour ago, CoachLite said:

Obviously, Albert Bentley is one of my all time favorites. Very underrated running back.

He was fun to watch, and often overshadowed by Dickerson. Had he played for a good team then he might have become a household name. The latter can also be said about Jeff Herrod.