Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Robert Matis likes what he see's in T. Bates

Lawrence Owen

http://www.heraldbulletin.com/indianaanderson/rookie-olb-bates-could-figure-into-colts-edge-rusher-mix/article_d49b9dbe-5767-11e6-98a0-771b55f83f97.html

"Very smart and instinctive player," Mathis said. "He's kind of one of my favorite rookies right now. So I'm a big fan. He does what he needs to do to get better each and every day."

If Trevor has Mathis' attention, that is a good thing.  Similar size, hight and weight wise.  If he continues to listen and work, He could churn out some good help where the D needs it most.

"I've gotten beat in coverage by T.Y. and stuff like that. It's just little techniques that I gotta work on and stay disciplined with," Bates said. "But as far as up front, they're big boys up front, and so you've gotta be physical. You've gotta be violent.

I absolutely LOVE the last sentence.  This is what we need from our front 7.  Hard nosed, physical, 'violent' players.  between him and Morrison, it seems Indy knew exqactly the kind of guys they were looking for to add to the linebacking corps.  And I like it.  Now if they can make the first step and impress enough to make the team.

1 hour ago, Ja'Crispy said:

"I've gotten beat in coverage by T.Y...."

You're not alone, kid.

My question is why an edge rusher was assigned to cover TY Hilton.  Of course he got beat, that's a total mismatch.  LB's arn't ment to cover receivers.  Especially burners like TY.  If TY didn't beat him I would be asking what was wrong with TY.

That would be like asking TY to step in and play center and block David Parry.  If David Parry didn't knock him on his rear I'd be asking what was wrong with David Parry. 

Just now, Valpo2004 said:

My question is why an edge rusher was assigned to cover TY Hilton.  Of course he got beat, that's a total mismatch.  LB's arn't ment to cover receivers.  Especially burners like TY.  

I prefer to picture Bates covering TY McGill in some bizarro game where linemen play skill positions.  But then if TY McGill is beating Bates, he is in trouble. 

40 minutes ago, Ja'Crispy said:

I prefer to picture Bates covering TY McGill in some bizarro game where linemen play skill positions.  But then if TY McGill is beating Bates, he is in trouble. 

Yeah part of me was wondering if he ment the other TY, but I'm pretty sure he ment Hilton because that makes a little more sense then the other way around.

44 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

My question is why an edge rusher was assigned to cover TY Hilton.  Of course he got beat, that's a total mismatch.  LB's arn't ment to cover receivers.  Especially burners like TY.  If TY didn't beat him I would be asking what was wrong with TY.

That would be like asking TY to step in and play center and block David Parry.  If David Parry didn't knock him on his rear I'd be asking what was wrong with David Parry. 

I'm guessing zone coverage.  And in that case, it doesn't matter who is in your zone you have to beat the guy who is there.

1 hour ago, Valpo2004 said:

I sincerely doubt TY was outside the #'s and the defense called for Bates to walk out with him.  What he surely talking about is a zone when he dropped into coverage.

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

A shame you have to explain this simple stuff to our fans.

A shame? lol It's a public forum. Lots of different people with lots of different levels of football knowledge :) 

2 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

It could also be situational.  If the D is in a base 3-4 and the O comes up with 3 or 4 WRs, especially in a bunch formation, then it becomes the luck of the draw so to speak on which WR breaks where.  That is part of an effective offense is that they are able to create mismatches that favor them.

32 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

It could also be situational.  If the D is in a base 3-4 and the O comes up with 3 or 4 WRs, especially in a bunch formation, then it becomes the luck of the draw so to speak on which WR breaks where.  That is part of an effective offense is that they are able to create mismatches that favor them.

I like that they practice this stuff. In a game, ideally you'd match up for personnel, but sometimes you get caught in your base defense against a sub package, or there's an iso formation or late adjustment that forces a mismatch. The Colts edge guys, especially Sam backers -- where Bates is likely getting a lot of reps -- have to drop into coverage several times a game. Sometimes they'll be matched up with a WR, no matter how much the coaches try to avoid putting them in that situation. I wouldn't expect Bates (or anyone else) to be able to hang with Hilton, but it's good for him to get plenty of practice out in space.