Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

OPC’s 3rd Day Prospects – Justin Zimmer, DL Scouting Report

Finally after a one year hiatus figuring life out as a first time father of a 8-9 month old (that is, the age at the time I would have done these last year), I am finally finding a little more time to squeeze in draft prospect reviews.  These write-ups are my favorite.  Trying to find that gem from nowhere and having him make substantial contributions above and beyond the expectations typically associated from a player picked in that particular round.

Justin Zimmer is just one of those guys.  With the proper coaching, he very well could be a solid starter in the NFL.  I won’t go so far as to say impact player, but it’s not off the table.  The only film I could find on him was over at hudl.com - http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1331218/highlights/314371380

Zimmer plays all over the line and is probably best suited as a DT in an even front.  He is a bit short for a DE in an odd front, but not to keep him from consideration.  Also, I would not at all be surprised if a 3-4 team tried to convert him into a Sam, in which case he’d have to drop a little weight and sacrifice some of his power for speed.  Of course, if I end up being correct, he’ll still have plenty of power left in his game to make that transition.

His explosiveness alone is reason for consideration.  According to Walter Football, at his pro day, which was today (3/18/16), he measured out at 6’2½” and 302 lbs.  He completed 44 reps on bench, vertical of 32 inches and a 9’9” broad jump.  He ran the 40 in the high 4.8 to low 4.9 range and his 3 cone time was 7.10.

On film, which are highlights, and also acknowledging the level of play, I see a player who gets extension and can peekaboo two gaps if necessary, but I obviously question whether that would translate to the NFL.  He appears to have good length, so the possibility is there.  He often has sloppy hand placement and inconsistent pad level, but when he gets it right, he goes wherever he wants to.  Generates a ton of power from his legs and core.  Even when he gets double teamed, it is difficult to move him. 

Athletically, his pro day results would put him close to or within the top 15 range for DL.  With the pads on, he is pretty fluid and has good short area burst off the snap and in space, although he can be a runaway freight train on occasion when needing to stop and redirect (though not prevalent).   Below Average to Average flexibility around the corner.  He does get good bend and leverage through his lower body.  He displays some pass rush moves, which all need serious work.  Without being able to watch a game from start to finish, it’s difficult to tell how much thought goes into his how works his opponent.  His bull rush, needs better consistent hand placement, but could be a plus move.  His swim could also be a plus move, but I would like to see his punch with the off hand be more violent, which shouldn’t be a problem given that his game already possesses a strong power element.  I’m not sure his rip movement would be anything but average.  He doesn’t really dip at all, and a lot of the times, the rip itself appears to be more ceremonial than necessary.  In the film, I didn’t see a lot of speed to power, not because he can’t do it, but because the selected plays for the highlight didn’t include it but once or twice.  Even so, I see potential.

One of my favorite things about this kid is that he has the things you can’t coach.  In addition to his freakish athleticism, he looks to have great instincts and motor.  I’d love to watch a full game, because I want to know if he ever takes a play off or misses a read, but given the film I watched, I can’t assume either of those things to be true.  At least with his awareness, if his coach or teammate told me he was a film junky, I would believe it.  He appears to know where the ball is at all times and the best way to get to it.  And in every play in the highlight reel, he was all 100% all the time.  A little mean-streak would be welcome, but he’s not soft by any means.

Right now, I think that with the benefit of rookie and summer camp, he could see time on special teams at some point during the season, FG block and/or kickoff return in particular.  When he sees any other playing time will depend on how quickly he implements better and more consistent technique and picks up on the NFL X’s and O’s, because physically, he is already able to take snaps, and mentally, I don’t see a player that has a hard time analyzing what’s going on around him.  I don’t think it’s out of the question to see him take snaps at some point on defense in his first year, but if he projects as well as I think he can, at least by his second year.

If I had to put a round on him, I would say he could go as high as the 5th round and as low as a 7th, but probably in the 6th.  Given my penchant for believing that any player I would take as fake GM learns and implements coachable technique to correct flaws with some success, I would not be opposed to spending a mid-late 5th.  Absent something from left field coming out during interviews or background check, he will get drafted.  I don’t think there’s any question about that.  He’s too athletic to not get drafted IMO.

Do you think he could add weight and perform at NT in a 3-4?  He seems to be strong enough.  Viewing his reel he also seems to understand leverage.  Do you know how long his arms are?  If he is short but long arms he could play the 5 without issue. 

I like Dean Lowry and Joel Heath as possible late round/FA 5 techniques but Lowry has short arms for his height (6'6). 

53 minutes ago, jim scheurich said:

Not dissing the content. I look at comics and if there is too much content I don't read it . Probably my short attention span.

The tl;Dr version is:

DL at a small school has potential because he has great athleticism.  High ceiling NFL comp is Aaron Donald. Floor is special teams player.  Projection is he should at least be situational DL, likely in the run game.

8 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Finally after a one year hiatus figuring life out as a first time father of a 8-9 month old (that is, the age at the time I would have done these last year), I am finally finding a little more time to squeeze in draft prospect reviews.  These write-ups are my favorite.  Trying to find that gem from nowhere and having him make substantial contributions above and beyond the expectations typically associated from a player picked in that particular round.

Justin Zimmer is just one of those guys.  With the proper coaching, he very well could be a solid starter in the NFL.  I won’t go so far as to say impact player, but it’s not off the table.  The only film I could find on him was over at hudl.com - http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1331218/highlights/314371380

Zimmer plays all over the line and is probably best suited as a DT in an even front.  He is a bit short for a DE in an odd front, but not to keep him from consideration.  Also, I would not at all be surprised if a 3-4 team tried to convert him into a Sam, in which case he’d have to drop a little weight and sacrifice some of his power for speed.  Of course, if I end up being correct, he’ll still have plenty of power left in his game to make that transition.

His explosiveness alone is reason for consideration.  According to Walter Football, at his pro day, which was today (3/18/16), he measured out at 6’2½” and 302 lbs.  He completed 44 reps on bench, vertical of 32 inches and a 9’9” broad jump.  He ran the 40 in the high 4.8 to low 4.9 range and his 3 cone time was 7.10.

On film, which are highlights, and also acknowledging the level of play, I see a player who gets extension and can peekaboo two gaps if necessary, but I obviously question whether that would translate to the NFL.  He appears to have good length, so the possibility is there.  He often has sloppy hand placement and inconsistent pad level, but when he gets it right, he goes wherever he wants to.  Generates a ton of power from his legs and core.  Even when he gets double teamed, it is difficult to move him. 

Athletically, his pro day results would put him close to or within the top 15 range for DL.  With the pads on, he is pretty fluid and has good short area burst off the snap and in space, although he can be a runaway freight train on occasion when needing to stop and redirect (though not prevalent).   Below Average to Average flexibility around the corner.  He does get good bend and leverage through his lower body.  He displays some pass rush moves, which all need serious work.  Without being able to watch a game from start to finish, it’s difficult to tell how much thought goes into his how works his opponent.  His bull rush, needs better consistent hand placement, but could be a plus move.  His swim could also be a plus move, but I would like to see his punch with the off hand be more violent, which shouldn’t be a problem given that his game already possesses a strong power element.  I’m not sure his rip movement would be anything but average.  He doesn’t really dip at all, and a lot of the times, the rip itself appears to be more ceremonial than necessary.  In the film, I didn’t see a lot of speed to power, not because he can’t do it, but because the selected plays for the highlight didn’t include it but once or twice.  Even so, I see potential.

One of my favorite things about this kid is that he has the things you can’t coach.  In addition to his freakish athleticism, he looks to have great instincts and motor.  I’d love to watch a full game, because I want to know if he ever takes a play off or misses a read, but given the film I watched, I can’t assume either of those things to be true.  At least with his awareness, if his coach or teammate told me he was a film junky, I would believe it.  He appears to know where the ball is at all times and the best way to get to it.  And in every play in the highlight reel, he was all 100% all the time.  A little mean-streak would be welcome, but he’s not soft by any means.

Right now, I think that with the benefit of rookie and summer camp, he could see time on special teams at some point during the season, FG block and/or kickoff return in particular.  When he sees any other playing time will depend on how quickly he implements better and more consistent technique and picks up on the NFL X’s and O’s, because physically, he is already able to take snaps, and mentally, I don’t see a player that has a hard time analyzing what’s going on around him.  I don’t think it’s out of the question to see him take snaps at some point on defense in his first year, but if he projects as well as I think he can, at least by his second year.

If I had to put a round on him, I would say he could go as high as the 5th round and as low as a 7th, but probably in the 6th.  Given my penchant for believing that any player I would take as fake GM learns and implements coachable technique to correct flaws with some success, I would not be opposed to spending a mid-late 5th.  Absent something from left field coming out during interviews or background check, he will get drafted.  I don’t think there’s any question about that.  He’s too athletic to not get drafted IMO.

Nice job!    

But, first things first.   You're the dad of an 8/9 month old and you've not shared pictures?!?    That's an 

outrage!!      We demand pictures of your little one!      Post 'em!     I'm sure he/she is an angel!    (Takes after your wife?!?)

As to your find....    nice digging...   I love prospects,  DL or otherwise where the evaluation uses words like instincts and motor...   plus, he's athletic too?      This is a prospect!      Hopefully he comes on the radar late in the process....

Good going!        :thmup:

p.s. --  Have you posted those pictures yet?      Where are they?!?

Freakish athlete doesn't even begin to describe.  With a 32 vertical and 44 reps of 225 on the bench, and 9'9" broad jump, his Kirwan explosion number is 85.9!!  Wow!!! 

{for comparison, J.J. Watt's explosion number was 81, and Bosa is right at 70, where 70 and above is good}

Here's another interesting comp-

JJ Watt          Joey Bosa          Justin Zimmer

Height                        6'5"                 6'5"                    6'2"

40 yd dash               4.84                4.86                   4.89

20 yd shuttle            4.21                4.21                   4.40

3 cone drill               6.88                6.89                   7.10

Not quite at  the Watt and Bosa level, but close. Hopefully he is getting coaching in skill areas that he will need in the NFL.  Since the 2011 CBA, there are very few coaching chances.  Only 16 padded practices per year, and the rest are installing the game plan for that week at 1/2 or full speed with no pads. Just one practice in pads with real hitting is allowed each week.  So players must have skills already, or it will take some time to acquire them and fit in.

Nice little gem, OPC.  This is the kind of stuff most or all teams know about, but we fans usually do not.  Thanks for pointing him out. Since you seem to be scouting the regional combines as well, maybe you'll find a few others that are orders of magnitude above the rest.

On 3/19/2016 at 0:48 AM, NewColtsFan said:

Nice job!    

But, first things first.   You're the dad of an 8/9 month old and you've not shared pictures?!?    That's an 

outrage!!      We demand pictures of your little one!      Post 'em!     I'm sure he/she is an angel!    (Takes after your wife?!?)

As to your find....    nice digging...   I love prospects,  DL or otherwise where the evaluation uses words like instincts and motor...   plus, he's athletic too?      This is a prospect!      Hopefully he comes on the radar late in the process....

Good going!        :thmup:

p.s. --  Have you posted those pictures yet?      Where are they?!?

56f00cb12f8d8_LillyUSCGamecocks.thumb.jp56f00cae02a1b_LillyShades.thumb.jpg.62c5

She's almost 20 months now.  Definitely takes after mom.  she's pretty ornery and she's getting to that terrible 2's phase where she thinks she calls the shots and flips her cookies when she doesn't get her way.  We're having trouble figuring out how to best communicate with her that she doesn't.  It's tough when, cognitively, she understands that we don't want her to do certain things but she doesn't have enough of a working vocabulary to get her to start reasoning with us - as much as a 20 month old reasons anyway.  We try speaking in a nice tone, we tried being firm, spanking, the whole nine yards, and sometimes, she just doesn't give a you know what.  

As far as the prospect, and too the bolded, I am sure that a lot of teams are already interested.  He worked out at Michigan's pro day in which representatives from all 32 teams were on hand (including our assistant offensive line coach Joe Gilbert).  According to Walterfootball, most teams in attendance approached him at some point.  

On a side note, Gilbert worked out Graham Glasgow, whom I think is a very good center prospect.  He's a little heavy footed, though.

57 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

56f00cb12f8d8_LillyUSCGamecocks.thumb.jp56f00cae02a1b_LillyShades.thumb.jpg.62c5

She's almost 20 months now.  Definitely takes after mom.  she's pretty ornery and she's getting to that terrible 2's phase where she thinks she calls the shots and flips her cookies when she doesn't get her way.  We're having trouble figuring out how to best communicate with her that she doesn't.  It's tough when, cognitively, she understands that we don't want her to do certain things but she doesn't have enough of a working vocabulary to get her to start reasoning with us - as much as a 20 month old reasons anyway.  We try speaking in a nice tone, we tried being firm, spanking, the whole nine yards, and sometimes, she just doesn't give a you know what.  

As far as the prospect, and too the bolded, I am sure that a lot of teams are already interested.  He worked out at Michigan's pro day in which representatives from all 32 teams were on hand (including our assistant offensive line coach Joe Gilbert).  According to Walterfootball, most teams in attendance approached him at some point.  

On a side note, Gilbert worked out Graham Glasgow, whom I think is a very good center prospect.  He's a little heavy footed, though.

Well....     great pix!

Just know that parents have been surviving the "terrible twos" since the first kid came out of the womb,  so you and your Mrs. will too.      It's just going to be a long, long year.      But she's adorable!

On 3/19/2016 at 9:56 AM, ColtsBlueFL said:

Freakish athlete doesn't even begin to describe.  With a 32 vertical and 44 reps of 225 on the bench, and 9'9" broad jump, his Kirwan explosion number is 85.9!!  Wow!!! 

{for comparison, J.J. Watt's explosion number was 81, and Bosa is right at 70, where 70 and above is good}

Here's another interesting comp-

JJ Watt          Joey Bosa          Justin Zimmer

Height                        6'5"                 6'5"                    6'2"

40 yd dash               4.84                4.86                   4.89

20 yd shuttle            4.21                4.21                   4.40

3 cone drill               6.88                6.89                   7.10

Not quite at  the Watt and Bosa level, but close. Hopefully he is getting coaching in skill areas that he will need in the NFL.  Since the 2011 CBA, there are very few coaching chances.  Only 16 padded practices per year, and the rest are installing the game plan for that week at 1/2 or full speed with no pads. Just one practice in pads with real hitting is allowed each week.  So players must have skills already, or it will take some time to acquire them and fit in.

Nice little gem, OPC.  This is the kind of stuff most or all teams know about, but we fans usually do not.  Thanks for pointing him out. Since you seem to be scouting the regional combines as well, maybe you'll find a few others that are orders of magnitude above the rest.

I hear ya on the 16 padded practices.  I think with the traits that require work, it's of the type that can be corrected.  It may take an entire year before any team would want to stick him in the lineup at some point during the game, but prospects like these are low risk high rewards.  Some team's philosophy is to sign those types of guys as UDFAs, and I get that.  

Me personally, I like the idea of drafting a hit or miss prospect if he's a physical specimen.  I wouldn't risk early picks on a risky prospect.  but I don't see an issue with that on a 6th or 7th rounder.  The chances are already low for those guys to contribute much more other than on special teams, why not go after a guy with starting upside?  

Take Laurent Duvernay-Tardif  of the Chiefs as an example.  As far as scouting reports go, they would read almost identical, except obviously they play on opposite sides of the football.  Both were physical specimens who did well at small colleges.  They have everything you want out of a prospect - quickness, strength, football IQ, etc. - they just need technical refinement.  Laurent was a full time starter this year at guard.  He struggled in the first half of the season and showed steady improvment.  He's still not where he needs to be, but I liked that pick for them then and I still like it - we'll see how he does with a full year under his belt and how he improves.  Laurent went in the 6th round which is why I project Zimmer as a 6th round as well.  

19 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Well....     great pix!

Just know that parents have been surviving the "terrible twos" since the first kid came out of the womb,  so you and your Mrs. will too.      It's just going to be a long, long year.      But she's adorable!

Thanks!