Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Freeman #2 in B/R's top 50.

Lawrence Owen

i knew Freeman played better this year, but when i looked at this listing, I was flat out shocked.  B/R placed him behind only Luke K. as the 2nd best MLB in the NFL...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2623293-brs-nfl-1000-ranking-the-top-50-inside-linebackers-from-2015/page/50

So odds are, we're going to need to lean on Moore and Irving much more the next few seasons, because i'm sure Indy is not going to spend 8-10 mil/year on him.  And this is most likely what Freeman is looking for. (IMO).

Upside though, if he does go somewhere else for that kind of $$, we'd get a 4th-5th round pick next year out of it.

He may not have been second but he was really good. His play was under shadowed because players like Kuechley and Trevathan are surrounded by good players. Freeman's coverage was elite this year as we didn't have the same problems with tight ends and running backs like in past years. He also was better against the run which is why we didn't give up insane rushing yards in multiple games.

BR is still crap, but i do feel like all the people saying we wont miss him are quite far off the mark, its too bad we cant seem to come to an agreement, i think our only hope is no other team shows interest and he is forced to sign with us at whatever our offer is, which i doubt will happen

I feel like Freeman went from way underrated to way overrated in just a few months. If he was going to make 10 mil. per, he'd have signed somewhere already. My guess is that he's having trouble getting 8 and will sign with somebody for 7 or even come back to Indy for 6...

He's been good since he got here, but he's not top 5 in the league... I doubt he's top 10... but then, BR is mostly junk.

12 hours ago, Carlos Danger said:

I feel like Freeman went from way underrated to way overrated in just a few months. If he was going to make 10 mil. per, he'd have signed somewhere already. My guess is that he's having trouble getting 8 and will sign with somebody for 7 or even come back to Indy for 6...

He's been good since he got here, but he's not top 5 in the league... I doubt he's top 10... but then, BR is mostly junk.

Question....

Where are these dollar figures coming from?

10 mill per?     Who says he's asking that?    8 mill per?    7 mil per?    6 mil per?

You've got all these numbers in your post,   but no link.      Any idea where they came from?

I really hope we keep this guy around and draft someone to play alongside him for years to come. I think if we can build around guys like Freeman and Davis, this defense can really be special, but we still have a ton of holes and we really need to add pass rushers.

Hopefully we can get something done. I really am a fan of #50

28 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Question....

10 mill per?     Who says he's asking that?    8 mill per?    7 mil per?    6 mil per?

You've got all these numbers in your post,   but no link.      Any idea where they came from?

If you look after my numbers I have a set of ()'s with 'IMO'  in them.  This mean it's my opinion that these are the figures being looked at.

I do know that other linebackers in the similar rating of last year earn -in or around- these numbers, but it is just my opinion that it is what is being asked.  For one, this is Freeman's one chance at a payday, and he walked past Indy's offer ( whatever it was) and is shopping around.  This seems to be the actions of someone who wants a certain number, and your previous employer is not offering near that. Otherwise negotiations would keep you near where you want to be.

As for Carlos Danger, I can only speculate he assumes the same.

36 minutes ago, Lawrence Owen said:

If you look after my numbers I have a set of ()'s with 'IMO'  in them.  This mean it's my opinion that these are the figures being looked at.

I do know that other linebackers in the similar rating of last year earn -in or around- these numbers, but it is just my opinion that it is what is being asked.  For one, this is Freeman's one chance at a payday, and he walked past Indy's offer ( whatever it was) and is shopping around.  This seems to be the actions of someone who wants a certain number, and your previous employer is not offering near that. Otherwise negotiations would keep you near where you want to be.

As for Carlos Danger, I can only speculate he assumes the same.

OK....    thanks for sharing that....      Honestly,  I had not fully read your post....

Also,  honestly,  I think there is ZERO chance that Freeman is talking about 8-10 mill per.    Literally -- zero.

Danny Travathan, a better linebacker just signed for 7 mill per.   4/28.     So, I don't see Freeman asking for more.      He's 4-5 years older and not as good a track record.        I'd speculate they're debating between 5-7.

I'd also guess that we've not moved much -- if any -- on our original offer.    I've read Freeman linked with Chicago and also with Atlanta....    at least for talks...        We appear to only want Freeman at our price,  or not at all.

This is the "business side" of sports that can get ugly and personal.....

14 hours ago, Lawrence Owen said:

i knew Freeman played better this year, but when i looked at this listing, I was flat out shocked.  B/R placed him behind only Luke K. as the 2nd best MLB in the NFL...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2623293-brs-nfl-1000-ranking-the-top-50-inside-linebackers-from-2015/page/50

So odds are, we're going to need to lean on Moore and Irving much more the next few seasons, because i'm sure Indy is not going to spend 8-10 mil/year on him.  And this is most likely what Freeman is looking for. (IMO).

Upside though, if he does go somewhere else for that kind of $$, we'd get a 4th-5th round pick next year out of it.

I am glad you were Shocked. It shows you didn`t see him play like this ____ up writer proposes.
  He over rates his pass rush ability, run stuffing, and pass coverage abilities.
  The guy covers some field for sure, but does not often plug holes at the line of scrimmage, his overall QB pressures do not reflect any great gift as a blltzer, and he rarely gets his hands on the ball in pass coverage because he isn`t tight on his man.

He can help a team, but is not a real playmaker. JMO of course.

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Question....

I was referring to the OP when I started talking dollar figures. He said that he thought that Freeman was looking for 8-10 million per season. 

Another poster in the Freeman negotiation thread had said that he figured that Indy had offered 6 (I believe that's what was said) and I thought that it sounded about right.

I certainly don't have any first or even second-hand knowledge of the actual figures being negotiated.

It's my bad because I was too lazy to link the quotes of the OP and the guy from the other thread... Sorry for any confusion.

27 minutes ago, Carlos Danger said:

I was referring to the OP when I started talking dollar figures. He said that he thought that Freeman was looking for 8-10 million per season. 

Another poster in the Freeman negotiation thread had said that he figured that Indy had offered 6 (I believe that's what was said) and I thought that it sounded about right.

I certainly don't have any first or even second-hand knowledge of the actual figures being negotiated.

It's my bad because I was too lazy to link the quotes of the OP and the guy from the other thread... Sorry for any confusion.

Thanks....    no worries....   I knew you weren't pulling them out of thin air....   was just curious where you got them from....    appreciate you explaining it to me.      Thanks again!