Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Duron Carter back to CFL

JRnINDY

2 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I don't believe Garcon spent any time on the PS.  What I mean by 'polished' was that he was running smooth routes as a rookie.  Especially watching him in preseason games in comparison to Roy Hall, who I think was drafted a year earlier.  He just looked more fluid.

I'm not saying he was a great receiver, but certainly as good or better than any big college WR drafted that late.  BTW, I think the Skins are releasing him.

Just looked it up, you're right. He was on the active roster in 2008, I thought he was on the PS that year. He got very little playing time, though.

I saw him in training camp and he did look great, he was catching everything. But really the whole team looked great with the exception of maybe the return game. I for sure did not go into this season expecting the whooping we took. When they would go spread empty backfield with Allen, Fleener, Dorsett Ty and Andre they seemed unstoppable.

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 4:06 PM, Superman said:

If the NFL invested in the CFL and increased their exposure and helped them improve their TV product, the CFL's revenues would increase drastically. I don't know why you, as a CFL fan, would turn your nose up at that.

In a minor way, the CFL is already a developmental league for the NFL. Good players leave the CFL -- turning down their 'max' contracts -- for the NFL, for a chance at a roster spot. They go to a 90 man training camp, with no guarantees, and if they stick on an active roster for three weeks, they make more in the NFL than they would in an entire CFL season. 

Development that benefits the NFL would also benefit the CFL. I'm not saying they have to be a minor league, I'm not saying they should change their rules to mimic NFL rules. Just help them make their players better.

By the way, Gregg Doyle is a troll. 

But the player leave on our terms, not the NFLs. The league has grown by leaps and bounds in the past 10 yrs and finally getting big money ( by CFL terms) from tsn. We are hoping for a big money deal from a American broadcaster in the future. Carter I hear is going to make 260gs, not bad for playing a game. But the problem is, he cant take his money home because of the Canadian dollar. It is to bad carter did not get some game time.lol

On 1/24/2016 at 10:18 AM, bababooey said:

I mean we heard a ton of great things during camp how he's making head turning catches every day, and he was hyped up by the outside like we may have found a diamond in the rough, so it's expected to have backlash on the board when that happened.

I was at camp to see it one of the days.  He made great catches. . . Mostly from Hasslebeck but great catches none the less.  I thought for sure the guy was going to make the roster and see some playing time.  I wasn't crowning him a future starter or anything but I thought he'd make the roster and get some playing time.

But then I flipped on the pre-season games and honestly he kinda stunk.  Not only was he not making eye popping catches but he dropped some routine catches as well.

On 1/26/2016 at 2:54 PM, James Ducheteau said:

That is kind of the problem with going to training camp though, you go and see these fringes guys working their butts of and you get pumped on them and then come the regular season they just mostly disappear. The worst part is I know its gonna happen too, but it still gets me every year.

There might be something to this though.  I think I read somewhere that established vets don't give it their all in camp in order to preserve energy and avoid injury.  So I suppose it's possible that if a fringe guy is going against established vets in camp and doing real well you can see how he might look great in camp but put him on the field against other dudes giving it their all (such as other fringe guys) he suddenly looks kind of mediocre.  

4 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

I was at camp to see it one of the days.  He made great catches. . . Mostly from Hasslebeck but great catches none the less.  I thought for sure the guy was going to make the roster and see some playing time.  I wasn't crowning him a future starter or anything but I thought he'd make the roster and get some playing time.

But then I flipped on the pre-season games and honestly he kinda stunk.  Not only was he not making eye popping catches but he dropped some routine catches as well.

Watch him on the play in the preseason game that Josh Robinson scored a TD on. Thinks the play is over, stops, Robinson breaks out, Carter's guy almost tackles him as Robinson breaks the tackle and scores and Carter tries to get his block back in but it was too late. Lazy play when trying to make the team, all I needed to see.

• 2 months later...

Try as I might, I could not get receiver Duron Carter to give up the goods on the new adidas uniforms the Montreal Alouettes will be sporting this coming CFL season. It was about the only thing he could contain during a conversation about his return to the Als. His enthusiasm was free-ranging, perhaps pumped up in part by having just completed a photo shoot in Toronto; a shoot that featured trying on some new threads.

“Amazing,” was the word Carter used to describe the Alouettes’ new unis. He stopped there other than to declare, with good humour: “Still gotta win. Doesn’t feel good losing even when you look good, I’ll tell you that.”

Carter is talking up a storm when it comes to the topics of loyalty, regrets and of promise. He’s spinning like a top about being back in Montreal on both the football and civic levels, looking forward to living in Old Montreal and to having Nik Lewis as a teammate. Looking forward, as well, to once again playing for Alouettes head coach and general manager Jim Popp. The 2014 CFL All-Star is buzzing with anticipation as training camp pops up on the horizon and he is not giving regret a place to stay in his psyche.

“Montreal gave me my first opportunity to play professional football and I will always remember that,” he says. “You can’t forget your roots.”

“I love the city for real. It’s really progressive and forward and fresh. I love the food, I love the art galleries, the music festival… it’s just a really happening city.”

Carter then extends the compliment to a more national scale. “Everybody’s nice,” he says. “Canadian people. Every city I go to.”

After a year spent in the NFL, the 25-year-old receiver from Fort Lauderdale, Fla. is looking to reboot his CFL career in a fashion that resembles what it was in 2014. That’s when his tour of the friendly nation of Canada was in its second season, with Carter gathering in 75 passes for 1,030 yards and seven touchdowns. It was a breakout year for him and it was a performance that drew plenty of interest south of the border. He eventually signed a contract with the NFL’s Indianapolis Colts.

After a season on the Colts’ practice roster and being released in January, Carter quickly signed a deal with Montreal as opposed to taking a wait and see attitude over the remainder of the winter. The city’s lure was a part of it. So, too, was the memory of Popp and the opportunity provided by the organization in 2013, when Carter was added to the Alouettes’ practice roster and allowed to rise on the depth chart.

“Jim Popp trusted in me when nobody would when he put me on the practice squad,” Carter says. “So, for me to come back and help the Alouettes and help Popp, it was a no-brainer.”

“For me, it’s always about being comfortable and having people around that I can trust when they tell me something and that’s what’s gonna happen. I’ve always been able to trust Jim Popp.”

If you perceive there might be a little shot at the Colts and the way business is done in the NFL with that last line, it’s an inference you’ll have to make without confirmation from Carter. Far from feeling bitter, he insists, his practice roster time down south only served to make him a better receiver as he gets set to pull on one of those new Montreal jerseys on a regular basis.

“I learned a lot,” he says. “How to be a professional and how to work a system in the NFL. There’s a whole lotta behind the scenes stuff that goes on in the NFL that you have to live and learn as a young player and I appreciate everything that Indianapolis did for me.” More....

http://www.cfl.ca/2016/04/28/landry-back-als-duron-carter-wouldnt-change-thing/