Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Response to adversity is everything in the playoffs

chad72

John Fox, John Flacco hail mary happens and you have 2 timeouts and 30 seconds, take a knee????

Now, Bruce Arians and his folks, a Rodgers hail mary happens, and look at the way they responded.

I can tell that is a team that believes and will not fold easily, has the personality of its coach.

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

John Fox, John Flacco hail mary happens and you have 2 timeouts and 30 seconds, take a knee????

Now, Bruce Arians and his folks, a Rodgers hail mary happens, and look at the way they responded.

I can tell that is a team that believes and will not fold easily, has the personality of its coach.

The two scenarios aren't remotely similar

Just now, jvan1973 said:

The two scenarios aren't remotely similar

Both were hail mary endings to regulation. One team responded with heart and the other decided to fold, 30 seconds prior to end of regulation. Do you really think Bruce Arians would have taken a knee, seriously? 

Just now, chad72 said:

Both were hail mary endings to regulation. One team responded with heart and the other decided to fold, 30 seconds prior to end of regulation. Do you really think Bruce Arians would have taken a knee, seriously? 

With Peyton manning as his qb on a cold windy night?   I would think so.   To get in FG you would need to push the ball down the field.  Peyton obviously couldn't do that,  especially when the defense knows you have to do that.     If he throws a pick in that 30 seconds the Ravens are probably in FG range and end the game before OT

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

With Peyton manning as his qb on a cold windy night?   I would think so.   To get in FG you would need to push the ball down the field.  Peyton obviously couldn't do that,  especially when the defense knows you have to do that.     If he throws a pick in that 30 seconds the Ravens are probably in FG range and end the game before OT

With 2 timeouts, heck yeah, the middle of the field is available and at Mile High, the kicker will have a shot from 60 yards. You might as well pack it in OT as well and hand it off because Peyton can throw a pick at any time, right???  His arm was not nearly as shot as it is now, IMO, then. 

Love Arians. Love his edge, love his unapologetic fearlessness.  I'm sure his players do to.

However, winners write the history books.  If that game doesn't turn out the way it does in heroic overtime, the story is about how Arians cost them a game that was absolutely in hand...and it would have been true.

8 hours ago, chad72 said:

Some say that luck favors the prepared.  Others say you make your own luck.

Maybe in Arizona the tag line should be that adversity is best overcome by those who create it for themselves.

40 minutes ago, ztboiler said:

Love Arians. Love his edge, love his unapologetic fearlessness.  I'm sure his players do to.

However, winners write the history books.  If that game doesn't turn out the way it does in heroic overtime, the story is about how Arians cost them a game that was absolutely in hand...and it would have been true.

I assume you're talking about passing on the last drive vs. running which gave Rodgers 1:55 to work with instead of about 1:15.  He risked 40 extra seconds for Rodgers vs. putting the game away with a 1st down (or touchdown).  It was a risk but not totally unreasonable, IMO.

I don't think it's fair to say the game was absolutely in hand in that situation.

18 minutes ago, ponyboy said:

I assume you're talking about passing on the last drive vs. running which gave Rodgers 1:55 to work with instead of about 1:15.  He risked 40 extra seconds for Rodgers vs. putting the game away with a 1st down (or touchdown).  It was a risk but not totally unreasonable, IMO.

I don't think it's fair to say the game was absolutely in hand in that situation.

1:15, no timeouts, length of the field and have to score a touchdown. Things happen, and they did, but that is absolutely game in hand.  If you doubt that, then why did the Packers go for it on 4th down from their own 25 to yield the field position?  Because the Packers knew it was their best, really only, chance to win.  Game in hand.

5 minutes ago, ztboiler said:

1:15, no timeouts, length of the field and have to score a touchdown. Things happen, and they did, but that is absolutely game in hand.  If you doubt that, then why did the Packers go for it on 4th down from their own 25 to yield the field position?  Because the Packers knew it was their best, really only, chance to win.  Game in hand.

1:15 and Rodgers, down by 7.  IMO, that situation  is not *absolutely* in hand.   Our opinions differ -- no big deal.

13 hours ago, chad72 said:

And if the Packers had intercepted that pass in the end zone?

What would you be saying then?

11 hours ago, Blue Horseshoe said:

And if the Packers had intercepted that pass in the end zone?

What would you be saying then?

What? ! It was the Packers throwing the ball,  how could they intercept it.  Regardless,  he's talking about how the coaches reacted differently to similar situations.