Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

A worthless stat? I don't think so.

DalTXColtsFan

A couple notable surprises:

Houston had the #7 scoring defense in the league.  That's darned impressive considering how woefully inept their offense was.  It's scary to think what next year will be like if they get a healthy, productive Arian Foster back and pick up an NFL-calibre quarterback.

Buffalo had the #12 scoring OFFENSE in the league.  Who would have bet going into this season that Buffalo would pick up Rex Ryan as head coach and have an offense that outperformed its defense???

EDIT:  I was wrong - the Jets were actually #11 in scoring defense *and* scoring offense and didn't make the playoffs.  That season-ending loss to the Bills has to be stinging them like 100 wasps after rolling up a 5-game win streak including beating the Pats in their house.

So actually 8 teams were top 11 in both scoring offense and scoring defense (so much for parity in the NFL huh?), 7 made the playoffs, 6 made the divisional round.

1 hour ago, DalTXColtsFan said:

Houston had the #7 scoring defense in the league.  That's darned impressive considering how woefully inept their offense was.  It's scary to think what next year will be like if they get a healthy, productive Arian Foster back and pick up an NFL-calibre quarterback.

Buffalo had the #12 scoring OFFENSE in the league.  Who would have bet going into this season that Buffalo would pick up Rex Ryan as head coach and have an offense that outperformed its defense???

EDIT:  I was wrong - the Jets were actually #11 in scoring defense *and* scoring offense and didn't make the playoffs.  That season-ending loss to the Bills has to be stinging them like 100 wasps after rolling up a 5-game win streak including beating the Pats in their house.

So actually 8 teams were top 11 in both scoring offense and scoring defense (so much for parity in the NFL huh?), 7 made the playoffs, 6 made the divisional round.

Just give up on Foster.

1 hour ago, DalTXColtsFan said:

What is a healthy foster? 

6 minutes ago, Superman said:

On the flip side, all 8 teams remaining have good to great QBing (theoretically; we'll see whether the Broncos get the 'crawfish shorts' version of Peyton Manning, or the good Peyton Manning). 

I like your style... 

8 minutes ago, Superman said:

On the flip side, all 8 teams remaining have good to great QBing (theoretically; we'll see whether the Broncos get the 'crawfish shorts' version of Peyton Manning, or the good Peyton Manning). 

I'll be rooting for him, I'll tell you that.  I'm not sure but I think Peyton actually has a worse record against Pittsburgh than he does against NE.  I'll bet he'd love him some 2005 revenge.

51 minutes ago, DalTXColtsFan said:

I'll be rooting for him, I'll tell you that.  I'm not sure but I think Peyton actually has a worse record against Pittsburgh than he does against NE.  I'll bet he'd love him some 2005 revenge.

he's actually better.  I only found this link for the beginning of the 2014 year.  So i'll look up those stats too.

Edit:  he didn't face the steelers last year, so he is 3-2 against them.

http://www.footballnation.com/content/peyton-mannings-record-vs-every-nfl-team/28035/

1 hour ago, Superman said:

On the flip side, all 8    remaining have good.  to.  great QBing (theoretically; we'll see whether the Broncos get the 'crawfish shorts' version of Peyton Manning, or the good Peyton Manning). 

When my 7 yr old grandaughter saw that commercial  Sunday she said to me  He's a lovable  Nerd.  I'm guessing she was quoting something she heard before  (probably from me) haha

Tyrod Taylor and Ryan Fitzpatrick were pleasant surprises for their respective teams. The AFC East is making a case to be the toughest division in the AFC. Those guys helped their offenses complement the defenses which we already knew were going to be superb. 

1 hour ago, QwizBoy said:

Tyrod Taylor and Ryan Fitzpatrick were pleasant surprises for their respective teams. The AFC East is making a case to be the toughest division in the AFC. Those guys helped their offenses complement the defenses which we already knew were going to be superb. 

Agreed the AFC East was formidable this year. But the bills defense wasn't much to write home about and Miami imploded per the usual. And of course Jets go all out to win one and fall flat next 2...

The AFC West has a much stronger claim this year and Carr, Rivers, and Smith are much more consistent than one year wonder Taylor (granted his first chance), up and down Fitzpatrick and can't throw very far Tannehil. Imo

1 hour ago, QwizBoy said:

The East was strong this year. The only team that truly disappointed was Miami. I am interested to see what off-seasons moves each team makes in the off-season.

18 minutes ago, Surge89 said:

Agreed the AFC East was formidable this year. But the bills defense wasn't much to write home about and Miami imploded per the usual. And of course Jets go all out to win one and fall flat next 2...

The AFC West has a much stronger claim this year and Carr, Rivers, and Smith are much more consistent than one year wonder Taylor (granted his first chance), up and down Fitzpatrick and can't throw very far Tannehil. Imo

The Jets and Bills managed to finish with winning and .500 records respectively, and were in the thick of the playoff race till the end. Outside of the Broncos and Chiefs, the West wasn't anything great. I know there were a lot of injuries and Rivers can't do it himself, but the Chargers won only 4 games. I would still take Rivers and Carr over Taylor and Fitzpatrick, but the latter have the better teams.

2 hours ago, DalTXColtsFan said:

There's so much made of the mentality that it's defense that wins championships, but I think that these stats indicate that you can't build one side of the ball and ignore the other and expect to compete for a Super Bowl.

DwC is still  true but the problem is people interpret it too black & while. It's more a concept.

Just a couple examples- a great defense is going to get the offense on the field more often and more importantly can give it good field position.