Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Inactives vs Steelers

TKnight24

30 minutes ago, Superman said:

Werner won't be a Colt by next September. Ugh, what a blown pick. It's a shame that Rob Ninkovich could become a good player, but Werner is gonna be cut before his fourth season. 

Remember how Grigson and Pagano were crowing about him at the beginning of his rookie training camp ? Special athlete .. bla bla bla. That turned out to be the highlight of Werner's career .

1 hour ago, dw49 said:

Remember how Grigson and Pagano were crowing about him at the beginning of his rookie training camp ? Special athlete .. bla bla bla. That turned out to be the highlight of Werner's career .

Just sickens me that Xavier Rhodes was right there and we passed

Now we're stuck watching Toler get abused :sigh:

2 hours ago, dw49 said:

I can't imagine that they called him a special athlete. 

Of course, it's nothing surprising that the staff would be excited about their first round pick.

48 minutes ago, Superman said:

I can't imagine that they called him a special athlete. 

Of course, it's nothing surprising that the staff would be excited about their first round pick.

Maybe they didn't and the press made it up ? 

3 minutes ago, dw49 said:

Maybe they didn't and the press made it up ? 

I just don't remember it, and there's nothing about him that's ever indicated "special athlete." Special pass rusher, maybe, based off of his sack numbers. 

But if you remember it, I'll take your word for it.

1 minute ago, Superman said:

I just don't remember it, and there's nothing about him that's ever indicated "special athlete." Special pass rusher, maybe, based off of his sack numbers. 

But if you remember it, I'll take your word for it.

Nah .. don't take my word for it .. even though my memory is pretty good for a 66 year old turd. The power of googling.

Found this....

INDIANAPOLIS – For the second time in the last two months, the Colts Season Ticket Holders were treated to a Fan Forum hosted by Voice of the Colts Bob Lamey.

Back in March it was Colts general manager Ryan Grigson who joined Lamey in taking questions for 30 minutes on a variety of topics.

On Wednesday evening, it was Chuck Pagano’s turn and the Colts head coach received many congratulatory comments from fans happy to hear him back in good health with OTAs in full swing.

Pagano took questions for about 30 minutes and here are some of the defensive highlights the head coach touched on with season ticket holders.

CLICK HERE FOR THE AUDIO OF PAGANO'S CONFERENCE CALL WITH COLTS SEASON TICKET HOLDERS

HERE ARE FIVE DEFENSIVE TAKEAWAYS FROM PAGANO’S CALL

On Bjoern Wernericon-article-link.gif and how many possible snaps he will play this season. Pagano also addressed Werner’s famous four-point pass rush stance:

-“Bjoern was everything we expected and more. Very fluid athlete, very smart, very intelligent. Football is easy for him. This kid is a talented, talented football player and he’s got huge upside. He’s going to be fabulous but we’d like to try and get him into a situation. He’s such an athletic guy whether he ends up behind Erik (Walden) or behind Robert (Mathis), beating somebody out, starting, third-down pass rush. Ideally, if he plays special teams, 20-25 snaps on first and second down and then we get him into third-down situations, there’s usually probably 12, 13 of those situations in a game and he’s rushing the passer in those situations coming fresh off the bench than I think it’s a plus for everybody and it’d be a great start to a great career for Bjoern.”

“You’ve got to see that stance. You better not blink cause he’s in the backfield and already on the quarterback if you do blink. Just something about Bjoern. That’s something he is used to. That’s the stance they taught in college and he’s been coming out of that stance for the last three years down at Florida State and they’ve had great success with it. Starting on first and second down this kid as an outside linebacker getting in a two-point stance, then standing up he looks like he’s been doing that for the last 10 years of his life. The guy is just a natural.”

11 minutes ago, dw49 said:

Nah .. don't take my word for it .. even though my memory is pretty good for a 66 year old turd. The power of googling.

Found this....

INDIANAPOLIS – For the second time in the last two months, the Colts Season Ticket Holders were treated to a Fan Forum hosted by Voice of the Colts Bob Lamey.

Back in March it was Colts general manager Ryan Grigson who joined Lamey in taking questions for 30 minutes on a variety of topics.

On Wednesday evening, it was Chuck Pagano’s turn and the Colts head coach received many congratulatory comments from fans happy to hear him back in good health with OTAs in full swing.

Pagano took questions for about 30 minutes and here are some of the defensive highlights the head coach touched on with season ticket holders.

CLICK HERE FOR THE AUDIO OF PAGANO'S CONFERENCE CALL WITH COLTS SEASON TICKET HOLDERS

HERE ARE FIVE DEFENSIVE TAKEAWAYS FROM PAGANO’S CALL

On Bjoern Wernericon-article-link.gif and how many possible snaps he will play this season. Pagano also addressed Werner’s famous four-point pass rush stance:

-“Bjoern was everything we expected and more. Very fluid athlete, very smart, very intelligent. Football is easy for him. This kid is a talented, talented football player and he’s got huge upside. He’s going to be fabulous but we’d like to try and get him into a situation. He’s such an athletic guy whether he ends up behind Erik (Walden) or behind Robert (Mathis), beating somebody out, starting, third-down pass rush. Ideally, if he plays special teams, 20-25 snaps on first and second down and then we get him into third-down situations, there’s usually probably 12, 13 of those situations in a game and he’s rushing the passer in those situations coming fresh off the bench than I think it’s a plus for everybody and it’d be a great start to a great career for Bjoern.”

“You’ve got to see that stance. You better not blink cause he’s in the backfield and already on the quarterback if you do blink. Just something about Bjoern. That’s something he is used to. That’s the stance they taught in college and he’s been coming out of that stance for the last three years down at Florida State and they’ve had great success with it. Starting on first and second down this kid as an outside linebacker getting in a two-point stance, then standing up he looks like he’s been doing that for the last 10 years of his life. The guy is just a natural.”

I guess I had repressed that. Goodness, such bad scouting.

I still don't think he's an awful player. He's just a really bad draft pick, and doesn't make plays.

15 minutes ago, Superman said:

I guess I had repressed that. Goodness, such bad scouting.

I still don't think he's an awful player. He's just a really bad draft pick, and doesn't make plays.

That was during training camp not right after the draft. So even worse than just bad scouting. I guess just a good example that you never know until they line up against another team. Chuck has always raved about players a little prematurely and we need to get used to it. 

Anyway... teams do blow 1st round picks and this is no more than a player taken at 1.24 that didn't work out. How about the top part of the 2011 draft ? There are some real disasters. 

20 minutes ago, dw49 said:

That was during training camp not right after the draft. So even worse than just bad scouting. I guess just a good example that you never know until they line up against another team. Chuck has always raved about players a little prematurely and we need to get used to it. 

Anyway... teams do blow 1st round picks and this is no more than a player taken at 1,24 that didn't work out. How about the top part of the 2011 draft ? There are some real disasters. 

Yeah, it's not some great, unprecedented disaster that he's a bad pick. Just sucks.

My question is just how did he trick people into thinking that he was a good athlete. The workout numbers are obvious. His film is unimpressive. Just had a lot of sacks and an unconventional defensive stance. It's hard to understand why they fell so deeply in love with him, and always was.

5 hours ago, Superman said:

Werner won't be a Colt by next September. Ugh, what a blown pick. It's a shame that Rob Ninkovich could become a good player, but Werner is gonna be cut before his fourth season. 

Depending on Matt's and others health he might not even be on the roster by the end of the week.  

He was a reach by Grigson which taught him to follow his board which brought us Dorrsett.  Hopefully he's healthy soon and works out.  

Honestly the past two weeks the Colts last four first round picks have been inactive.  The only first round pick who wasn't inactive was the pick they traded for Richardson who is of corse cut.  To say the Colts haven't had much luck with the injury bug this year when it comes to key players is an understatement.

11 minutes ago, Superman said:

Yeah, it's not some great, unprecedented disaster that he's a bad pick. Just sucks.

My question is just how did he trick people into thinking that he was a good athlete. The workout numbers are obvious. His film is unimpressive. Just had a lot of sacks and an unconventional defensive stance. It's hard to understand why they fell so deeply in love with him, and always was.

Really good point . If i remember correctly he was a projected top 10-15 pick before the combine. He was totally average in all the measurable and dropped out of the first round by most reports. Plus if I remember correctly , he had like 2 monster games against a couple stiffs on FS's schedule that propped his numbers up. I'm too tired to look this stuff up to verify that I'm not confused ...

21 hours ago, TKnight24 said:

The Colts OL at Training Camp: Castonzo, Louis, Holmes, Herremans, Mewhort

The Colts line tonight: Reitz, Mewhort, Harrison, Louis, Good

I think this highlights the need for the Colts to draft heavy on OL this coming year.  Reitz was an undrafted FA, Mewhort was a 2nd round pick, Harrison undrafted, and the two on the right side both 7 round picks.

I don't have time to do all the research, but I highly doubt there are any other teams in the NFL with only 1 player on their starting OL to have been taken earlier than the 7th round.  Granted, Castonzo, Holmes, and Thornton have all been injured, this just points to the fact that our OL depth is pretty awful, which shouldn't be the case when you've got a franchise QB to build a team around.  Additionally, while Holmes and Thornton were drafted higher than the 7th round, neither of them have done much to show that they are the answer on the OL, rather their play (or lack there of) should indicate that we need to address those positions.