Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What Would We Get For Peyton?

Valuing Peyton Manning objectively (this is blasphemy for a diehard Colts fan like me), if he succeeds in recovering his full arm strength and regaining his elite playing form, he is still a HOF franchise QB with possibly five years left to his career. I would demand at minimum two first-round picks plus two second-round picks AND a proven young OL or DL or DB.

Even then, I would only trade him to an NFC team. No way would I send him to the Broncos, Dolphins, Jets or Ravens, otherwise he'd kick our butts in the playoffs for the next five years. He'd know the Colts defense better than...the Colts defense! The only time the Colts should play against him is in the Superbowl.

I've read someone comment about this, but how and why would you trade Peyton Manning? He basically has to agree to it by restructuring his deal or something like that. Now just think about it... why would Peyton allow the colts to take away talent from the team he is getting traded to when he has a choice in free agency?

I've read someone comment about this, but how and why would you trade Peyton Manning? He basically has to agree to it by restructuring his deal or something like that. Now just think about it... why would Peyton allow the colts to take away talent from the team he is getting traded to when he has a choice in free agency?

Because the Colts would then trade him to a team he wants to go to. Thats why I dont see him going to a team like Cleveland or Seattle. Those two teams are not close to a Superbowl. But a team like Washington or the Jets would love to have him and he may like going there to have a shot at another SB.

Because the Colts would then trade him to a team he wants to go to. Thats why I dont see him going to a team like Cleveland or Seattle. Those two teams are not close to a Superbowl. But a team like Washington or the Jets would love to have him and he may like going there to have a shot at another SB.

I think if we did this it's the Redskins that he would go to. They would bid higher than other teams because they are well the Redskins and Snider seems to be picking up right where Al Davis left off in the NFL. Also it gets him out of the AFC. The last thing you want is to have to go threw Peyton Manning for three to four years to try to get to the Super Bowl. If you you send him to an NFC team it would mean you would probably see him one more time in a regular season game in his career and beyond that you would only see him in a Super Bowl.

Peyton can go to whatever team he wants in free agency. A trade is:

1. Not smart because it takes away from the talent of the team he is going to.

2. A betrayal by Indianapolis so he shouldn't help them at all in a trade.

3. Very hard to do with Peyton's $28 million dollar bonus in his contract.

why would peyton want to go to washington and play eli twice a year, and prob playoffs too?

he wont.

why would peyton want to play in nyc and have all the media attention and be in the same town as eli>

he wont.

peyton wants to retire as a colt. if WE decide to not let him, then he aint gonna be helpin the colts, he will want to destroy them. he wont let US decide his next team....

persoanlly i think if we are dumb enough to let him go (assuming good health) he ends up with the titans or ravens.

imagine those story lines-- back to tenn/tenn still poaching colts players...or the storyline out of balti about getting the best of the mayflower bunch and all that.

I know not very popular to trade Manning away, but hypothetically what would we get for him? Would a team like the Browns give up one of their first round picks and a couple of others?

again..you can only trade him to teams with $28 mil on the cap..

because we cant trade him until the signing deadline..March 8..

That pretty much narrows it down to the Jets, Cowboys.. maybe Miami the wealthier franchises without an old load of contracts

Peyton can go to whatever team he wants in free agency. A trade is:

1. Not smart because it takes away from the talent of the team he is going to.

2. A betrayal by Indianapolis so he shouldn't help them at all in a trade.

3. Very hard to do with Peyton's $28 million dollar bonus in his contract.

Its not a betrayal...ITS BUSINESS!!! We arent going to the Superbowl with Peyton so we may as well start rebuilding and see what we can get for him or just release him and use that money to reload this team through FA for the next couple of years. Having both Luck and Peyton will handicap this team to surround them with enough talent to go deep in the playoffs.

Its not a betrayal...ITS BUSINESS!!! We arent going to the Superbowl with Peyton so we may as well start rebuilding and see what we can get for him or just release him and use that money to reload this team through FA for the next couple of years. Having both Luck and Peyton will handicap this team to surround them with enough talent to go deep in the playoffs.

I agree that having both Peyton Manning and Andrew Luck is not a good idea. It is a betrayal because of what Peyton Manning does for the colts. He doesn't use the "It's business" attitude when it comes to him helping out the colts. He's restructured his contract several times over the years to help out the colts. He also took quite a bit less money in his last contract when he could have gotten more. Now doesn't that seem to be a rude turnaround by the colts if they used the "It's business" attitude towards him?

Having Manning and Luck also agrees we wont have to call Kerry Collins if one or the otehr gets hurt, too..

we're going to have t get used to it..

Irsay has spoken

again..you can only trade him to teams with $28 mil on the cap..

Not true. The only way the Colts can trade him is to sign him, pay the $28 million bonus and then eat that bonus in dead cap money. The team he is traded to then only has to cover his $7 million salary for next year. We can't afford to sign him and trade him. If he is not a Colt next year, it will be because he:

1. Isn't healthy and retires.

2. The Colts let him walk and get nothing in return.

We wouldn't get as much for Manning as we would for the first overall pick. On top of that, Manning gives us a better chance to win more championships in the next four seasons than Luck gives us in fifteen. Now imagine if Manning has the aid of a ton of new players courtesy of a Luck trade.

That is the best scenario for the Colts, now and going forward. We could groom his replacement without hindering our ability to surround him with talent that actually plays the games.

I feel, however, that we will not trade either Manning or the first pick.

I know not very popular to trade Manning away, but hypothetically what would we get for him? Would a team like the Browns give up one of their first round picks and a couple of others?

What we would get is about a 35 Mil cap hit, realisticly a trade is impossible, and I dont mean as in probably not going to happen. I mean its just not even possible to pull off a trade with a player with that kind of cap number. Peyton either is a Colt, Released or retired.

Okay, lets say the Colts release Manning march 8. Do we still get a cap hit and if yes how much and for how long?

If they release Peyton before march 8 the cap hit for 2012 is 16 mil, after march 8 it becomes a cap hit of 44mil. beyond 2012 I am not sure but there is a post on this forum regarding this very issue and a break down of the "what ifs"