Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If Manning Is Healthy, Trade Down Is A Must!

While it isn't what I am hoping for, nor do I think it's the ideal for the Colts (short-term, or long-term), I feel as though we will draft Luck regardless of how Manning looks in March/April. Polian may be gone, but his idea to take the BPA, no matter the position, is still the best strategy.

This pick doesn't "ensure" the future of the franchise, as no QB will ever be able to do that again (and Luck could be a bust); and it's an opportunity wasted, given what we could trade it for. But it is safe, and acts as an insurance policy - albeit, an expensive one.

Balzer I think RGIII is closer to Luck in potential than you may think. Its not a big dropoff between them and RGIII has just enough potential if not more than Luck. And seeing how successful Cam Newton was his first year, I dont think RGIII would be that bad if he had to step in if Manning were hurt next season.

I just made this thread simply on that its hard for me to decide on who I want at QB for the future of this team between Luck and RGIII so why not trade down and let the decision become easier while getting extra picks in the deal to revamp this team? It just makes too much sense to do this if Manning is healthy. Again if Manning is not healthy going into the year, then Luck has to be the pick since he is the most pro ready QB in years. But having RGIII sit behind Manning for a year or 2 could make Griffin scary good.

RG3 may be good, but vick was good in college too, so was Russell. now one dont have a job and the other is often injured because he runs alot. to be honest i believe RG3 will be killed in the nfl. yes he has a strong arm, but he also trys to rely on his legs. im not sold on him. but thats my opinion. and everyone is entitled to their own opinion. i understand where your going with the draft pick situation, and the possibility of manning being healthy but you cant guarentee manning will be healthy enough to withstand blind side hits that will jerk his head around and put pressure on that repaired neck of his. I like peyton manning, i love the colts but to be honest i think its in mannings best intrest to retire.He has a family, and he will do them no good when hes sitting in a chair blowing through a tube to move the chair because hes paralyzed from the neck down. Luck is pro ready, he has the smarts and talent to take over for manning at any given point whether it be the start of the season or half way through if manning got hurt, and still carry the team to the playoffs. plus their team is not built for someone like RG3. Luck is better suited for that offense, and to change up your whole playing style to suit one player you just drafted is crazy. that would take years to get players that are better suited for a RG3 type of offense. their O-line is set for a quick 3 step drop bakc and the ball already being gone kinda QB, not one who tends to run around alot.

I know I will get ridiculed for saying this but I really think if we could get Tebow to learn behind Peyton and use our first round pick to build on our defense or pick up someone like richardson at rb we would be doing pretty good. Tebow could fix what has plauged us for years in our short yard game right off the bat and his persona fits our organization to the T. At the very least with him playing behind Peyton his stock would rise tremendously while we are using our draft picks to revamp the rest of our team and we would most likely be able to pull an andy reid and trade him for a lot more than he is worth!

oh yeah lets just hand the broncos what we handed them 29 years ago when we gave them Elway too. they ended up with superbowls and the colts were barely in the playoffs until mid to late 90's during the harbaugh and george years and then a gift from above gave us Manning. yeah i say let tebow stay in denver and take our chances with Luck.

Sorry but this makes little sense. You are suggesting we trade down to #4 and get #26(I think), because you don't want 2 QB's occupying 1/3 of our cap space. Then you say draft RG3(who is a QB) and will make maybe a whopping 1 mil.$ less than Luck would. Then we would get somebody at #26 and another 2nd rder. and thats suppose to put us over the top on talent?

It would be more like #21 or #22, or later, depending on if Atlanta wins there playoff game. The Giants are looking very good though. Didn't he also say the #36 pick as well? And the first round pick the next year? We might be able to get more, I don't really know, but that sounds pretty good.

oh yeah lets just hand the broncos what we handed them 29 years ago when we gave them Elway too. they ended up with superbowls and the colts were barely in the playoffs until mid to late 90's during the harbaugh and george years and then a gift from above gave us Manning. yeah i say let tebow stay in denver and take our chances with Luck.

You do know that John Elway won his 2 Super Bowls in his last 2 years in the NFL. His 15th and 16th NFL seasons.

You do know that John Elway won his 2 Super Bowls in his last 2 years in the NFL. His 15th and 16th NFL seasons.

So that means luck won't win till his 15 or 16th year??

Not sure what that has to do with luck or the colts

But to play that card he went to like 6 super bowls or something didn't he?

While it isn't what I am hoping for, nor do I think it's the ideal for the Colts (short-term, or long-term), I feel as though we will draft Luck regardless of how Manning looks in March/April. Polian may be gone, but his idea to take the BPA, no matter the position, is still the best strategy.

This pick doesn't "ensure" the future of the franchise, as no QB will ever be able to do that again (and Luck could be a bust); and it's an opportunity wasted, given what we could trade it for. But it is safe, and acts as an insurance policy - albeit, an expensive one.

Just curious to hear your reasoning as to why you say no QB will ever be able to do that again? Personally, i would rather follow the Colts model of having a great QB than the Ravens or any other "team" that has a solid "team" but can never get over the hump because of the poor QB play...but everyone has their own opinions on that, and im just curious to hear yours

So that means luck won't win till his 15 or 16th year??

Not sure what that has to do with luck or the colts

But to play that card he went to like 6 super bowls or something didn't he?

Yeah I looked it up, he went to 5 Super Bowls. He won his last two 31-24 and 34-19. However, the Broncos got clobbered 42-10, 55-10, and 39-20 in his other Super Bowls.

Just curious to hear your reasoning as to why you say no QB will ever be able to do that again? Personally, i would rather follow the Colts model of having a great QB than the Ravens or any other "team" that has a solid "team" but can never get over the hump because of the poor QB play...but everyone has their own opinions on that, and im just curious to hear yours

So your saying that if we don't have a great quarterback we will have a horrible one.....? What about average, below average, or above average? There are more than 2 types of quarterbacks in the league...

Yeah I looked it up, he went to 5 Super Bowls. He won his last two 31-24 and 34-19. However, the Broncos got clobbered 42-10, 55-10, and 39-20 in his other Super Bowls.

So what's ur point your trying to make?

Back in '98, would any1 say that 3 Top-40 picks(or even 4 or 5) would be a Better Choice than drafting Manning?

There are only a small handful of elite QB's in a QB driven league like the NFL and you can't pass up on them when you have a chance to get one. Just ask Dolphin fans how replacing Marino has gone.

Dan Marino never won a Super Bowl in Miami.

And the colts didn't have Peyton Manning on there team when they drafted him in 1998...

So your saying that if we don't have a great quarterback we will have a horrible one.....? What about average, below average, or above average? There are more than 2 types of quarterbacks in the league...

I used the Ravens as my example, did i not? and they have an average QB in my opinion, although lots of "experts" think Flacco is good...i was pointing out that people blame them not going to the super bowl on "poor QB play" and think that they are a QB away from being contenders.

My point is, its a lot easier to find good CBs and WRs etc than it is to find a franchise QB...and the chance to actually have the #1 pick when a QB like Luck is available, is a very rare thing.

I was all on board with trading the pick, for most of the year...but i've changed my mind, and i believe whole heartedly that trading Luck would be the wrong thing to do. Its easy to find good/average qbs but its hard to win with them.

Dan Marino never won a Super Bowl in Miami.

And the colts didn't have Peyton Manning on there team when they drafted him in 1998...

Thats true, but the Dolphins have had good Offensive and Defensive linemen and good WRs and good RBs and good secondary guys...and because they dont have and havent had a good QB, they have never done as well since he retired as they did when they had Marino

I don't get all of the fans that want RG3 the heisman is a joke if we do trade the first pick we need to pick someone with POTENTIAL just because RG3 won the heisman doesn't mean he is a NFL ready QB we either pick Luck (not completely sure about this) or trade the pick and grab someone who could help out our secondary. Which is an immediate need, but so is the QB spot so we would need to grab a QB later in the draft but not RG3

Oh, someone said something about Luck winning a Super Bowl in 5 years or something like that, was it you?

And people are overhyping John Elway a bit too.

Elway was awesome. Arguablyone of the greatest ever. Not sure u can overhype him

And luck winning in 5 has what to do with elway winning 2 the last 2 years.

Elway was awesome. Arguablyone of the greatest ever. Not sure u can overhype him

And luck winning in 5 has what to do with elway winning 2 the last 2 years.

I never watched Elway play, but for being one of the greatest ever, it sure took him a very long time to win his super bowls, at the very end of his career. Years 15 and 16. That's why I think people are overhyping him a bit.

And when people compare Luck to Elway, they act like Elway won a Super Bowl within 5 years of being drafted, which is definitely not the case.

I never watched Elway play, but for being one of the greatest ever, it sure took him a very long time to win his super bowls, at the very end of his career. Years 15 and 16. That's why I think people are overhyping him a bit.

And when people compare Luck to Elway, they act like Elway won a Super Bowl within 5 years of being drafted, which is definitely not the case.

He went to 5 super bowls. He's won more then PM.

I never said luck will when in 5 years cause elway did????

Draft "experts" are saying he's the best prospect since elway. That doesn't = his career will be a mirror image of elways.

If you never watched him play not sure you should be calling him over rated.

How about we draft Luck at #1 this year and allow him to be taught by Manning. Then next season we trade Manning to an NFC team for their 2013&2014 Rd 1 & 2 ? This allows us to have Luck for the next 12 yrs and restock the team to win Super Bowls. The best Team wins, not the best player...

He went to 5 super bowls. He's won more then PM.

I never said luck will when in 5 years cause elway did????

Draft "experts" are saying he's the best prospect since elway. That doesn't = his career will be a mirror image of elways.

If you never watched him play not sure you should be calling him over rated.

I take that back, I have watched him play in the late 1990's. Maybe I am biased against him because of his jerkish attitude towards Tim Tebow, but he needed a great team to win a Super Bowl, he didn't do it on his own.

I take that back, I have watched him play in the late 1990's. Maybe I am biased against him because of his jerkish attitude towards Tim Tebow, but he needed a great team to win a Super Bowl, he didn't do it on his own.

Keep trying.

Yep. Id say its the fact he doesnt like Tebow that bugs you.

Elway never had a chance going up against the dominant NFC teams with the talent (or lack there of) around him.

Being compared to Elway in terms of potential does not = Elway. Ridiculous.

Now Im more on the side of keeping Luck and trading Manning after the 2012 season(if Luck agrees to learn from Peyton for a year.) If he wants to play right away, we trade Peyton before the draft for as much as we can get.

Like I said before, it's extrememly hard to trade him... and what supposable colts fan wants to trade Peyton Manning?

elway carried those early bronco teams on his back. he probably did more with less than any qb i have ever seen. so no, people are not overhyping john elway

I agree trade down with cleveland and take Claiborne then with the twenty-second pick, assuming hes still there,Mark barron . You will also have the 33rd overall and could get someone who just barely slipped ou of the first round who will be a difference maker primarily Nick toon. Nxt year will be the year you draft Qb with the Browns first rounder next season. this helps rebuild and shed some money off the payroll as you wont need to resign Wayne by adding Toon

Ok, some of you guys are crazy.

If Manning is healthy you DO NOT waste the pick this year on a QB, but whether you trade down (and how far) depends on who announces from the college ranks for the NFL draft.

I'm actually more interested in the Juniors than the Seniors in this case. And in DEFENSIVE players over OFFENSE.

There are a number of 3rd year LBs who might opt to be drafted this year that are OUT-FREAKING-STANDING!

1) Luke Kuechly from BC

2) Manti Teo from Notre Dame

3) Dont'a Hightower from Alabama

I personally like Manti & Dont'a.

Then there are the top corners:

1) Morris Claiborne, LSU

2) Dre Kirkpatrick, Alabama

(You guys ARE watching them tonite, right?)

Look if we traded down with the right team (Cleveland, Washington, Miami), we could possibly get 2 of the above 5 players and turn this defense into a MONSTER!