Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

IndyTrav

For all of those who think Manning is not going to be back...

Irsay has said more than once:

1. if Manning is healthy he will be back. (Manning himself says he could have passed the exit physical)

2. he can afford both 18 and a high draft pick QB

I don't get why so many feel it's going to be different than what the team owner has said?

The guy is hedging his bets, based on Manning's health, new GM, Luck's attitude etc. If Irsay doesn't know, we sure as heck don't.

For the record, anybody duped by Bill's mercy interview is in need of a reality check. The guy was a tyrant and got busted. Live by the sword and all that. We are better off without him and his cohort.

I think the solution is simple, trade the number one pick away to one of other teams in the top 5 of the draft like the Jags etc. Keep Manning if healthy, and hope RG3 drops to the 3, 4 or 5 (pick that u traded for). Then use all the picks you have aquired from trading away the number one to retool the team. This is the most logical answer i could come up with. All while keeping Manning, getting our qb of the future in RG3 and not dealing with all the media field day foolishness of Andrew Luck, then rebuilding through multitude of draft picks we acquired from the trade, all whiile staying a superbowl contender. Keepin all of Colts satisfied.

But now to the BP interview. He dodged alot of questions. Especially when asked do you think the team should keep Jim Caldwell, he asid he didnt know and it wasnt up to him. Dodging questions as if they were bullets flying at neo in the matrix :hide:

So a father tries to give credit to his son for positive accomplishments while diverting negative attention to himself, and you think it's "standard double speak"? I call it being a good father and an honorable professional.

The way that people portray Polian on here you would think that he would be making these public appearances just to turn red in the race, point fingers, and pat himself on the back. It sounded to me that he is making the appearances to thank the fans, say goodbye, and to bolster the guy who fired him in the eyes of anyone who might have a problem with the decision. He sounded more relaxed than I've probably ever heard him. What exactly is the point of dissecting his words and claiming it represents another example of some perceived personality flaw - particularly if you are "not a huge Polian hater". Just a small one I'm guessing.

Throughout this year or past years, I did not once call for the Polians to be let go on this board or in any other conversation. I consistently argued that the majority of blame is on Caldwell and his poor schemes/reluctance to change in the face of adversity. However, considering Irsay's move, I changed my mind. As fans, we have no idea the culture or decision making process that went on this year. All year, I assumed Caldwell was making the decision to keep the status quo going as if PM was behind center. However, Irsay does know the ins and outs of who's making what decision, and his decision to fire the Polians shows who he thinks is responsible for the state of the team this year and the overarching failure to make in-season changes to accommodate for the loss of PM (I'm not talking about the back-up QB, I'm talking about running more, being more aggressive on defense, calling trick plays to accommodate for the lack of talent, etc.). Polian's insistence on getting fired because of not having a viable back-up QB shows how stubborn he truly is.

Polian putting the blame on himself instead of Chris is the intuitive thing to do but probably not the correct way to behave. He can mask Chris all he wants, but in the end, that makes Bill look incompetent. A father masking his son's failure is enabling behavior and not the proper way to allow him to mature...maybe Bill needs to let Chris look like an adult and do some interviews himself to show that he is in fact his own person. I don't understand this latest idea on this board that it is the responsible thing to do for Bill to cover up for Chris...it's like a parent enabling his/her drug addict kid to continue making wrong decisions by covering them up so s/he doesn't look bad in front of the neighbors.

The main point I was originally trying to make is that it is clear one of the main reasons Bill was fired is because of his flip-flopping/double speak/spin/whatever you want to call it. Bill flipped flopped all year about who was making decisions. If it was good, sometimes it was Chris and sometimes it was Bill, if it was bad it was Bill. Another example is that in week 5 he was praising Curtis Painter and patting himself on his back for believing in Curtis and now he is blaming his firing on the fact that he did not have a back-up QB. Do you really believe that if we would have drafted a rookie QB last year (like BP said we should have in this interview), our season would have been that much better? I don't. I was just pointing out that he talks to fans and the media like we are a bunch of * and don't remember that he said the exact opposite a few weeks ago. Did you even listen to the interview in full? It was less of a good bye and more of a "I did my job except for at one position and that's why I got fired." (You are right, he did sound relaxed and did stand up for Irsay's decision though). Not having a viable back-up QB (which he said we did for many weeks) is not the main or only reason he got fired, and the fact that he consistently sends mixed messages was one reason he did. Bill is a master politician/spin doctor. That works until your spin becomes so confused that you begin to look incompetent. Unfortunately, that happened....compare the Polian show week to week and throw in this interview as the last version, and it is clear that there is no consistent reasoning behind the Colts successes or failures this season, outside of trashing Coyer from week 11 onward.

Throughout this year or past years, I did not once call for the Polians to be let go on this board or in any other conversation. I consistently argued that the majority of blame is on Caldwell and his poor schemes/reluctance to change in the face of adversity. However, considering Irsay's move, I changed my mind. As fans, we have no idea the culture or decision making process that went on this year. All year, I assumed Caldwell was making the decision to keep the status quo going as if PM was behind center. However, Irsay does know the ins and outs of who's making what decision, and his decision to fire the Polians shows who he thinks is responsible for the state of the team this year and the overarching failure to make in-season changes to accommodate for the loss of PM (I'm not talking about the back-up QB, I'm talking about running more, being more aggressive on defense, calling trick plays to accommodate for the lack of talent, etc.). Polian's insistence on getting fired because of not having a viable back-up QB shows how stubborn he truly is.

Polian putting the blame on himself instead of Chris is the intuitive thing to do but probably not the correct way to behave. He can mask Chris all he wants, but in the end, that makes Bill look incompetent. A father masking his son's failure is enabling behavior and not the proper way to allow him to mature...maybe Bill needs to let Chris look like an adult and do some interviews himself to show that he is in fact his own person. I don't understand this latest idea on this board that it is the responsible thing to do for Bill to cover up for Chris...it's like a parent enabling his/her drug addict kid to continue making wrong decisions by covering them up so s/he doesn't look bad in front of the neighbors.

The main point I was originally trying to make is that it is clear one of the main reasons Bill was fired is because of his flip-flopping/double speak/spin/whatever you want to call it. Bill flipped flopped all year about who was making decisions. If it was good, sometimes it was Chris and sometimes it was Bill, if it was bad it was Bill. Another example is that in week 5 he was praising Curtis Painter and patting himself on his back for believing in Curtis and now he is blaming his firing on the fact that he did not have a back-up QB. Do you really believe that if we would have drafted a rookie QB last year (like BP said we should have in this interview), our season would have been that much better? I don't. I was just pointing out that he talks to fans and the media like we are a bunch of * and don't remember that he said the exact opposite a few weeks ago. Did you even listen to the interview in full? It was less of a good bye and more of a "I did my job except for at one position and that's why I got fired." (You are right, he did sound relaxed and did stand up for Irsay's decision though). Not having a viable back-up QB (which he said we did for many weeks) is not the main or only reason he got fired, and the fact that he consistently sends mixed messages was one reason he did. Bill is a master politician/spin doctor. That works until your spin becomes so confused that you begin to look incompetent. Unfortunately, that happened....compare the Polian show week to week and throw in this interview as the last version, and it is clear that there is no consistent reasoning behind the Colts successes or failures this season, outside of trashing Coyer from week 11 onward.

Well said