Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peyton's Record Chase (Week 9)

ColtsFan110314

Looking ahead PFM needs 1,717 yards to pass Brett Favre on the all-time passing yard list. I have the strangest feeling that this record will fall during our game with the Broncos in Week 9.

Granted Peyton will have to pick up the pace a little bit (has to throw 287 yards a game each game to break it against us) but it would be really cool to see this happen.

Just a little aside to get some minds off the Jets game. Kind of weird how things work out in the world!

Looking ahead PFM needs 1,717 yards to pass Brett Favre on the all-time passing yard list. I have the strangest feeling that this record will fall during our game with the Broncos in Week 9.

Denver have a legitimate chance to be 7-0 coming to Indy.

Oakland, Cleveland, Detroit, Minnesota and then Green Bay (in Denver) are the games between now and then.

None of them have defenses like Baltimore and KC

Denver have a legitimate chance to be 7-0 coming to Indy.

Oakland, Cleveland, Detroit, Minnesota and then Green Bay (in Denver) are the games between now and then.

None of them have defenses like Baltimore and KC

I'd be willing to bet (not really, I'm cheap) that Denver loses 2 of 3 between Det, Minn, and GB.

Chiming in as the Brett Favre fanboy of the forum. The record doesn't break my heart or anything in an era where, speaking of yardage, Marino's untouchable yardage record has been obliterated year after year by after it stood alone for 3 decades. Either way Peyton Manning is the freakin' man in my book.

Chiming in as the Brett Favre fanboy of the forum. The record doesn't break my heart or anything in an era where, speaking of yardage, Marino's untouchable yardage record has been obliterated year after year by after it stood alone for 3 decades. Either way Peyton Manning is the freakin' man in my book.

With the new rules, this new record won't last long either. If luck stays healthy he will smash it

Peyton is the Greatest Ever in my humble opinion IMHO for the kids.  I watch Denver every week unless the Colts play at the same time I just like watching the guy play and it will be a sad day when he retires.  I just hope he goes into the hall as a Colt.

I honestly think it's between Montana, Brady, Unitas, Peyton, and Elway for the BEST EVER. For a lot of different reasons for each of those players. Out of those 5 it's a coin flip. Peyton is like a Coach out there too, Brady has always had Belichick but to his credit he has made the most of it. The Ring argument is flawed because Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson have won a Ring and they are not even in the Top 50 of all-time. Those 2 QB's had Top 5 Defenses of all-time in those 2 particular seasons when they won it all. I am just glad Peyton won one considering QB's like Dan Marino and Jim Kelly never did. Kelly lost in 4 straight SB's, for Bills fans that had to be sickening. When it comes to ranking all-time QB's Rings should be factored in (that's what you play for) but so should MVP's and Stats and importance of a QB to a team. Peyton was everything to the Colts.

I think greats of all time...so hard to sday..is still in question with Peyton.

I don't think losing in the post-season or in the Super Bowl (in Kelly's case) is a negative because it ignores years when lesser QBs

didn't even lead their team to the playoffs.

John Elway is the player many leave out.....'2006'...He was so dominant in his younger days (more so than anyone now playing) and a champion in his final days.

Brady elevated himself last year because, for the first time, in his title years, he didn't have a great defense.

But its a surprise how far Brady's numbers are from Peyton.

I think Peyton's game Monday against KC was undervalued. He's got 2 rookies (the center is a 2nd year guy from last year's practice squad) on the line. He's been sacked 7 times and hit 15 times in 5 days. Had to be hurt and tired. Playing with a hybrid offense. Against a Top-10 defense with everyone knowing what he had to do...with few huddles...he threw a series of creative passes..(sideline..post..slot man option routes)..found single coverage ....got the ball there on time....all touch..limited velocity.....

..and they went 80 yards to tie the game. in 2 minutes

We can debate track record and resume. But no one I've ever seen could get out of that jail with all those handcuffs on him.

Peyton is the Greatest Ever in my humble opinion IMHO for the kids. I watch Denver every week unless the Colts play at the same time I just like watching the guy play and it will be a sad day when he retires. I just hope he goes into the hall as a Colt.

I am certain he'll retire a Colt.

How can Peyton be the best of all time when he clearly wasn't the best of his time. I think Brady has the edge over him. And now Rogers is better than Brady.

And then there's his post season record.

And I really don' think you can compare players from different era's and its hard enough in the same era with different coaches and talent surrounding them.

Let's just agree Peyton was pretty good, especially in the regular season.

How can Peyton be the best of all time when he clearly wasn't the best of his time. I think Brady has the edge over him. And now Rogers is better than Brady.

And I really don' think you can compare players from different era's and its hard enough in the same era with different coaches and talent surrounding them.

. Football! The ultimate TEAM sport.

I honestly think it's between Montana, Brady, Unitas, Peyton, and Elway for the BEST EVER. For a lot of different reasons for each of those players. Out of those 5 it's a coin flip. Peyton is like a Coach out there too, Brady has always had Belichick but to his credit he has made the most of it. The Ring argument is flawed because Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson have won a Ring and they are not even in the Top 50 of all-time. Those 2 QB's had Top 5 Defenses of all-time in those 2 particular seasons when they won it all. I am just glad Peyton won one considering QB's like Dan Marino and Jim Kelly never did. Kelly lost in 4 straight SB's, for Bills fans that had to be sickening. When it comes to ranking all-time QB's Rings should be factored in (that's what you play for) but so should MVP's and Stats and importance of a QB to a team. Peyton was everything to the Colts.

Id throw Marino in there too. Id even go so far to say that I think he's the greatest pure qb ever.

I'm looking forward to him extending his record with TEN first round/one and done exits in the playoffs. 9 one and done's is pretty impressive, but let's make it 10 and then retirement! After that, all the Favre bashers can remind me how my favorite QB of all time sucked cause he threw picks from time to time. 

The best QB"s are truly the ones that get rings and not stats. One of the best QB's of all time, people will laugh at you for saying it, but he has 4 rings; Terry Bradshaw. 

But even the best statistical QB's, didn't often win Super Bowls. I would argue Dan Marino is a top 3 All Time QB. All the big names today; Brees, Manning, and Rodgers are practically clones of Dan Marino in my eyes. We have a league today that is modeled after Marino ball. 

If Dan Marino, Jim Kelly, and Warren Moon were playing today, they all would have at least one Super Bowl ring, since the league favors the passing so much. Saints fans hate me for saying it, but Brees in my opinion is pretty much a modern Warren Moon, without the mobility. 

I think Rodgers is a little bit overrated. He's good, but I highly doubt he ever wins another SB. So far, he is on the road to setting up a playoff record to rival Manning's in the future, since Green Bay is 2-5 since winning the SB, and they often lose in the playoffs in the most jaw dropping way possible (and still everyone picks them to make it to the SB the next year, i have not a clue why) 

I don't think rings are the barometer..They an only be used to eliminate people in a comparison.

Once you have led your teams to multiple championship games and won one....you are a 'made man' in the mob sense.

John Elway led his team to 5 Super Bowls

..and its hard to say that Elway, a better runner and thrower than Montana, is a lesser QB because they were 2-3 in those Super games

Unless you ca justify assigning a won-loss record to the QB, you have to look at his statistics, as you would other players.

Those who say that Jim Brown, Barry Sanders or Walter Peyton are the best runners ever..dont look at W-L records of their teams when they played

I'm looking forward to him extending his record with TEN first round/one and done exits in the playoffs. 9 one and done's is pretty impressive, but let's make it 10 and then retirement! After that, all the Favre bashers can remind me how my favorite QB of all time sucked cause he threw picks from time to time.

From time to time? He has more INTs than anyone ever