Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Super Bowl Titles and High Salary Quarterbacks

amfootball

Yes, I think it is shortsighted in the fact that is only uses winning the SB as its measuring stick for success. That being said, I think it makes valid points in looking the QB pay scale vs the cap. I mean there is a reason Seattle is balking right now at Wislon and he has a strong case to be paid elite money. There is a reason Kraft talked to Brady for 18 months to get him to sign that extensions and there is a reason that Elway asked Manning to take a pay cut. Like I said, teams that are getting very good to elite QB level of play for non-elite money have an advantage over other teams that are paying out the elite money. Does not mean that those teams can't or won't win but just harder to do for obvious reasons ...

That exact convo may be happening in Seattle right now ...

It's obviously easier to put together a strong, balanced roster if your QB is making less. But let's not frame this is a way that suggests that if your QB hits X % of the cap, you can't win. 

Also, I'd love to see Seattle cast off the only QB that's given them quality performance since 2007. I wonder how eager Pete Carroll is to go back to being the coach of a 7 win team.

It's obviously easier to put together a strong, balanced roster if your QB is making less. But let's not frame this is a way that suggests that if your QB hits X % of the cap, you can't win. 

Also, I'd love to see Seattle cast off the only QB that's given them quality performance since 2007. I wonder how eager Pete Carroll is to go back to being the coach of a 7 win team.

To the bolded - I have not said that once. Just the opposite. I have said it just makes it harder.

I agree about Seattle. I have to believe cooler heads will prevail but the dynamics there seem complex ...

I like Wilson better than Jim Zorn or David Krieg.  Only Matt Hasselbeck is better, IMHO (not now, but earlier version) I can't think of any other decent Seahawk QB of note...  Rick Mirer?  Nah.  Might not be any.  Just Matt and Russell.  Hmmm time go hunting. 

I like Wilson better than Jim Zorn or David Krieg.  Only Matt Hasselbeck is better, IMHO (not now, but earlier version) I can't think of any other decent Seahawk QB of note...  Rick Mirer?  Nah.  Might not be any.  Just Matt and Russell.  Hmmm time go hunting. 

Only probably the Jets have had a worse QB history ...

Who said it was the deciding factor? The article was drawing a correlation since the cap era about teams who have won the SB as compared to the pay/percentage of QBs. Like I said, 20 years is not coincidence.

And your last sentence makes no sense. Nowhere does the article suggest letting QBs walk but was more discussing the thinking process of GMs as they look at the QB position and its effect on the cap in this era of trying to build competitive rosters year in and year out. As you have said, teams have to draft smart and built their rosters smartly but that margin is much slimmer when you have a QB making 10 percent or more of the cap. Does not mean it can't be done or should not be done but probably more speaks to the fact that teams with good/elite QB play who are not paying elite money right now to their Qbs have an advantage over those that do. The last 3 years SB winners pretty much showcase that with Flacco, Wilson and Brady and their respective deals ...

In the last 8 months that I've been a member of this forum, I do not recall one sentence written by Superman that, "makes no sense."

Young was not just the only one banking in the chips during that 1994 run. The Niners practically bought that SB with spending insane amounts of money on big name free agents. Just look at that 1994 roster, and it's ridiculous how many career All Pros and Hall of Famers were on that team. 

It's ridiculous to look back at. The Niners had to spend all their money to get ring #5. I am pretty sure that team is why they invented the salary cap. 

And I am not saying the Ravens should have not paid Joe as they kind of had it at that point but their future success is directly tied to that monster contract and his level of play.

No it's not tied directly tied to that. There are a lot more contributing factors to the ravens success than joe flaccos contract

It is the biggest one.

No its not. Football is the ultimate team sport. There is a lot more that goes into it than signing big name free agents that often don't even pan out as expected. Coaching, execution, and drafting are what is contributing to their success.  Even if their success was to be defined by how many top tier big money free agents the Ravens are able to sign, they are not in big cap trouble where they cant sign who they want within reason.

I agree to a certain extent but having a large chunk tied up in the QB makes the margin for error that much tighter. Right now Harbaugh is having to answer a lot questions about Flacco given his contract situation and the fact that many believe he is not elite status. So I think there is a balance. For guys like Rogers and Luck, it is a no brainer, you pay them. But for other Qbs like Newton who just got paid $20+ mil and Wilson who wants the same or more, it becomes much dicer. I think clubs need to do a good job of managing their QBs first and foremost.

Spot on, but I hope and pray Luckʻs smart enough to know you still need other playmakers around and you can still make serious $ from endorsements and commercials 

No its not. Football is the ultimate team sport. There is a lot more that goes into it than signing big name free agents that often don't even pan out as expected. Coaching, execution, and drafting are what is contributing to their success.  Even if their success was to be defined by how many top tier big money free agents the Ravens are able to sign, they are not in big cap trouble where they cant sign who they want within reason.

When the starting QB is getting paid elite money and he is not consistently performing at an elite level of play that is any team's biggest problem.

When the starting QB is getting paid elite money and he is not consistently performing at an elite level of play that is any team's biggest problem.

Not necessarily. I just don't see how you can make such a definitive statement like that with so many other mitigating factors that determine whether a football team wins or loses games , is all

No, a teams biggest problem is having a sub par qb at any price. Flaccos contract isn't keeping the ravens from being able to compete

Not necessarily. I just don't see how you can make such a definitive statement like that with so many other mitigating factors that determine whether a football team wins or loses games , is all

I did not say that there were not other factors. I just think Flacco's contract situation is the biggest factor for the Ravens in terms of competing for another title. Losing Ngata was big this off-season as well.

No, a teams biggest problem is having a sub par qb at any price. Flaccos contract isn't keeping the ravens from being able to compete

I was more talking about winning another Super Bowl. But I guess we will see as two seasons ago they missed the playoffs and only got in last year because the Chargers lost their final game.