Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Video on NT David Parry

The interesting thing to me is that the story says New England was very interested in Parry.

Well,  I'd say only up to a point.

Because the Pats had six, count 'em 6 cracks at Parry and passed on him every time.

They had picks in R's 1, 2 and 3.     I wouldn't expect ANY team to have Parry rated that highly.

But they also had three,  count 'em 3 picks in the 4th round and still passed on him each time.

They might've been interested in the 5th round,  but the Colts traded up and New England didn't have a chance.   We took Parry more than a dozen picks ahead of New England.     Maybe the Colts knew of NE's interest?  

I had Parry with a 5th/6th round grade.     I'm glad we took him,  but I'm not sure I see him being the answer to teams running up the middle on us,   whether it's the Pats or anyone else.

The interesting thing to me is that the story says New England was very interested in Parry.

Well,  I'd say only up to a point.

Because the Pats had six, count 'em 6 cracks at Parry and passed on him every time.

They had picks in R's 1, 2 and 3.     I wouldn't expect ANY team to have Parry rated that highly.

But they also had three,  count 'em 3 picks in the 4th round and still passed on him each time.

They might've been interested in the 5th round,  but the Colts traded up and New England didn't have a chance.   We took Parry more than a dozen picks ahead of New England.     Maybe the Colts knew of NE's interest?  

I had Parry with a 5th/6th round grade.     I'm glad we took him,  but I'm not sure I see him being the answer to teams running up the middle on us,   whether it's the Pats or anyone else.

Probably because Brown slid to the Pats in tje first which they were probably thinking was highly unlikely. And Parry might have been a guy they were really looking at for late if they couldn't get a top tier guy early.

And Parry has frankly proved all his doubters wrong so far. He looked very striut in those clips. Plus he shows the ability to shed blocks. He plays with keverage, great strength and good technique. You can do those things...you can easily overcome being undersized by maybe 20lbs. And I really think in the off season he's gonna put on 7-10 lbs and get even stronger.

I watched Parry against Oregon & Maryland on those video clips within that link. Not all that impressive to me. He seemed to get manhandled & overwhelmed too easily. Hopefully, Pagano can fix that & make him bulk up in the weight room. 

Maybe they were just 2 lackluster performances in an otherwise productive Stanford career which is entirely possible. Any graduate of Stanford is wicked smart so I'm sure he'll improve rapidly. 

I just don't like seeing NT's pushed backwards or sideways I guess. Parry will be fine I think. 

I watched Parry against Oregon & Maryland on those video clips within that link. Not all that impressive to me. He seemed to get manhandled & overwhelmed too easily. Hopefully, Pagano can fix that & make him bulk up in the weight room.

I can't say I watched alot og him overall but from what I saw...90% of the time he held his ground...bull rushed a number of guys and was causing havoc up the middle a number of times. He shows at least the ability tp get penatration. And every guy will get beat his fair share of times. Sometimes the other guy or guys win. Just how it rolls.

I can't say I watched alot og him overall but from what I saw...90% of the time he held his ground...bull rushed a number of guys and was causing havoc up the middle a number of times. He shows at least the ability tp get penatration. And every guy will get beat his fair share of times. Sometimes the other guy or guys win. Just how it rolls.

Sure,  nobody's perfect & yes it is possible to be outmatched once in awhile. I will grant you that. Yes, the effort is there as well as the motor. His learning curve & ability to adapt to the next level will be swift. Even when Parry gets beat, he grinds out the next down like it never happened which is an admirable trait. 

Penetration to me is collapsing the pocket completely & paralyzing where the opposing QB goes with the ball. Parry is nowhere near that not yet. On the 2 clips I watched, Parry got some movement, but nothing that dazzled me. I will be patient & give him time to wow me though. 

Sure,  nobody's perfect & yes it is possible to be outmatched once in awhile. I will grant you that. Yes, the effort is there as well as the motor. His learning curve & ability to adapt to the next level will be swift. Even when Parry gets beat, he grinds out the next down like it never happened which is an admirable trait. 

Penetration to me is collapsing the pocket completely & paralyzing where the opposing QB goes with the ball. Parry is nowhere near that not yet. On the 2 clips I watched, Parry got some movement, but nothing that dazzled me. I will be patient & give him time to wow me though. 

If he were able to do those things consistently as a NT then he wouldn't have lasted till the 5th round ;)

I saw a number of times between the videos where he collapsed the pocket and took his guy and just drived him right back in the QBs face. The first or second play in the Oregon Video he takes his guy all the way back right into the QBs face. Then the next two plays he helps stuff two runs by creating a wall basically. Also that Oregon game was his first game back after being out with an injury for a while. He rarely ever loses ground either. There are times here and there...but it's rare.

• 2 weeks later...

The question for me is of he's better than Chapman or head the potential to be. We could use an upgrade at NT.

The question for me is of he's better than Chapman or head the potential to be. We could use an upgrade at NT.

Yet to be determined

But, I really am not excited by Chapman.

When we drafted him he seemed like a great pick (where we got him)

He may be carrying too much weight, but I see a guy who gets no penetration, and gets moved back

Parry may need some coaching and some weight room, but sometimes the shorter stronger guy with some movement can get under the larger 

OL pads and is tough to block because of leverage

• 1 month later...

Yet to be determined

But, I really am not excited by Chapman.

When we drafted him he seemed like a great pick (where we got him)

He may be carrying too much weight, but I see a guy who gets no penetration, and gets moved back

Parry may need some coaching and some weight room, but sometimes the shorter stronger guy with some movement can get under the larger

OL pads and is tough to block because of leverage

Last part of your last paragraph is key. He stays low and he gets off quick!!! And he's already pretty strong. Has 34 reps I believe. But still.... it's the NFL now and he's gonna have to take it to another level.

we gave up a 7th round pick. who cares[/quote

We traded our 5th and 7th round pick. I was just saying that we drafted him too early and moved up 14 spots I believe to do so. No big deal. But we could have got him more than likely without trading up.[/quote

Grigs seemed to think he needed to make a move to get him. If he thought he was going to be there in 14 picks he probably would not have traded up. I guess it comes down to who had a better feel for the draft you or Grig's.....

Think Hughes has more potential at NT than chapman or parry.

Potential? Yes. But as far as how good of a player he actually is, no one knows. We've only seen him play nose on a handful of snaps. It's hard to imagine that he still hasn't cracked the starting lineup yet going into his 3rd season.

I don't think they see him playing DE since we signed Langford and drafted Anderson. So it's probably either NT or bust for Hughes.

We traded our 5th and 7th round pick. I was just saying that we drafted him too early and moved up 14 spots I believe to do so. No big deal. But we could have got him more than likely without trading up.[/quote

Grigs seemed to think he needed to make a move to get him. If he thought he was going to be there in 14 picks he probably would not have traded up. I guess it comes down to who had a better feel for the draft you or Grig's.....

so youre mad grigs got rid of 7th round pick who probably would not have made the roster anyway

so youre mad grigs got rid of 7th round pick who probably would not have made the roster anyway

I'm not mad I said if he thought Parry would be there in 14 picks as the other poster suggested then he would not have traded up for him. My question was how the other poster thinks he knew more than Grig's about how the draft was going to play out?

It was one of our 2 7th round picks. I had no problem with the move. I found it humorous that a dude at home on his couch with much less information than Grig's was so sure Parry would have been there and we could have saved that "precious" pick in the 7th.

I think Grig's has done well bringing in players. 2013 was a rough one so far. Werner switching sides a healthy Holmes Thorton and Hughes stepping up might change things a little. A lot to ask for I know. Not worried about a 7th rounder being used to get the guy you want.

I'm glad we at least picked him up after not taking Brown or the other NT available in the 1st.

I'm hoping/thinking having him and Anderson playing together may proof to be a good move with both of them playing together at Standford for years... they know each others moves... they should be able to pick up the system quick... just hoping we will all be pleasantly surprised over the next couple years

I saw a number of times between the videos where he collapsed the pocket and took his guy and just drived him right back in the QBs face. The first or second play in the Oregon Video he takes his guy all the way back right into the QBs face. Then the next two plays he helps stuff two runs by creating a wall basically. Also that Oregon game was his first game back after being out with an injury for a while. He rarely ever loses ground either. There are times here and there...but it's rare.

Uh, it`s college.

We traded our 5th and 7th round pick. I was just saying that we drafted him too early and moved up 14 spots I believe to do so. No big deal. But we could have got him more than likely without trading up.

Actually if you had access to all the info you would understand that NE had a considerable interest in him and perhaps every other team past our choosing him with that 5th round pick.