Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Can you predict how much (if any) impact some of the undrafted free agents will have next year?

AmberDerrow

Here's what Colts.com writer, Kevin Bowen, had to say in this week's Mailbag:

We got a couple of questions this week on Tyler Varga, the undrafted running back from Yale. He showed at the Senior Bowl (two touchdowns) that he could play against some of college football’s premier talent. Varga is also a versatile guy (could play some fullback), which is paramount for back end of the roster guys. A pair of other names from the undrafted class that are intriguing to watch is outside linebackerZack Hodgesicon-article-link.gif (Harvard) and cornerback Donald Celiscaricon-article-link.gif (Western Michigan).

What do you think?

I'm thinking Hodges, Sylvestre, Celiscar, and maybe Galea will make it in some capacity whether it be 53 man roster or Practice Squad.  I'm watching Shabazz at cornerback and Abou Toure at running back.  Also watching Carlos Fields at ILB(FA pick up from late last year).  Some people say tailback, but I think Varga is here strictly for a possible fullback role and special teams.

I have a hard enough time judging drafted picks & their future success let alone undrafted ones. Sorry, I realize you probably wanted a more concrete answer Amber. It's a good question. I'm not trying to downplay or trivialize your question BTW. 

Right now, I'm kind of fascinated by the Wells Report/Deflate Gate. Sooner or later, I will get back to looking at our roster once training camp starts. I like what krunk said & ColtSense too since Grigs always finds gem players in the CFL. 

It probably doesn't shed light on your thread, but I don't focus much of my time on undrafted guys unless they are still on the roster after preseason. Ask me again in late August. 

On O I think 3 have a chance, the C Vitabile, RB Vargas, and maybe OT Good

On D I think they brought in some VERY draftable players  LB/SS Sylvestre, LB Hodges, LB Hartsfield, LB Galea, S Celiscar, and S Robert Smith....  not of the Cure but from Clemson.

I would almost bet the ranch Celiscar and Sylvestre make this team ....  on the  53 man roster.     I want to see the LB'res also in preseason because if they can get pressure on the QB this D staff will have some tough decisions to make.

Mathis is also a factor for these young LB's ...     If Robert can't play then one of them will make the team.

I have a hard enough time judging drafted picks & their future success let alone undrafted ones. Sorry, I realize you probably wanted a more concrete answer Amber. It's a good question. I'm not trying to downplay or trivialize your question BTW. 

Right now, I'm kind of fascinated by the Wells Report/Deflate Gate. Sooner or later, I will get back to looking at our roster once training camp starts. I like what krunk said & ColtSense too since Grigs always finds gem players in the CFL. 

It probably doesn't shed light on your thread, but I don't focus much of my time on undrafted guys unless they are still on the roster after preseason. Ask me again in late August.

Kudos southwest , you just know how to talk to people and I like it!

Kudos southwest , you just know how to talk to people and I like it!

Thank you for the complement Bird dog. I appreciate that. I just describe how I see things as straightforward as possible without making people feel foolish or dumb. I also joke around a lot.

There are a number of members a lot smarter than me on here, but the NFL gurus who reside here frequently always answer any questions I may have & I really admire how smart & versatile people are on the forum from all walks of life. It's what keeps me coming back daily, weekly, yearly. 

Anyway, it was nice chatting with you BD. Thanks again for your kind words on my behalf.  :hat:

I'm also keeping an eye on UDFA Safety Robert Smith from Clemson.  He's on the Colts

This guy to me projects as a box safety in the pros, but if he makes the team I think he would be mostly special teamer to stick around.

Watching film of him he is a real good thumper and not bad in coverage.  Excellent tackler who plays under control, especially against the run he'll come up and fill a hole in a minute. When he makes contact the ball carrier always goes down.  Most of the time the ball carrier is going backwards.  I think he's about a 4.5 to 4.6 type of guy so maybe that's the issue. Could make more plays as far as interceptions go, I think he had 2 in 2014.

https://youtu.be/DXf4m4RkrPE