Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Shane Ray cited for possession.

After the Dion Jordan news, Shane Ray is losing A LOT of money. Our #29 pick will sign a four year contract for ~$7.5m. Our #128 pick will sign a four year contract for ~$2.7m. 

If you can't make it a few weeks before the draft without sparking up, there are serious questions about your ability to avoid getting caught during the season. 

Right on.  and because you are already in Phase I on the NFL Substance Abuse Program,  they subjected can be tested more often and including marijuana during the season.  Players never caught before get away with smoking the cannabis during the season because only 10 players on the 53 man roster of each team  get tested each week, and ONLY for banned PED;s.  Not THC and other recreationally abused substances.  The kids caught with illegal substance(s) before the season has begun have lost all chances of getting away with smoking the weed during the season that  many others do get away with.  It's called working the system, but the young kids don't care  and only others get caught, not them. Until they did.

Functional strength rarely improves and if it does it still will be well below average against NFL tackles as opposed to CFB ones.

That's not true at all.  That is why teams have a team of strength and conditioning coaches, spend millions on their workout facilities and why it's important for players, especially young players, to go through those programs... too improve their functional strength.

Second:  Yes he will probably be weaker than most tackles he faces but that has been true for most speed rushers... it's one of the reasons why they are called speed rushers rather than bull rushers... because they use attributes other than strength to get the job done.

That's not true at all. That is why teams have a team of strength and conditioning coaches, spend millions on their workout facilities and why it's important for players, especially young players, to go through those programs... too improve their functional strength.

Second: Yes he will probably be weaker than most tackles he faces but that has been true for most speed rushers... it's one of the reasons why they are called speed rushers rather than bull rushers... because they use attributes other than strength to get the job done.

Howard Mudd says functional strength rarely improves. I'll take his word.

Howard Mudd says functional strength rarely improves. I'll take his word.

Mudd is using the clinical definition of functional strength, Functional strength is the ability to run your load-joints (shoulders, hips, knees, and ankles) through a full range of motion without pain, stiffness, or restriction.  

That is different than playing strength, which based on context of your post, is what you are referring to.

I can see Mudd's point although I disagree with it.  I think players can and do increase their functional strength but that goes well beyond weight training and includes, diet, stretches, etc.  Plus I've been on the field and heard him tell guys they need to hit the weight room and get stronger.  I doubt if he'd say that if he didn't think there would be improvement.

From a coaching position, it is telling about the players decision making.  Getting caught for week a week before the draft means the kids doesn't have good decision making abilities.  What is he going to do on Friday night before the travel off for the big game Sunday?  GM's and coaches also worry about potential chronic issues, since testing will be frequent from now on for that player.

Almost everyone looks at the pot issue in terms of its legality, the threat of suspension, or a moral issue.  I don't.  I look at it from a professional attitude point of view.

If pot was federally legal, would there be a problem still if someone smoked it frequently?  I think so.

Again, what if a professional athlete frequently smokes marlboros during his time off?  What if he frequently ate a box of twinkies for dinner?  or White Castles? 

As a coach or GM, how seriously would you think the player was in trying to be the best athlete he could be?  And nobody tell me that pot is different.  No.  Its worse than twinkies, white castles, and probably tobacco (without the additives).

Bill Polian said that Marvin Harrison was a well known junk food eater, and they actually tried to word his contract to penalize him for his dietary habits.  If your'e a professinal athlete, what you put in your body matters.  Anything that doesn't contribute to your health in a positive way is a waste of time, and probably a set back.

Of course, the junk food didn't hurt Marvin so much...he was a special talent, but he never did ever recover from the one significant injury he had.  Maybe he wasn't in the best shape he could be.