Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Breakdown of South Carolina RB Mike Davis

5235ce696a132.image.jpg

Size: 5'9" 217 lbs. This all comes down to preference. I prefer my runners to be about 5'10" and around 227 lbs. Would prefer bigger hands. Davis is a bowling-ball with a low center of gravity. (4/5)

Athleticism: Davis possesses just enough speed to be a long distance threat. He ran a 4.61 at the combine and a 4.52 at his pro day. Lateral agility and explosion are all average. Davis isn't a homerun hitting player. He'll grind it out. A little bit stiff as a runner. Limits him in change of direction. (6/10)

Vision: Davis is a basic North-South runner who rarely bounces it to the outside unless that's what the play call indicates. His insider vision is average, and I'm worried a deficiency in vision is being masked by him taking a lot (read: majority) of his snaps from shotgun or pistol formations. He sometimes gets tunnel vision when the play is designed to go through the A-gap. Lowers his head far too often for my liking. Outside and open-field vision are both pretty good. (7/10)

​3rd down ability (Pass Blocking and Receiving): Davis had the 3rd highest yards per route run (receiving yards/snaps in route) of RBs in this draft; behind only Buck Allen and Duke Johnson. His ability as a receiver are evident on tape. He's a natural hands catcher who plucks the ball out of the air. South Carolina would line him out-wide as a WR a few snaps in each game I watched.  I don't have statistics, but only 1 blown pass block in limited attempts. He definitely has the frame for it. (9/10 (5/5 for receiving and 4/5 for pass block)

Balance: He can often find himself tripped up when grabbed or arm tackled by his feet. Usually maintains his balance if he absorbs a hit up high. Really inconsistent. I'm going to lean to slightly above average in the balance department. (6/10)

Physicality: Davis is a guy who relishes the opportunity to dish out pain. He's a plodder who uses his heavy feet, low center of gravity, and pure strength to bounce off of tackles and run over linebackers and defensive backs. He's not Todd Gurley powerful, but he's at least on par with David Cobb. He's a violent player who runs with reckless abandon. (8/10)

Improvisation: Like Cobb, Davis isn't a very elusive player. It's not his game. He'd much rather run through you than around you. Ideally, you'd want a player who can do both, but that's hard to find outside of the top 2 rounds of the draft. He has a powerful jump-cut and even utilizes a decent spin-move. Jamaal Charles he is not. (4/10)

Ball Security: 1 fumble every 87.3 touches. My rule of thumb is 1 every 100 touches. (5/10)

GIFs: 

Catch as a WR: http://zippy.gfycat.com/TepidAntiqueAustraliankestrel.webm

Shakes off and drag defenders: http://zippy.gfycat.com/AshamedUnhealthyHyena.webm

Nice burst of speed and hop to maximize yards: http://zippy.gfycat.com/FrequentGenuineFugu.webm

Just enough speed: http://fat.gfycat.com/GiftedRapidAsiaticmouflon.webm

Late to recognize edge rusher and almost gets QB killed: http://zippy.gfycat.com/BraveFixedKrill.webm

Finishes run with authority: http://zippy.gfycat.com/BoringHeartyCrossbill.webm

Bounces of tackle, but loses balance: http://zippy.gfycat.com/SickWeepyKangaroo.webm

Catches a poorly thrown screen pass: http://zippy.gfycat.com/EducatedHomelyEel.webm

Conclusion: 

Grade: 49 out of 75 which makes him a 3rd-round pick. 

Davis had a disappointing final season at at SCar. He was supposed to solidify himself as a first round pick, but instead finished with a season filled with inconsistency and injury. No matter, Davis is still a solid mid-round RB option with good 3rd down ability and a nasty downhill running style that fits exactly what the Colts talk about what they want in a runningback. Davis is not only a solid second option behind Gore, but he also has workhorse potential in the following years. 

NFL Comparison: Ahmad Bradshaw

Like I've said before, he's not really to blame for how his season ended at S.Carolina

The staff there needs to be canned. Davis has all the potential in the world. Might be great value at our pick in the 3rd round.

I believe he is a great value pick in the 3rd. I think he is the most complete back in this draft when you look at protection, pass catching ability, and running the ball. He is a 3 down back. The guy he reminds me of is Frank Gore. He had a down season last year which could really help us. If you go back and look at some 2013 tape you will be more impressed with the tape. He's the guy I hope falls to us. I have him sliding to us in the 4th.

I have said this over and over but for all these backs to go where they are projected about a 1/3 of the NFL teams would have to draft a back in the first 3 rounds. I just don't see it backs are going to slide.

I really don't see the fanfare this guy has,especially in a RB Draft Class as Talented and deep as this year's.

He could be a good compliment to a feature RB to get some tough yards inside with a adequate run blocking OL, but I don't see him being a #1 back or anything more than average.

I enjoy Dustins write ups and I think he has good knowledge, so I don't want to turn this into some big debate. However,  it's kind of strange to me in some ways that Dustin likes Davis so much.  A guy who is pretty much nothing but a North/South runner with vision issues, a little bit stiff, not much speed, doesn't really make his own holes, fairly good receiving skills, took most of his snaps out of the shotgun. I find it funny that he showed bias against Tevin Coleman for many of these same things and he gives Davis a pass when he shows many(but not all) of those same qualities. And Coleman is a way faster and a much more productive runner than Davis.

Although I think Davis is a good back and could be successful he's not my first choice for the second or third rounds.  To me he lacks speed and he can't make his own yardage consistently.  I think you can find this style of player or better players in later rounds or even UDFA. Again I'm not dissing or trying to start a controversy, but when you look at guys like Matt Jones out of Florida, David Cobb, heck even Zach Zenner.   I just think this style of back can be found later on.

To each his own of course.

I enjoy Dustins write ups and I think he has good knowledge, so I don't want to turn this into some big debate. However, it's kind of strange to me in some ways that Dustin likes Davis so much. A guy who is pretty much nothing but a North/South runner with vision issues, a little bit stiff, not much speed, doesn't really make his own holes, fairly good receiving skills, took most of his snaps out of the shotgun. I find it funny that he showed bias against Tevin Coleman for many of these same things and he gives Davis a pass when he shows many(but not all) of those same qualities. And Coleman is a way faster and a much more productive runner than Davis.

Although I think Davis is a good back and could be successful he's not my first choice for the second or third rounds. To me he lacks speed and he can't make his own yardage consistently. I think you can find this style of player or better players in later rounds or even UDFA. Again I'm not dissing or trying to start a controversy, but when you look at guys like Matt Jones out of Florida, David Cobb, heck even Zach Zenner. I just think this style of back can be found later on.

To each his own of course.

I have Coleman and Davis rated basically the same.