Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

offensive line

superrep1967

Doesn't have to be a top pick, look at Jeff Saturday. ....

Guys like Saturday are far more the exception than the are the rule.

If all it took to create a very good OL was to sign free agents,  then that's what everybody would do.

Grigson has said his goal was to build the best OL in the NFL.     We are a long, long way from that.

I'd like to see more commitment to building a great OL and that requires a high draft pick.

Dallas has three #1's on their OL.    That's what has made their offense hum along....   Suddenly Romo and Murray got much better and that made Bryant and Williams and Whitten much better.

Build a great OL and everything else becomes much easier.

If all it took to create a very good OL was to sign free agents,  then that's what everybody would do.

Grigson has said his goal was to build the best OL in the NFL.     We are a long, long way from that.

I'd like to see more commitment to building a great OL and that requires a high draft pick.

Dallas has three #1's on their OL.    That's what has made their offense hum along....   Suddenly Romo and Murray got much better and that made Bryant and Williams and Whitten much better.

I've been saying the same thing. Hopefully Herriman gets us a little closer.

BTW, we have two #1's and a #2 starting. And Dallas had the luxury of drafting earlier than us just about every year save 12.

This is just a thought Castanzo and Mewhort LT and LG sign Wisnewski to be C, I guess Herreman RG a RT in the 1st maybe Peat or Clemings., release Louis and Thomas creates 4mill in cap and release Cherilus has like a 8-9 hit in dead money but it's better than his 12mil cap hit next year and 13mil the yr after that

I've been saying the same thing. Hopefully Herriman gets us a little closer.

BTW, we have two #1's and a #2 starting. And Dallas had the luxury of drafting earlier than us just about every year save 12.

Yeah....  except that our #1 has not come close to performing like a #1.    He wasn't performing like a #1 when he was with Detroit.

So,  we're paying #1 RT money but no getting #1 RT performance.

As for Dallas,  one of their three #1's....   Frederick, the center,   the Cowboys traded down to roughly 30 before taking him.   Smith I think was picked about 9th and the RG from ND was taken about 15th or so.

Yes, we have the quantity,  but it's not clear -- to me, at least -- that we have the quality.

So,  if somehow we do NOT use one our first four picks (I'd prefer first three rounds) on a quality o-lineman,  I'll be very, very disappointed.

I agree, you would think even if we believe that we can get through one more season with Cherilus we still almost have to get an OT that can hopefully be ready to step in and replace him next season.

This is just a thought Castanzo and Mewhort LT and LG sign Wisnewski to be C, I guess Herreman RG a RT in the 1st maybe Peat or Clemings., release Louis and Thomas creates 4mill in cap and release Cherilus has like a 8-9 hit in dead money but it's better than his 12mil cap hit next year and 13mil the yr after that

Don't know where you're getting those numbers from.

Yeah....  except that our #1 has not come close to performing like a #1.    He wasn't performing like a #1 when he was with Detroit.

So,  we're paying #1 RT money but no getting #1 RT performance.

As for Dallas,  one of their three #1's....   Frederick, the center,   the Cowboys traded down to roughly 30 before taking him.   Smith I think was picked about 9th and the RG from ND was taken about 15th or so.

I'm for over drafting, but you just made the point that just because you're a high pick doesn't mean you'll play like it.

Yes, we need that RT to play like he did in 13. And we need Herriman to continue his solid play. If so, we have a solid, not great, line. They were good in pass protection last year, that should be better with the addition.

It's easy to say we need monsters, and we need to improve the line, we all know that. But I dont think we're that far off.

I'm for over drafting, but you just made the point that just because you're a high pick doesn't mean you'll play like it.

Yes, we need that RT to play like he did in 13. And we need Herriman to continue his solid play. If so, we have a solid, not great, line. They were good in pass protection last year, that should be better with the addition.

It's easy to say we need monsters, and we need to improve the line, we all know that. But I dont think we're that far off.

I think Cherilus playing like he did in '13 is the minimum we should hope for.

I thought he was average.   Frankly, I was hoping for more.

I hope we get at least that this year,  if not more.

Either way,  he's toast for '16 and '17.

We need to draft T.J.Clemmings from U of Pittsburgh he will be a stud left OL tackle who will keep Andrew safe !!

We don't need a LT. Plus, he's too raw for about any team to put him on the left side in his first year. I think he could be an excellent RT though and that's where he would end up if the Colts were to pick him.

I don't understand why we haven't signed Wisnewski to replace Holmes...

With Wisnewski not getting a whole lot of attention from other teams now, I'd say there is a reason behind it. Holmes did fine in the playoffs and it's also a cheaper option. He also already knows the playbook/protections.

No Richardson and a slightly shorter, smarter passing game might do wonders for this group, as it did in the playoffs. 

A consistent running game with Gore will help the pass protection.  Defenses will no longer be able to tee off on Luck. 

Utilizing Gore in the passing game, as was done with Boom in the playoffs, will only help.  The O-line isn't asked to pass protect for a 25 yard throw every dropback. 

Another year of experience won't hurt.

Dallas has three #1's on their OL.    That's what has made their offense hum along....   Suddenly . Romo and Murray got much better and that made Bryant and Williams and Whitten much better.

You are right on. I would hope we grab our RT of the future in the first two rounds depending on how the draft shakes out.  

I think we are going with Holmes at C. That being said hopefully the game has slowed down a bit for Harrison because Holmes has yet to make it to week one. I don't see a C being brought in unless Holmes goes down before the season starts again.

If it were me I would sign Wiz and solve that problem but I don't see it happening. It isn't like Holmes was the second coming of Mike Webster when he played but Grig's looks like he is sticking with him again. Please work hard and be ready Harrison

The left side looks pretty good. A 1st at LT and a 2nd at RG.  Imagine that.

We have plenty of guys to battle it out for the starting RG position. Idealy Thorton has improved and wins the job. If not that is what Herreran's was signed for. The RG spot should be better than last year.

RT is the big question mark. Will it be Godser maybe Reitz could Ulrich John be ready? Maybe the draft pick is ready to go day one. We have the bodies to fill it this year but that spot has to be addressed in this draft IMO 

Either way the O Line should be better than last year. Hopefully we continue to build and the players we have brought in continue to get better.

Much like last year a lot depends on Holmes. It is difficult to build a good line without some consistency at the C position.

I think Cherilus playing like he did in '13 is the minimum we should hope for.

I thought he was average.   Frankly, I was hoping for more.

I hope we get at least that this year,  if not more.

Either way,  he's toast for '16 and '17.

I don't think you'll have to worry about Cherilus this year. I'm still carrying Cherilus as a projected cut on my off-season spreadsheet, but the fact that he wasn't cut ahead of free agency creates suspicion that they might want to see if he can get to 100% healthy before they make that decision.  

All told, the Reitz signing to me was a clear signal that Cherilus won't make it to opening day.  Though it didn't break the bank, we spent enough on Reitz that they expect him to be more than just insurance this year.  I think they liked the productivity of the O-line during the playoff run, and expect Reitz to open the season at RT supported by a draft pick in the first four rounds in case Reitz gets hurt or is needed for his versatility elsewhere.

I think it is a better plan than paying Cherilus the incremental $4M he would cost this year, including immediate production, and sets us up better for the future.