Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Wilfork to become a FA [Merge]

I wouldn't mind if we got him, but honestly if the Patriots have ANY CLASS they resign him to a lessor deal!! New England cheating * Patriots!!!!

You don't pay players in the NFL bases on sentimentality

I wouldn't mind if we got him, but honestly if the Patriots have ANY CLASS they resign him to a lessor deal!! New England cheating * Patriots!!!!

This is the kind of comment that, as a NE fan, I don't even understand. 

Do you feel the same about every team that's cut a beloved-but-overpriced veteran player this week? 

And for some reason, you're saying that asking a player to take a pay cut is more respectful to him somehow than giving him a shot at free agency? 

The market will dictate what Wilfork is worth, and if the Patriots want to match it, maybe he stays. But no one is going to give him the $8M he was due to make. 

Do you feel the same about every team that's cut a beloved-but-overpriced veteran player this week? 

And for some reason, you're saying that asking a player to take a pay cut is more respectful to him somehow than giving him a shot at free agency? 

The market will dictate what Wilfork is worth, and if the Patriots want to match it, maybe he stays. But no one is going to give him the $8M he was due to make. 

The irony of the post you commented on came the day before the Colts declined to re-sign Wayne.

Yes taking a pay cut to stay with a team that he loves, battled for, bleed for, sweated for, yes it is more respectful!!!! Its his choice then to stay or leave. The guy is still VERY GOOD and honestly not over paid when you factor in his leadership skills! Its not a Reggie Wayne thing where the guy is 36 & with vastly deminsided skills.

The irony of the post you commented on came the day before the Colts declined to re-sign Wayne.

Different scenario entirely, 1 Reggie is 36 coming off injury and looks as if his skills have demisted & is already a free agent. Its like the Colts cutting Reggie last year! Wilfork is coming off a year in which a nose tackle had 40 tackles & played good ball & is 30 & won a super bowl! HUGE DIFFERENCE

Different scenario entirely, 1 Reggie is 36 coming off injury and looks as if his skills have demisted & is already a free agent. Its like the Colts cutting Reggie last year! Wilfork is coming off a year in which a nose tackle had 40 tackles & played good ball & is 30 & won a super bowl! HUGE DIFFERENCE

Wilfork will be 34 once the season starts

Wilfork is 34. And he had a subpar first half , and a solid second half.

Yes taking a pay cut to stay with a team that he loves, battled for, bleed for, sweated for, yes it is more respectful!!!! Its his choice then to stay or leave. The guy is still VERY GOOD and honestly not over paid when you factor in his leadership skills! Its not a Reggie Wayne thing where the guy is 36 & with vastly deminsided skills.

If the Patriots used your logic, they would have cut him LAST year. 340 pound DT coming off an Achilles?

The Wayne/Wilfork situations are far more similar than you think. Wayne may be a couple of years older, but as a DT, Wilfork has surely put more miles on his his body. 

But either way the Patriots, as an organization, have held fast to their philosophy to part ways with players a year too early instead of a year too late. As a fan that sometimes sucks, because you have to watch your favorite players walk out the door. The trade-off is that the Patriots haven't missed the playoffs (with Brady healthy) since 2002. They're constantly turning over the roster this way, and it's hard to argue with the results. 

Even Wilfork knows that. He's been around. 

I think Wilfork has some left in the tank....but playing outside that great winning organization in NE....I think will have an effect on him. I think he has an effective year and then fades into obscurity....once the heart goes...then so does the game....and I don't think his heart will be in it like it was in NE. Great great player.

I think Wilfork has some left in the tank....but playing outside that great winning organization in NE....I think will have an effect on him. I think he has an effective year and then fades into obscurity....once the heart goes...then so does the game....and I don't think his heart will be in it like it was in NE. Great great player.

He does (still have some gas in the tank)... he wasn't the same double-team-shedding, run-stuffing presence in the middle that he was in the past, but he's absolutely still a useful piece for the right team. It's not out of the realm of possibility that NE brings him back, but I think another team will outbid them for him. 

He does (still have some gas in the tank)... he wasn't the same double-team-shedding, run-stuffing presence in the middle that he was in the past, but he's absolutely still a useful piece for the right team. It's not out of the realm of possibility that NE brings him back, but I think another team will outbid them for him. 

I agree....just seeing how much love he has for that organization and especially Kraft I just can't see him going to another organization and having the same influence on him. Perhaps if he goes to a strong winning clubhouse but if not...guy has made his money, won championships, but lost his friendships....I think that will rob him of his joy and reason for playing.

I agree....just seeing how much love he has for that organization and especially Kraft I just can't see him going to another organization and having the same influence on him. Perhaps if he goes to a strong winning clubhouse but if not...guy has made his money, won championships, but lost his friendships....I think that will rob him of his joy and reason for playing.

I hope they do (bring him back). This was a tough one for me. Most of the time I can roll with the cuts, but Vince has been around and he's by all accounts a wonderful guy. One of the local radio guys called him the "most normal" professional athlete he's ever been around, lol...