Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Wilfork to become a FA [Merge]

A truly classy guy. I'm fortunate enough to live in the same town as Vince and he is as good a guy as you'd ever run into. He was out shoveling out fire hydrants in the neighborhood a few days ago...and the other thing I love is that his oldest kid is working bagging groceries at one of the local supermarkets here. I'm sure Vince has enough money that his kids probably would never have to work a day in their lives so it says a lot to me that they are trying to instill a work ethic into him. I hope it works out so that he can return to the Pats, but this note makes it sound like he thinks he'll get a better offer elsewhere, and if so I wish him the best of luck.

they are letting him go because of cap situation. I say we take Wilfork, Ngata and McPhee. those 3 cost us way less than suh and we bolster our D significantly

Yes, but a player who is essential doesn't hit FA. You find a way to pay guys like that. That's why J.J. Watt never hit the open market. He's 30 and past his prime. And the Colts don't need any more "quick fixes" on D. No more guys in their 30s who are past their prime.

Even though I say I don't want the Colts to spend big, I'd take Suh, Fairley, or McCourty way before Wilfork or Ngata.

Yes, but a player who is essential doesn't hit FA. You find a way to pay guys like that. That's why J.J. Watt never hit the open market. He's 30 and past his prime. And the Colts don't need any more "quick fixes" on D. No more guys in their 30s who are past their prime.

Even though I say I don't want the Colts to spend big, I'd take Suh, Fairley, or McCourty way before Wilfork or Ngata.

What "quick fixes" have been a problem?  Honestly I see more problems come from looking for younger players with "upside" then taking older players who still have a few good years left in them.

What "quick fixes" have been a problem?  Honestly I see more problems come from looking for younger players with "upside" then taking older players who still have a few good years left in them.

Laron Landry and D.Jackson come to mind. Regardless of if he made the pro-bowl as an alternate, Jackson did not play amazing most of the season. But even if we don't have a lot of quick fixes, this isn't a time to start.

Looking for young players with upside is the core of team building. We're only 3 seasons removed from a 2-12 season and we've over achieved up to an AFC Championship game, but the team lacks young play makers. That's what Seattle did and it worked for them. They got Lynch in a trade when he was still young and then drafted guys like Sherman, Chancellor, Thomas, Wilson, and others. Not to mention they had guys like Mebane and Bryant who were already there and pretty young. Then they brought in guys like Avril, Bennett,etc.. to complete their team

You don't sign 30+ FAs when you're building a team. You sign them when you have a team and need 1-3 pieces to take you to the next level.

Wonder if a team in the division will make a run at him.

It's sad that in present day sports great long term franchise players can't stay with their original team because of many different reasons.  Kobes about the only for sure exception unless Brady stays in NE.  What else does Vince have to accomplish?  I say he should retire and not play for anyone else and go out on top.  Just my opinion.

It's sad that in present day sports great long term franchise players can't stay with their original team because of many different reasons.  Kobes about the only for sure exception unless Brady stays in NE.  What else does Vince have to accomplish?  I say he should retire and not play for anyone else and go out on top.  Just my opinion.

It really doesn't bother me. I know some fans get all nostalgic over certain players but I want the team to win. Vince had a long career with us and two rings. The writing was on the wall that he would be gone after last season given the way his extension was structured. What Is nice is that he is leaving on good terms - calling Bill B. the best coach ever and a ring in his pocket. I don't think he should retire if he still feels like he can play. It is football after all and once you hang it up, it is over forever. I wish him well unless he goes to the Jets. lol.

It really doesn't bother me. I know some fans get all nostalgic over certain players but I want the team to win. Vince had a long career with us and two rings. The writing was on the wall that he would be gone after last season given the way his extension was structured. What Is nice is that he is leaving on good terms - calling Bill B. the best coach ever and a ring in his pocket. I don't think he should retire if he still feels like he can play. It is football after all and once you hang it up, it is over forever. I wish him well unless he goes to the Jets. lol.

I was thinking the Bills.

Laron Landry and D.Jackson come to mind. Regardless of if he made the pro-bowl as an alternate, Jackson did not play amazing most of the season. But even if we don't have a lot of quick fixes, this isn't a time to start.

Looking for young players with upside is the core of team building. We're only 3 seasons removed from a 2-12 season and we've over achieved up to an AFC Championship game, but the team lacks young play makers. That's what Seattle did and it worked for them. They got Lynch in a trade when he was still young and then drafted guys like Sherman, Chancellor, Thomas, Wilson, and others. Not to mention they had guys like Mebane and Bryant who were already there and pretty young. Then they brought in guys like Avril, Bennett,etc.. to complete their team

You don't sign 30+ FAs when you're building a team. You sign them when you have a team and need 1-3 pieces to take you to the next level.

Landry wasn't anywhere near 30 when we signed him.  Wasn't he like 26 when we signed him?

D'qwell Jackson did alright. . . would you have preferred Angerer back there?  You can't just go out there and get a young stud anytime you want one.  I'd rather have alright at ILB then sucky at ILB.  And it's not like we spent a ton on D'qwell and his contract is essentially a 2 year deal.  If we have a better player after this year to replace him. . . he's gone, easy.  

Huh? He's 34, and not worth $8.9 mil. Still plays well, though.

They could a lot of the time if they are willing to take pay cuts that reflect their age and/or declining skill set.  But, usually they know they are in the twilight of their career also, and are looking to make the "retirement check" as big as possible. 

Don't pay attention to how the Pats operate much, eh?

30 isn't "past his prime", that is prime!! For a few years he'd be very good, and with him being released he'd have extra motovation..

I don't know if I'd call 30 "prime" but I also wouldn't call it too old. He could easily have another 3 years left in the tank. And this guy is one of those exceedingly rare beasts that you almost have to take a chance on, for the right price. I'd be shocked if Grigson weren't all over this.

I personally think your thoughts here are backwards.

Signing Wilfork would have not one thing to do with looking for younger players with upside.  That would not be hampered at all by bringing a guy like Wilfork who would be on a likely one year contract or at least one that Indy could get out of after year one.

You cite the Seahawks - well they brought in Kevin Williams last year to fill a specific role, which is what Indy would be doing with Wilfork.  The Colts would still look to FA to get younger and then obviously through the draft.

Teams make this kind of move all the time - go through the early periods of FA, see where they still need help and then take a chance on an older player who may still have some gas in the tank.  Indy would do this (if interested) and still have the ability to make the moves they want.

There is talk here that Vince could get resigned by the Pats depending on what he finds out in FA. I can't imagine anyone offering him huge money but I am not sure what the Pats would offer him either. Not much I would imagine given they have guys to fill his position.