Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Russell Wilson Contract Talks

dw49

I totally believe this is how it's going tho come down. Seattle can blow his horn all they like , but both sides are going to agree that he's not worth what the elite guys are worth. Seattle GM is pretty much saying Wilson does not have the NFL's richest contract in the horizon. Anyway... here ya go.....

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12306285/john-schneider-seattle-seahawks-talks-marshawn-lynch-russell-wilson

I totally believe this is how it's going tho come down. Seattle can blow his horn all they like , but both sides are going to agree that he's not worth what the elite guys are worth. Seattle GM is pretty much saying Wilson does not have the NFL's richest contract in the horizon. Anyway... here ya go.....

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12306285/john-schneider-seattle-seahawks-talks-marshawn-lynch-russell-wilson

They are going to have to pay him at least $20 mil. I can't see him taking less than that given he has been to two bowls and won one of them.

It is interesting the comments on Lynch. Sounds like the GM thinks Lynch may be considering retirement? As awful as Lynch comes off publicly, I think he is a very smart man and he wants to get paid. My gut tells me he is gone and will go to a bottom feeder like Oakland for the big bucks.  BTW, did you see when he came off the field after the pick to end the SB? He was laughing. Totally blew me away. It was like he knew in that moment how much Carroll and company were going to get shelled for not giving the ball to him and he enjoyed that. He did not seem upset at all that the team lost. He is a fascinating player. lol.

Lynch will end up in Oakland, and the raiders might be a contender...btw all the people talking crap to me when I said they had a great draft and fa...what now? They are going to be amazing this upcoming year and they are probably going to have another good draft and they will be set!

Lynch will end up in Oakland, and the raiders might be a contender...btw all the people talking crap to me when I said they had a great draft and fa...what now? They are going to be amazing this upcoming year and they are probably going to have another good draft and they will be set!

Let's pump the breaks and see if they can actually sign Lynch and get another good draft first.

They are going to have to pay him at least $20 mil. I can't see him taking less than that given he has been to two bowls and won one of them.

It is interesting the comments on Lynch. Sounds like the GM thinks Lynch may be considering retirement? As awful as Lynch comes off publicly, I think he is a very smart man and he wants to get paid. My gut tells me he is gone and will go to a bottom feeder like Oakland for the big bucks. BTW, did you see when he came off the field after the pick to end the SB? He was laughing. Totally blew me away. It was like he knew in that moment how much Carroll and company were going to get shelled for not giving the ball to him and he enjoyed that. He did not seem upset at all that the team lost. He is a fascinating player. lol.

Ya i think I discussed this in another article. He was waking with his family/friend and he says they whispered something in his ear and he laughed. It was unusual that he said it's a team sport and wasn't mad when asked how he felt about not getting the ball. But you're totally right, he knew he should have gotten the ball and they were going to get ripped for it.

I believe the rumors that they didn't want lynch getting mvp. He's not a carroll player, Wilson is. The nothing they can day to Lynch to make him believe they actually appreciate him and want him after that last play.

It is interesting the comments on Lynch. Sounds like the GM thinks Lynch may be considering retirement? As awful as Lynch comes off publicly, I think he is a very smart man and he wants to get paid. My gut tells me he is gone and will go to a bottom feeder like Oakland for the big bucks.  BTW, did you see when he came off the field after the pick to end the SB? He was laughing. Totally blew me away. It was like he knew in that moment how much Carroll and company were going to get shelled for not giving the ball to him and he enjoyed that. He did not seem upset at all that the team lost. He is a fascinating player. lol.

I'm thinking he has cap hits of 17-18 mill. It could average 20 but let's see if it's the real deal or just a backloaded deal that will be redone in the last few years.

I'm thinking he has cap hits of 17-18 mill. It could average 20 but let's see if it's the real deal or just a backloaded deal that will be redone in the last few years.

You have Flacco's deal and Cutler's deal for his agent to put in play here. I can't imagine him taking too much of a discount given he has been making 800k the last three seasons. But Wilson does seem to want to have a competitive team around him so maybe he keeps things reasonable.

You have Flacco's deal and Cutler's deal for his agent to put in play here. I can't imagine him taking too much of a discount given he has been making 800k the last three seasons. But Wilson does seem to want to have a competitive team around him so maybe he keeps things reasonable.

It's no doubt  debatable . You can make a case for 20 mill and you can make a case for somewhat less.

They'll get something done here. NFL contracts are all about guaranteed money, and the Seahawks will make sure Wilson gets his payday. (As a fan of a competing team, I hope he holds out for every last dime of course!  ;) )

As good as Lynch is, his production would be easier to replicate than Wilson's. 

The Seahawks' problem is that they have a bunch of other highly paid players on their roster now. Sherman, Thomas, Avril, Okung, Chancellor, Wright, Bennett and Lynch. That's 8 players averaging more than $7m/year, and none of them is a QB. (Plus they have $7m in dead money for Harvin in 2015.)

The Colts only have 4: Mathis, Davis, Cherilus, and Castonzo with an option. Luck's cap hit goes to $7m in 2015, but his average is about $5.5m/year. 

So the Seahawks have more of a need for Wilson to be a little more team-friendly. But they know they'll have to do at least $40m guaranteed (probably closer to $50m, or maybe even more), and they aren't going to want to backload the deal too much, because that could push guarantees out into Year 4 of the contract. They're going to have to do a big signing bonus.

Overall, it's a no-brainer. You should have no problem committing big money to Russell Wilson. He's one of the safest investments in the league. But you know that, in order to optimize his talents, you have to keep good players around him. In the end, I think he'll get his $20m/year, but I think they'll have to go with a big signing bonus and three years of guaranteed salary in order to keep his cap hit from ballooning right now. 

The Seahawks' problem is that they have a bunch of other highly paid players on their roster now. Sherman, Thomas, Avril, Okung, Chancellor, Wright, Bennett and Lynch. That's 8 players averaging more than $7m/year, and none of them is a QB. (Plus they have $7m in dead money for Harvin in 2015.)

The Colts only have 4: Mathis, Davis, Cherilus, and Castonzo with an option. Luck's cap hit goes to $7m in 2015, but his average is about $5.5m/year. 

So the Seahawks have more of a need for Wilson to be a little more team-friendly. But they know they'll have to do at least $40m guaranteed (probably closer to $50m, or maybe even more), and they aren't going to want to backload the deal too much, because that could push guarantees out into Year 4 of the contract. They're going to have to do a big signing bonus.

Overall, it's a no-brainer. You should have no problem committing big money to Russell Wilson. He's one of the safest investments in the league. But you know that, in order to optimize his talents, you have to keep good players around him. In the end, I think he'll get his $20m/year, but I think they'll have to go with a big signing bonus and three years of guaranteed salary in order to keep his cap hit from ballooning right now. 

Yes. They have the guys locked up on defense as you say at big money and they also need to get legit receivers/TEs for Wilson on offense. This will be a very interesting off-season for them.