Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Butlers 3 Different Stories

AndreRison

Butler gave 3 different stories, when talking about his interception.

When first asked about the play, he says

"I knew what was going to happen. I don't know how I knew. I just knew. I just beat him to the point and caught the ball."

Not so strange until he changes his story.

“I knew they were going to throw it,” Butler said. “Our defensive coordinator [Matt Patricia] is real smart and went with a goal-line, three-cornerback [formation]. We knew they were going to throw the ball."

Now that is a strange comment. He then says,

“I saw Wilson looking over there [toward the receivers],” Butler added. “He kept his head still and just looked over there, so that gave me a clue, and the stacked receivers. I just knew they were going to throw. My instincts, I just went with it — just went with my mind and made the play.”

So when did Matt Patricia know they were gonna run that play? Well let's hear what the back up QB had to say.

“We did [beat him], and Josh [boyce] got a touchdown on him,”“It got him ready and he knew what to expect. Jumping a route like that, it’s very impressive. That’s all instincts,” Garoppolo said. “I can’t remember what [butler] did wrong in practice, but it paid off tonight.”

So they knew they would run this in practice?

Let me get this straight. Marshall Faulk says in their Superbowl, the Patriots called perfect defenses for plays they never ran before. Kurt Warner thought it was odd.

In the Carolina Superbowl, the GM of their team said something similar.

Now in this Superbowl the 2 young guys can't shut up about their psychic defensive coordinator. I mean, Butler said a lot but he didn't give up the practice quote. That was Garoppolo.

What got me thinking about this was, Sal Pal mentioned it on the herd.

Sal also said, Browner went to Butler before the play and reminded Butler that he got beat on that play in practice. Sal got that from Butler.

So why does Butler give 3 different stories? Did the Patriots cheat again?

Butler gave 3 different stories, when talking about his interception.

When first asked about the play, he says

"I knew what was going to happen. I don't know how I knew. I just knew. I just beat him to the point and caught the ball."

Not so strange until he changes his story.

“I knew they were going to throw it,” Butler said. “Our defensive coordinator [Matt Patricia] is real smart and went with a goal-line, three-cornerback [formation]. We knew they were going to throw the ball."

Now that is a strange comment. He then says,

“I saw Wilson looking over there [toward the receivers],” Butler added. “He kept his head still and just looked over there, so that gave me a clue, and the stacked receivers. I just knew they were going to throw. My instincts, I just went with it — just went with my mind and made the play.”

So when did Matt Patricia know they were gonna run that play? Well let's hear what the back up QB had to say.

“We did [beat him], and Josh [boyce] got a touchdown on him,”“It got him ready and he knew what to expect. Jumping a route like that, it’s very impressive. That’s all instincts,” Garoppolo said. “I can’t remember what [butler] did wrong in practice, but it paid off tonight.”

So they knew they would run this in practice?

Let me get this straight. Marshall Faulk says in their Superbowl, the Patriots called perfect defenses for plays they never ran before. Kurt Warner thought it was odd.

In the Carolina Superbowl, the GM of their team said something similar.

Now in this Superbowl the 2 young guys can't shut up about their psychic defensive coordinator. I mean, Butler said a lot but he didn't give up the practice quote. That was Garoppolo.

What got me thinking about this was, Sal Pal mentioned it on the herd.

Sal also said, Browner went to Butler before the play and reminded Butler that he got beat on that play in practice. Sal got that from Butler.

So why does Butler give 3 different stories? Did the Patriots cheat again?

Sorry,  but this isn't three different stories.

It's one long story broken up into three pieces.   The kid was in absolute shock.   The mind simply can't process all that he went through.    A year ago he was working at a Poppeyes chicken restaurant, and now he's the hero of the Super Bowl.

He shared one piece....  and then a while later,  his mind clears a bit and he gathers his thoughts...   and he remembers more...

And then he remembers more still a little later.

There's no cheating here.    Heck, you can't even point to any cheating other than what you think are three different stories.

The Patriots won.    Get over it.    There's no there,  there.    There's nothing to look for.....

It's just one guy who made a great play and struggled to put it into words.....

how could any team ever know what plays the other team likes to run after 4 pre-season games, 16 regular season games, and 2 playoff games?! I mean...it almost is made to sound as though the Patriots saw this play on video or something, and then prepared for it in their practices. Now I ask you - where on earth would they get video of the Seahawks games to know about this play? I'll bet that cheating Belichick subscribes to NFL ticket and watches other teams games! What a cheater!

Then you have Belichick saying this,“They’re goal-line plays. That didn’t surprise me,” Belichick said. “They do a lot of things down there. We had to be ready for everything.”

Well that's odd Bill. If they do a lot of things, it seems weird you're ready for slant-middle-Lockette.

Then you have Belichick saying this,“They’re goal-line plays. That didn’t surprise me,” Belichick said. “They do a lot of things down there. We had to be ready for everything.”

Well that's odd Bill. If they do a lot of things, it seems weird you're ready for slant-middle-Lockette.

So...this is your first year following football, isn't it?

Attack the comments not the person. Ad Hominem. Debate the topic. Do we agree they've been accused by Hall of Famers for this exact thing?

Crazy conspiracy theories practically beg for ad hominem attacks. This is trolling, borderline baiting, and it makes you look bad.

Attack the comments not the person. Ad Hominem. Debate the topic. Do we agree they've been accused by Hall of Famers for this exact thing?

you don't even know what you are accusing them of! Here's how football works...each team hires a very large staff of scouts to obtain film of all their opponents' games and to meticulously study and chart each and ever tendency, formation, etc of those teams. The coaching staff uses all of this information to formulate a game plan and to practice against those plays and formations. Each team has a scout team whose job it is to simulate those plays and formations during the practice week. The goal of all of this is to educate the players on the field to recognize those formations and defend or attack them based on what they learned. That's what happened here. They recognized this goal line formation that the 'Hawks have run many times this year, Butler reacted and stepped into what he guessed was going to be the passing lane and made a great play. They call that "good football".

And I thought Saints fans were the tin foil hat community of NFL fan bases.  lmao

Give it a break, trust me. It wouldn't have mattered regardless. If Brady don't throw that first INT in the endzone, Pats would have won that game by 11 points with their last score running it up. Seattle was lucky to even be in that game. 

you don't even know what you are accusing them of! Here's how football works...each team hires a very large staff of scouts to obtain film of all their opponents' games and to meticulously study and chart each and ever tendency, formation, etc of those teams. The coaching staff uses all of this information to formulate a game plan and to practice against those plays and formations. Each team has a scout team whose job it is to simulate those plays and formations during the practice week. The goal of all of this is to educate the players on the field to recognize those formations and defend or attack them based on what they learned. That's what happened here. They recognized this goal line formation that the 'Hawks have run many times this year, Butler reacted and stepped into what he guessed was going to be the passing lane and made a great play. They call that "good football".

Many times? That's only the 3rd time all year they even ran the formation, in a short yardage situation.

And I thought Saints fans were the tin foil hat community of NFL fan bases. lmao

Give it a break, trust me. It wouldn't have mattered regardless. If Brady don't throw that first INT in the endzone, Pats would have won that game by 11 points with their last score running it up. Seattle was lucky to even be in that game.

So if they did cheat it wouldn't have mattered? They intercepted the ball on the 1! If true, it most certainly matters.

Crazy conspiracy theories practically beg for ad hominem attacks. This is trolling, borderline baiting, and it makes you look bad.

How am I trolling on an NFL section, of a Colts Forum? We are talking about the Patriots cheating in a way that they've been accused of before. At least twice.

Nope. You're talking about a crazy, wild-eyed accusation that has no factual basis.

The basis is... The Patriots practiced defending a play the Seahawks didn't run more than 4 times. And probably less than 4. They then know without a shadow of a doubt the Seahawks were gonna go to Lockette on a slant in.

Nope. You're talking about a crazy, wild-eyed accusation that has no factual basis.

At least his avatar fits lol.

BTW good clean board after SB .  Thanks to all forum members for a great civil day.

No reports- yet.  This guy might break the record :)

The basis is... The Patriots practiced defending a play the Seahawks didn't run more than 4 times. And probably less than 4. They then know without a shadow of a doubt the Seahawks were gonna go to Lockette on a slant in.

At some point, I'm hoping you'll actually share what nefarious thing you believe happened, rather than ranting incoherently with no actual point.

There aren't even the fumes of a factual basis there. It's called good scouting and good coaching.

Like I said to begin with, just stop.

Sorry,  but this isn't three different stories.

It's one long story broken up into three pieces.   The kid was in absolute shock.   The mind simply can't process all that he went through.    A year ago he was working at a Poppeyes chicken restaurant, and now he's the hero of the Super Bowl.

He shared one piece....  and then a while later,  his mind clears a bit and he gathers his thoughts...   and he remembers more...

And then he remembers more still a little later.

There's no cheating here.    Heck, you can't even point to any cheating other than what you think are three different stories.

The Patriots won.    Get over it.    There's no there,  there.    There's nothing to look for.....

It's just one guy who made a great play and struggled to put it into words.....

yeah love to see the OP put an all in compassing one answer right after a shocking game lol.

Part of it which we in Boston have learned from local sources is that Butler did practice that exact play against Jimmy G and the offense during the season and he didn't execute. He was told in stern words- "don't let that happen again"

He didn't. That's probably what he meant in part.

Patriots got caught with deflated football's, and we have years of former players, coaches, and Gms saying stuff about knowing plays......."it's like they knew our special plays before hand."

But everybody on the Colts forum is upset I would accuse them of cheating. If Don Shula calls him "Belli--cheat", I'm going with Don Shula.

Patriots got caught with deflated football's, and we have years of former players, coaches, and Gms saying stuff about knowing plays......."it's like they knew our special plays before hand."

But everybody on the Colts forum is upset I would accuse them of cheating. If Don Shula calls him "Belli--cheat", I'm going with Don Shula.

Just because a group of sour-grapes filled ex-players and GM's who all lost to the Patriots have made baseless accusations against the Patriots out of pure spite and jealousy doesn't mean that your incoherent babbling makes any more sense. Now, I'll ask for the 4th time...WHAT are you accusing them of doing here? Obviously your insinuation is that they somehow knew that Wilson was going to throw the ball to Lockette by means other than scouting and practice.....so please share with us HOW they knew this. I'm in the mood for a good laugh.