Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why Would You Trade Manning.

SubZero

With all this Luck talk it seems like they will draft him. Polian has been attending stanford games, Luck said hed be fine with a veteran QB, Polian said that they can afford both QBs, and Luck and Manning have had past ties.

So Im pretty sure that they will draft Luck but why in the world would you trade Manning. I know Manning is hurt but i dont see a logical reason to trade him. If hes healthy then he can lead this team if not then he will most likely retire. And its not like the Favre or Montana situation. Favre had Rodgers for 3 years and Young was with the team and looked promising.

Bottom line if Manning is heathly Keep him.

Why can't we take one year at a time. Maybe Luck wouldn't want to sit for 3 years but who says Peyton will be playing for 3 years. We have no idea how long he will feel he can play at the level he would want to be able to play. It's all speculation at this point in time.

I'm am hoping that he can come back next year and I for one feel he will be back and at the same level or better than he was before. I know some are going to jump on this and disagree but that is what the forum is for everyone's opinion whether you agree or not.

With all this Luck talk it seems like they will draft him. Polian has been attending stanford games, Luck said hed be fine with a veteran QB, Polian said that they can afford both QBs, and Luck and Manning have had past ties.

So Im pretty sure that they will draft Luck but why in the world would you trade Manning. I know Manning is hurt but i dont see a logical reason to trade him. If hes healthy then he can lead this team if not then he will most likely retire. And its not like the Favre or Montana situation. Favre had Rodgers for 3 years and Young was with the team and looked promising.

Bottom line if Manning is heathly Keep him.

Logical reasons to trade Manning - not that I want that but if it were to happen, there are some very logical reasons to make that move.

1) 3 neck surgeries in the last 2 years

2) Oppurtunity to get started on the next 12 years of your franchise with the most promising QB prospect since Elway

3) Opportunity to shore up some of the team's weaknesses by gaining more draft picks from a Manning trade

With the circumstances surrounding his physical condition paired with the details of his contract, it is currently impossible to trade him, and considering the only way to make it possible to trade him would be for the Colts & Manning to agree to push back his option bonus date in which there is no valid reason for Manning to do so, because that would only weaken his new team.

He will not be traded.

He might not have his option bonus picked up, thus making him a free agent and he can sign with a new team, but he will not be traded!

You don't trade off a QB that your team is 0-13 without for an unproven QB who hasn't even put on a colts uniform yet let alone taken an nfl snap. just because peyton had a neck surgery doesn't mean hes done. i remember on NFL network they said peyton got this surgery so he could play again. he will be back next year, i can promise you this, if there was a lockout this year none of this would be happening, no body would think anything of this neck surgery. just like no one really thought of it when he got the one earlier in the off season

Why can't we take one year at a time. Maybe Luck wouldn't want to sit for 3 years but who says Peyton will be playing for 3 years. We have no idea how long he will feel he can play at the level he would want to be able to play. It's all speculation at this point in time.

I would also agree with that, the Colts would look like * for passing up on Luck if Manning gets injured again next year. However it might devalue Andrew Luck if we do need to trade him for the future, maybe not.

You don't trade off a QB that your team is 0-13 without for an unproven QB who hasn't even put on a colts uniform yet let alone taken an nfl snap. just because peyton had a neck surgery doesn't mean hes done. i remember on NFL network they said peyton got this surgery so he could play again. he will be back next year, i can promise you this, if there was a lockout this year none of this would be happening, no body would think anything of this neck surgery. just like no one really thought of it when he got the one earlier in the off season

What does the lockout have to do with anything?

It's virtually impossible to trade Manning and benefit the Colts at this point.

People are REALLY missing the mark with their surgery analysis. "3 surgeries for a 35/36 year old QB..." Sounds dismal on paper. The ESPN Radio guys are saying it, which makes it worse.

FACT: Manning was suffering virtually no decline in ability prior to this latest surgery despite being in great pain since late 2006.

FACT: Like the callous which forms on osseous tissue following a break, a successful fusion in this type of recovery usually results in a 110% gain in the joint, nerve, vertebrae, or whatever is being repaired. Manning will likely be better than he was before, and his body has had a year to rest the bumps and bruises to boot. 100% of doctors and analysts have agreed that this is the result of this type of surgery, when the fusion takes. That is what happened: it took.

It's virtually impossible to trade Manning and benefit the Colts at this point.

People are REALLY missing the mark with their surgery analysis. "3 surgeries for a 35/36 year old QB..." Sounds dismal on paper. The ESPN Radio guys are saying it, which makes it worse.

FACT: Manning was suffering virtually no decline in ability prior to this latest surgery despite being in great pain since late 2006.

FACT: Like the callous which forms on osseous tissue following a break, a successful fusion in this type of recovery usually results in a 110% gain in the joint, nerve, vertebrae, or whatever is being repaired. Manning will likely be better than he was before, and his body has had a year to rest the bumps and bruises to boot. 100% of doctors and analysts have agreed that this is the result of this type of surgery, when the fusion takes. That is what happened: it took.

My brother frequents another Colts message board, and he showed me a set of stats that does show a statistical drop off from 2007-2010 when compared to 2002-2005, based on the length of throw. It makes sense, he's been playing hurt since that Redskins game. He's won 2 MVP's, a Super Bowl Title/MVP 75% of the games and multiple division titles since that injury.

One could argue that if the regeneration fully takes that he could come back to be better than he was the past 4 years because he's no longer playing with pain.