Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Nate Orchard -- Pass rusher

Quick notes from watching his two 2014 games on DB:

• Not very strong (which is the case for a ton of edge rushers this year)
  • Gets washed out of run plays
  • Gets redirected too much for my taste
  • Let's RBs get around the edge too much
  • Disappears for stretches (He'll get a sack one play, and doesn't get near the QB for another 9-10)
  • Decent awareness
  • Dives for the ankles on some tackles, causing him to miss (then again, this is a problem for 90% of all players)
  • Great, not elite speed
  • Not many pass-rush moves (it's always either a speed rush or a bull rush; the latter almost always failing miserably)
  • Plays a lot of snaps in a 2-point stance
  • I would say his ability to kick in at DT was a plus.....if he was any good at it
  • Multiple times I saw him beat the OT around the edge, and then try to cut back inside. Why? And these weren't plays where he was going to overrun the QB. 

In my estimation. He's a late 3rd round pick material. Could be a good situational player if he could use his hands better and add some strength. 

I want to see Hardison DT from ASU and Sambrailo OT CSU. I think both would be great additions for us not first round picks but a couple to watch.

I also look for Perryman to put to rest the size issue and solidfy his spot at the end of the first day maybe for the horseshoe. He just makes plays and is already doing it in practice.

The Ute I am most interested in is Eric Rowe CB

I still like Hau'oli Kikaha out of Washington with some coaching to use his hands better, He has a quick but not elite first step, Has to develop some pass rush moves, He will overpursuit once in a while, He has to develop a move to go from the outside to in because right now he only rushes the outside shoulder of the Tackle, I think he is a 2nd round pick who can contribute to the team early and start if needed in the future if Werner don't progress, I also think he can play SAM Backer

I want to see Hardison DT from ASU and Sambrailo OT CSU. I think both would be great additions for us not first round picks but a couple to watch.

I also look for Perryman to put to rest the size issue and solidfy his spot at the end of the first day maybe for the horseshoe. He just makes plays and is already doing it in practice.

The Ute I am most interested in is Eric Rowe CB

?

But what about Nate Orchard?

I still like Hau'oli Kikaha out of Washington with some coaching to use his hands better, He has a quick but not elite first step, Has to develop some pass rush moves, He will overpursuit once in a while, He has to develop a move to go from the outside to in because right now he only rushes the outside shoulder of the Tackle, I think he is a 2nd round pick who can contribute to the team early and start if needed in the future if Werner don't progress, I also think he can play SAM Backer

See previous post.

Quick notes from watching his two 2014 games on DB:

• Not very strong (which is the case for a ton of edge rushers this year)
  • Gets washed out of run plays
  • Gets redirected too much for my taste
  • Let's RBs get around the edge too much
  • Disappears for stretches (He'll get a sack one play, and doesn't get near the QB for another 9-10)
  • Decent awareness
  • Dives for the ankles on some tackles, causing him to miss (then again, this is a problem for 90% of all players)
  • Great, not elite speed
  • Not many pass-rush moves (it's always either a speed rush or a bull rush; the latter almost always failing miserably)
  • Plays a lot of snaps in a 2-point stance
  • I would say his ability to kick in at DT was a plus.....if he was any good at it
  • Multiple times I saw him beat the OT around the edge, and then try to cut back inside. Why? And these weren't plays where he was going to overrun the QB.
In my estimation. He's a late 3rd round pick material. Could be a good situational player if he could use his hands better and add some strength.

I agree he isn't disciplined on the edge, but I think the Utes were playing a lot of scrape/exchange and having him crash to the inside.

He also drew a lot of double teams.

He doesn't have that elite speed, certainly no Jeremiah Attaochu... probably quicker than Newsome though. He also does that inside move like Newsome, which is a plus and a minus. Above average closing speed.

Strength seems sort of here and there. He does get washed out on run plays, but seems to have functional strength to set the edge when he wants. Goes back to discipline.

I saw him drop a couple times, nothing special.

I think he could play Sam and Rush in a reserve role. I don't know how he stacks up in this draft class just yet, but if it were 2014, I'd go with a 3rd round projection also. But I want to see more tape. I also want to see the Senior Bowl.

See previous post.

-Has to continue to gain strength, Can get washed out of running plays to easy

-Solid Awareness but can certainly improve

-Can play either Sam or Rush I believe given reps to adjust

-Quick first step but not elite......Wont strike fear in the better Tackles in the league but I can see it giving middle of the road to bad LT's problems but like I said he has to gain strength so I expect he will be fairly easily neutralized until that happens

probably a late 2nd to 3rd round pick......Not having that elite first step hurts him for me

he's like 26

I think if we're talking pass rusher, it should be from the DE or Sam Backer position. Werner may be a lost cause, but Newsome can be the future. If Orchard can play the run, I'd take him and let him and Werner compete for the Sam position.

If he wins that battle it's perfect because you could also have him as a rush OLB when you need him to be.

I think if we're talking pass rusher, it should be from the DE or Sam Backer position. Werner may be a lost cause, but Newsome can be the future. If Orchard can play the run, I'd take him and let him and Werner compete for the Sam position.

If he wins that battle it's perfect because you could also have him as a rush OLB when you need him to be.

Werner is not a lost cause. He is still a little raw, but he improved dramatically this season in my opinion. He is a solid player.

His ceiling is probably Paul Kruger of Cleveland. I imagine his pass rushing will improve a little more next season, but he will never be more than a 6 or 7 sack per season guy, solid against the run, solid in coverage, dependable, not a guy who will dramatically impact the game.

After watching a little more of Orchard, seeing the Senior Bowl and hearing about how effective he was at the Sam spot, I agree. I don't know if I'd want him in the first, but if he were there at 61, I'd be all for it. He can rotate at both spots, and is probably a better pass rusher than Werner and Walden already.

After watching a little more of Orchard, seeing the Senior Bowl and hearing about how effective he was at the Sam spot, I agree. I don't know if I'd want him in the first, but if he were there at 61, I'd be all for it. He can rotate at both spots, and is probably a better pass rusher than Werner and Walden already.

Yeah, and guys like Mayock were raving about him all week. He got into the backfield a few times during the game. He and Newsome would make a nice pair. It's a perfect way to breed competition and make guys step their game up.

I did see him make a couple plays at the Senior Bowl.

• 4 weeks later...

My feeling on Orchard is he'll generate about the same amount of pass rush as Erik Walden does.

I just didn't get the feeling he would be a big time pass rush threat in the NFL. Maybe decent.

I can see and agree with Supermans projection as a Sam backer for Orchard.

I still think with the right coaching he can be something special. He's probably not any better or worse than Newsome coming out. All the LBs pretty much underwhelmed at the combine so I won't hold it against him. Let the tape speak. At the senior bowl he showed he can be a force in the run game despite getting washed out in run plays in college. Shows he's coachable and is always looking to improve himself.

I think he can come in and compete with Werner for the SAM spot. This is a weak draft though so I don't think any team is going to get exactly what they're looking for unless they're the team that gets Leonard Williams.

He's had 2 ACL surgeries