Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Changing playoff format and adding teams

Nesjan3

I just read an article on NFL.com by Judy Battista who is actually one of the good ones in my opinion cause most of the others are horrible, but she says its likely next season the playoff format is going to change and we will have 1 extra team from each conference making the postseason and only one team from each conference will get a bye. I want to know peoples opinions to me this sounds dumb, I always thought the NFL had the best playoffs out of all sports because its so hard to get in, it makes every regular season game mean so much, and one and done and your out. Now they want to expand it... I think this is dumb move popularity wise but they might do it for the cash side of it. If anything change the format don't add teams plz.

I think its going to be great if they add more teams to the playoffs, the NFL season is already short...and they could definitely extend the playoffs to more teams, it would make things more interesting, that means more money for owners too!

Personally I think they need to make the NFL season 20 weeks. That would be awesome! 

I think its going to be great if they add more teams to the playoffs, the NFL season is already short...and they could definitely extend the playoffs to more teams, it would make things more interesting, that means more money for owners too!

Personally I think they need to make the NFL season 20 weeks. That would be awesome! 

No player in the NFL would agree with you.

20 games is nuts, these teams are injury plagued and worn down as it is including my Colts at 16 games, these guys are super athletes but not invincible...

I just read an article on NFL.com by Judy Battista who is actually one of the good ones in my opinion cause most of the others are horrible, but she says its likely next season the playoff format is going to change and we will have 1 extra team from each conference making the postseason and only one team from each conference will get a bye. I want to know peoples opinions to me this sounds dumb, I always thought the NFL had the best playoffs out of all sports because its so hard to get in, it makes every regular season game mean so much, and one and done and your out. Now they want to expand it... I think this is dumb move popularity wise but they might do it for the cash side of it. If anything change the format don't add teams plz.

I think they should leave it alone. I don't like the idea of just one team getting the bye either. If you are going to expand then go to 8 teams in each conference and no byes.

There's nothing wrong with the current system.  People are just frustrated that an NFC South team this year is hosting a home playoff game is all.  Every few years when a division is bad and gets home field people start getting all emotional acting like the entire NFL needs massive reforms.

What makes the NFL america's #1 sport is partly due to the fast pace of the games, shorter season, more build up with anticipation leading up to games.  The last thing we want to do is have football fatigue like we get from baseball and basketball fatigue.  Football season length is fine.  It lasts 6 months when you factor in the Super Bowl in February.

That's why baseball is struggling, games are too long, the season is too long.

one more wildcard team and one less bye team isn't gong to change much of anything...

..In fact..it will lessen the chance of a 10-6 team not qualifying..//It makes the top seed more valuable.

For instance..Denver and Green bay would not have gotten byes and would have to play the '7' seed this week..right?

..But this isn't a major change..the season remains the same length

People who want to season to be longer...come on, there are other things in life.  Don't be so obsessed over football.  There's basketball, hockey, baseball, soccer, auto racing, golf, tennis, movies, outdoors.  But let's not make the same mistake that MLB and NBA did with baseball and basketball fatigue.

I think they should leave it alone. I don't like the idea of just one team getting the bye either. If you are going to expand then go to 8 teams in each conference and no byes.

I like 2 byes as well...but eventually,,there will be more than 32 teams.. you want byes..other wise teams can lose intentionally to

get favorable matchups..

...I can see a day when, in a 40 or 44-team NFL (we're going to Europe and Mexico, like it or not), there will be 10 playoff teams in

each conference

I like 2 byes as well...but eventually,,there will be more than 32 teams.. you want byes..other wise teams can lose intentionally to

get favorable matchups..

...I can see a day when, in a 40 or 44-team NFL (we're going to Europe and Mexico, like it or not), there will be 10 playoff teams in

each conference

Probably won't happen in the next 25 years.  But just send the Raiders to Mexico or move them to LA where their fan base is.

Probably won't happen in the next 25 years.  But just send the Raiders to Mexico or move them to LA where their fan base is.

But its coming...There could be another Chicago team....2 teams in LA....

...Las Vegas, Salt lake City, Mexico City, Honolulu, Portland, Charlotte, San Antonio, Mississippi, Oregon, Iowa,

...there could be an NFL team in almost every state..look at Division 1 college football

But its coming...There could be another Chicago team....2 teams in LA....

...Las Vegas, Salt lake City, Mexico City, Honolulu, Portland, Charlotte, San Antonio, Mississippi, Oregon, Iowa,

...there could be an NFL team in almost every state..look at Division 1 college football

This is one of the most ridiculous things I've read on here.

Can you prove this?  Or is this all wishful thinking?

Charlotte has a team called the Carolina Panthers.

San Antonio won't fill up a stadium since there's mostly Cowboys and Texans fans there.

lol @ Mississippi.  They can't handle an NFL football team just like Jacksonville can't.  And Jacksonville is the largest city in Florida much larger than anything in Mississippi or Alabama.

Just a couple years ago the Saints almost left New Orleans before they won the super bowl.

Iowa?  Des Moines can't handle an NFL team.  It's not a major market.  Los Angeles is the 2nd largest city in the U.S., 2nd largest media market and largest county and they couldn't handle one team let alone two.  And of all states it's California that tends to be the most against tax payer funded stadiums.  They put up the biggest fight in CA against building new stadiums.  That state is bankrupt.

And all those teams won't work.  It didn't work for the NHL and it doesn't work for the NBA.

They can barely put people in seats in 17,000 seat arenas so they won't be filling up 70,000 seat stadiums.

Now you'll say football is more popular than basketball and hockey.  They can't really fill up the stadiums of the Dolphins, Jags, Bucs, Chargers, Rams.  And if the Panthers and Cardinals have a bad season or two those stadiums will look half empty.  

There will NOT be two teams in Chicago or LA.  There will not be a team in Hawaii because there isn't many people to support an NFL team and because of the travel/flight time.  AFC East and NFC East teams will not be flying to Hawaii during any regular season.  That's a complete competitive disadvantage to east coast teams.  Just like a west coast team flying to London.  lol @ 12 to 16 hour flights.  Sure.  Mind as well fly to Sydney Australia.

What might happen if anything does happen is some teams will move to different cities...

Chargers or Raiders will move to LA. (San Diego and Oakland can't even handle an NFL team).

Bills to Toronto.

Jags to Vegas or Portland Oregon <<<<That's even highly unlikely.

The NFL will be at 33 teams in 15 years with a team in LA.  But you won't see 40 teams in the NFL in the next 40 years.  

And if you try to use Green Bay as an example that team has been established for 100 years since 1919.

But its coming...There could be another Chicago team....2 teams in LA.......Las Vegas, Salt lake City, Mexico City, Honolulu, Portland, Charlotte, San Antonio, Mississippi, Oregon, Iowa,...there could be an NFL team in almost every state..look at Division 1 college football

You have obviously never been to Mississippi.

It's ridiculous to compare college sports to professional sports.  One is total complete business oriented while the other is still partly academic with students and former students loyal to their alma mater.  Ohio State Buckeyes can put 110,000 fans in a stadium.  The Bengals and Browns are almost half empty when they have bad seasons.

And there were so many Bowl Games and so many schools that they finally created a limited playoff system.

You have obviously never been to Mississippi.

You mean the state that had two Two-20 college teams....? That Mississippi?

If folks attend college football, they'll attend pro football..Ohio State wins..if they didn't, they would draw what IU draws..

..and the arguement that the NFL is a complete business..and that's somehow very different from major college football...well..

I'll just let that one sit a while

If folks attend college football, they'll attend pro football..Ohio State wins..if they didn't, they would draw what IU draws..

..and the arguement that the NFL is a complete business..and that's somehow very different from major college football...well..

You shouldn't compare college sports to pro-sports.  One is where someone is loyal to an alma mater where they got their education from where many of these schools were built in the 1800's.  The other is a pure business.

Michigan Wolverines can fill up the Big House with 110,000 fans even when they're not good.

Dolphins, Jags, Bucs, Rams can't fill up their stadiums and they play in major U.S. cities.  And when they held the SB in Jacksonville in 2004 it was pretty bad, the lack of hotels and entertainment for fans was a big concern.

You mean the state that had two Two-20 college teams....? That Mississippi?If folks attend college football, they'll attend pro football..Ohio State wins..if they didn't, they would draw what IU draws....and the arguement that the NFL is a complete business..and that's somehow very different from major college football...well..I'll just let that one sit a while

Oh wow, Mississippi a finally had two pretty good teams this year......They are ripe for an nfl team.

It's ridiculous to compare college sports to professional sports.  One is total complete business oriented while the other is still partly academic with students and former students loyal to their alma mater.  Ohio State Buckeyes can put 110,000 fans in a stadium.  The Bengals and Browns are almost half empty when they have bad seasons.

And there were so many Bowl Games and so many schools that they finally created a limited playoff system.

bullpucky,they are both business's.

most of the guys on the field are there to generate cash and get paid under the table all the time and have never seen a classroom and someone in a office gets 5 million when they go to a bowl game.

bullpucky,they are both business's.

most of the guys on the field are there to generate cash and get paid under the table all the time and have never seen a classroom and someone in a office gets 5 million when they go to a bowl game.

Again...

You shouldn't compare college sports to pro-sports.  One is where someone is loyal to an alma mater where they got their education from where many of these schools were built in the 1800's.  The other is a pure business.

Michigan Wolverines can fill up the Big House with 110,000 fans even when they're not good.

Dolphins, Jags, Bucs, Rams can't fill up their stadiums and they play in major U.S. cities.  And when they held the SB in Jacksonville in 2004 it was pretty bad, the lack of hotels and entertainment for fans was a big concern.

And no one said college sporting events are free.  Of course they charge for tickets.

Again...

And no one said college sporting events are free.  Of course they charge for tickets.

again...

it is a business. Students and alumni don't have crap to do with what happens in the sports programs or how they are run.The major college sports programs are in fact a business.

are you aware of the fact that in all but about 4 States that the highest paid public employees are a football or basketball coach . Even if its a team that gets 4 lousy wins every year. When a guy makes millions as a college football coach,that means its pure business

One team in most states would draw very well..I think Carolina and Tennessee that...Green Bay is Wisconsin's team...

How many states have 2 or more pro teams?

Many don't consider Minneapolis and Jacksonville and

Indianapolis major US cities.. ..IU and Purdue don't..fill the stadium If they were in the Top-10 they'd be sold out.

Its okay not to fill your stadium if you lose a lot. That's incentive to win

...and you're using 1980s thinking. Filling up your stadium doesnt matter in the NFL. Its TV ratings and TV rights...Tv markets

Its how many would watch that matters. No offense but you're arguing against the sun coming up tomorrow. the NFL will greatly expand in the next 10-20 years. The owners tabled expansion for this year but its obviously coming..

Oh wow, Mississippi a finally had two pretty good teams this year......They are ripe for an nfl team.

a winning team? Sure they are. Missisippi has had major college football since before I was born and I'm old.

You don't think they'd go see a pro team on Sunday if they had one?

Nebraska and Iowa and Oklahoma would support an NFL team like Colorado and Tennessee and Kansas do...I think they'd welcome it

One team in most states would draw very well..I think Carolina and Tennessee that...Green Bay is Wisconsin's team...

How many states have 2 or more pro teams?

Many don't consider Minneapolis and Jacksonville and

Indianapolis major US cities.. ..IU and Purdue don't..fill the stadium If they were in the Top-10 they'd be sold out.

Its okay not to fill your stadium if you lose a lot. That's incentive to win

...and you're using 1980s thinking. Filling up your stadium doesnt matter in the NFL. Its TV ratings and TV rights...Tv markets

Its how many would watch that matters. No offense but you're arguing against the sun coming up tomorrow. the NFL will greatly expand in the next 10-20 years. The owners tabled expansion for this year but its obviously coming..

You just made the opposite case of the NFL's official business policy.

In the NFL if a team can't sell around 80% to 85% of their seats it's a blackout and doesn't get put on tv.  Sponsors/corporations won't be spending their money putting up money for teams like the Raiders and Jags.  Also, the lack of corporate sponsors around the Raiders' and Jags' stadium is quite noticeable.

And there will be NO NFL team in London, Mexico City, San Antonio, Salt Lake City, Des Moines, Mississippi in the next 30+ years.

a winning team? Sure they are. Missisippi has had major college football since before I was born and I'm old.You don't think they'd go see a pro team on Sunday if they had one?Nebraska and Iowa and Oklahoma would support an NFL team like Colorado and Tennessee and Kansas do...I think they'd welcome it

You might want to get checked out by a doctor. Not trying to be rude, but Mississipi is about the last place you would want an nfl team.

You might want to get checked out by a doctor. Not trying to be rude, but Mississipi is about the last place you would want an nfl team.

He doesn't understand the tv blackouts the Oakland Raiders face because they can't sell enough tickets.  He doesn't understand the NFL's official blackout rule.

Jacksonville

San Diego

St. Louis

New Orleans

Miami

Cincinnati

All those major U.S. cities are struggling to support NFL teams.  And oldunclemark thinks building a 70,000 seat stadium in the middle of a cow patty field miles from hotels and major airports will be a success.

The Raiders are not winning...that's why they dont draw..Indy sells out every game because they win

You're very young. Oakland used to sell out every game...they were one of the premier NFL franchises..when California had 4

All you have to do is have TV markets ....

The blackout rule is on its way out...maybe by next year. The NFL is expanding, whether you and I like it or not..

Pro sports don't have campuses filled with potential fans

College and pro sports aren't similar. Every kid on campus is a fan.

I'll get that Checkup, B on the T

..but its mostly about TV....what do you have against Mississippi..? They have TV there, right?

We all heard talk about London and San Antonio this year.

Mississippi wouldn't be at the top of the list but that's a legendary college market ...Its football country, as far as I know.

Where the stadium sits and whether its full every week is going to matter less and less as time goes by..

The NFL is a TV show..and every state has all four major free networks and ESPN

And we haven't even discussed a watered-down trash the NFL would likely become, as a result.

watered down rash is an overstament but all 36 or 40 or 44 teams would not be great.

Guys, they're talking about London. The NFL wouldn't put a team in Las Vegas or San Antonio or Lincoln, Nebraska.?

Get ready. Its coming

watered down rash is an overstament but all 36 or 40 or 44 teams would not be great.

Guys, they're talking about London. The NFL wouldn't put a team in Las Vegas or San Antonio or Lincoln, Nebraska.?

Get ready. Its coming

Its not coming any time soon

The Raiders are not winning...that's why they dont draw..Indy sells out every game because they win

You're very young. Oakland used to sell out every game...they were one of the premier NFL franchises..when California had 4

The blackout rule is on its way out...maybe by next year. The NFL is expanding, whether you and I like it or not..

Well for starters, and let's not mince words....that stinking, festering toilet-of-a-city the Raiders play in doesn't help either.

Which begs the question....

If Los Angeles... a fantastic, lucrative TV market can't even get it's act together enough for an NFL team, what makes you think the NFL and all those other cities will be able to rally and coordinate the owner/taxpayer/city hall partnerships necessary?

And let's take a look behind the scenes of Glendale, Arizona's fiscal experience with the Cardinals and that shiny new stadium.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10380643/arizona-cardinals-president-rips-glendale-planning-ahead-super-bowl-xlix

We're not talking about popping open a string of burger joints here, OUM....this stuff is incredibly complicated.

The last thing the NFL should want to do long term is water itself down with very many more teams. I just don't think that so many new fan bases could be cultivated. 

JMO

Just like how there will be teams in Mexico City, London, Singapore, Shanghai, New Delhia, Samson's Mississippi Trailer Park.

I'll get that Checkup, B on the T

..but its mostly about TV....what do you have against Mississippi..? They have TV there, right?

We all heard talk about London and San Antonio this year.

Mississippi wouldn't be at the top of the list but that's a legendary college market ...Its football country, as far as I know.

Where the stadium sits and whether its full every week is going to matter less and less as time goes by..

The NFL is a TV show..and every state has all four major free networks and ESPN

You're so naive and gullible and believe so much you hear and read.

Of course there's always "talk" and "rumors" that the NFL will go here and there.  They been hinting at having a team in LA for 20 years now.

Now of all cities in the U.S. the city which is most likely to have either a current NFL team move there or a new one is either Los Angeles or Toronto.  Heck, the Bills could move to Toronto before LA gets a team.