Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

when does cutler get released and when does Jax Ten or Hou pick him up?

Nesjan3

The reason he won't be released is that (A) he's still got a LOT of guaranteed money due to him,  and (B) he just got a new large contract a year ago which makes his dead cap money to the team a poison pill for them to swallow.

I'm not saying it's 100% certain he'll be with Chicago.....     but let's say over 99% sure....

The reason he won't be released is that (A) he's still got a LOT of guaranteed money due to him,  and (B) he just got a new large contract a year ago which makes his dead cap money to the team a poison pill for them to swallow.

I'm not saying it's 100% certain he'll be with Chicago.....     but let's say over 99% sure....

Sporac shows his cap hit would be $19.5 Mill if released now....     WAY too much for the Bears.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/chicago-bears/jay-cutler/

And if he plays for the Bears next year -- which is highly likely -- then $10 Mill of his 2016 salary gets guaranteed which will raise his 2016 cap hit considerably from a projected 3 Mill.

Jay has at least one more year with the Bears,  and possibly two.

After that,  if nothing changes about him,  THEN it looks like he'd get released in January of 2017.

So,  two more years of Jay with Chicago is probable....

Sporac shows his cap hit would be $19.5 Mill if released now....     WAY too much for the Bears.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/chicago-bears/jay-cutler/

And if he plays for the Bears next year -- which is highly likely -- then $10 Mill of his 2016 salary gets guaranteed which will raise his 2016 cap hit considerably from a projected 3 Mill.

Jay has at least one more year with the Bears,  and possibly two.

After that,  if nothing changes about him,  THEN it looks like he'd get released in January of 2017.

So,  two more years of Jay with Chicago is probable....

One thing you cant say about Cutler is he wasn't dumb about making the money! :thmup:

You cant keep losing with a QB you don't think can win because you don't think you can get anybody else.That's a loser's guarantee..They can go 5-11 without Jay.....But Tennesse's got to take him..and agree to pay him. I would think

During the game yesterday they were talking about tennesse having a serious interest in cutler and that the bears seem willing to take a low to mid round pick for him to unload his contract on another team .

They might try to trade Cutler but there's no way they will release him. Too big a cap hit and there aren't any good quarterbacks out there to replace him with. I doubt they would get more than a lower round pick for him but that might be worth it just to dump his salary. They would still be in quarterback hell but that's better than being in both quarterback hell AND cap hell.

Be honest, who are they going to get to replace him?

That's the biggest problem right there.  

You can only afford to release quarterbacks who outright suck or are backup material at best.  

It's so hard to acquire a decent starting QB that you can't get rid of any so-so QB's because of it.  It's also why even so-so QB's make a ton of money.  

I mean seriously why does Jay Cutler make more money then JJ Watt.  One is a so - so quarterback who doesn't care and the other is literally the greatest defensive lineman to ever play the game. . . 

Because Jay Cutler is a quarterback.  If you release a so so quarterback you are often doomed to 5 years or more of terrible play, 2 and 3 win seasons until you finally hit upon a guy.  

How stupid would Chicago be to release him? Very. You might as well throw the Browns hat into that ring because I would take him over what we have now. 

That's exactly the thing is you can be mediocre with Cutler and maybe hope to be good if you can put a really good team around him. . . Or you can be the Browns, the Bucs, the Raiders, the Jags . . . 

That's exactly the thing is you can be mediocre with Cutler and maybe hope to be good if you can put a really good team around him. . . Or you can be the Browns, the Bucs, the Raiders, the Jags . . . 

The problem is, Cutler eats up a ton of money right now that would make it difficult to really get any talent on that team and keep it...

The only hope in that situation is to draft really well and hope it all gels for the 4 years you get the players at a discounted rate for.

Chicago is not a good football team. Their defense is horrible. The Browns however have a good football team just a dumpster fire at QB. 

The problem is, Cutler eats up a ton of money right now that would make it difficult to really get any talent on that team and keep it...

The only hope in that situation is to draft really well and hope it all gels for the 4 years you get the players at a discounted rate for.

His cap number next year is 16.5 million if he is on the team. That's not a huge number for a starting qb

His cap number next year is 16.5 million if he is on the team. That's not a huge number for a starting qb

This year he was in the top 3 at 18.5 million.

Next year he will be 11th but considering the state of the Bears, it'd be to their benefit to get rid of that enormous contract if they have any plans of truly rebuilding that defense while having Cutler. Especially when you consider that he is NOT the elite QB they are paying him to be.

This year he was in the top 3 at 18.5 million.

Next year he will be 11th but considering the state of the Bears, it'd be to their benefit to get rid of that enormous contract if they have any plans of truly rebuilding that defense while having Cutler. Especially when you consider that he is NOT the elite QB they are paying him to be.

I think if Shanahan comes to Chicago they will keep cutler. Maybe they try to get him to restructure.

I think if Shanahan comes to Chicago they will keep cutler. Maybe they try to get him to restructure.

I agree. Shanahan wants to get back into coaching too.

Honestly though, I would try and make a play for Rex Ryan if I'm the Bears. He'd restore some of that defensive bravado they're accustomed to in Chicago. His personality just seems to fit Chicago too.

Personally, I'd take a year or 2 of being awful and the high draft picks that go with it than several years of being moderately awful with a talented QB that doesn't care and makes too much money.  I release him, take the massive cap hit next year and contend for the #1 pick, and hope to turn it around in 2 years through good drafting.  I don't see any reason to think Clausen would be worse than what they got from Cutler this year.

Personally, I'd take a year or 2 of being awful and the high draft picks that go with it than several years of being moderately awful with a talented QB that doesn't care and makes too much money.  I release him, take the massive cap hit next year and contend for the #1 pick, and hope to turn it around in 2 years through good drafting.  I don't see any reason to think Clausen would be worse than what they got from Cutler this year.

Are you sure it would only be a year or 2.  The a lot of those teams have been awful for decades minus the occasional mediocre season because of their inability to find and obtain a decent starting quarterback.

I mean list the top 32 quarterbacks in the NFL right now, regardless of their position on the depth chart or what team they are playing for.  And realize that at the bottom of that list names like Ryan Fitzpatrick and Matt Cassell are gonna be there.  

There simply arn't enough good quarterbacks to go around.  And you think the Bears will find them in a year or 2?  

Getting one takes a lot of luck.  

Are you sure it would only be a year or 2.  The a lot of those teams have been awful for decades minus the occasional mediocre season because of their inability to find and obtain a decent starting quarterback.

I mean list the top 32 quarterbacks in the NFL right now, regardless of their position on the depth chart or what team they are playing for.  And realize that at the bottom of that list names like Ryan Fitzpatrick and Matt Cassell are gonna be there.  

There simply arn't enough good quarterbacks to go around.  And you think the Bears will find them in a year or 2?  

Find one better than cutler? Yes

That's the biggest problem right there.  

You can only afford to release quarterbacks who outright suck or are backup material at best.  

It's so hard to acquire a decent starting QB that you can't get rid of any so-so QB's because of it.  It's also why even so-so QB's make a ton of money.  

I mean seriously why does Jay Cutler make more money then JJ Watt.  One is a so - so quarterback who doesn't care and the other is literally the greatest defensive lineman to ever play the game. . . 

Because Jay Cutler is a quarterback.  If you release a so so quarterback you are often doomed to 5 years or more of terrible play, 2 and 3 win seasons until you finally hit upon a guy.  

Exactly

I think that's what's going to happen...

....Shanahan wants to coach again and the Bears need a proven coach...with a proven system.

Keeping in mind that the Bears have not had that many coaches, I was shocked to learn that the Chicago Bears have never hired a head coach with NFL head coaching experience.

Never.

True. But think about the logic of concluding that we have to keep a high priced guy we don't think can win for us because we just cant find anybody else.

Eventually,.,.this year or next..they have to try to bring in a prospect or a proven vet.

Nobody ever wins by sticking with a loser because they dont think they can do any better.

You have to try.

True. But think about the logic of concluding that we have to keep a high priced guy we don't think can win for us because we just cant find anybody else.

Eventually,.,.this year or next..they have to try to bring in a prospect or a proven vet.

Nobody ever wins by sticking with a loser because they dont think they can do any better.

You have to try.

Not saying you don't try.  But you don't release Cutler until your sure you've found your man.