Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Grades: Week 15 vs Texans

Superman

B42FnBVCEAAETbv.png

Defense, B: 67 plays, 289 yards, 14 first downs (7 passing, 5 rushing, 2 from penalty), 5/16 on third down, 0/3 on fourth down, 0 red zone visits, 2 turnovers, 3 points; strong performance, never let Houston threaten the end zone

Defensive front: Results were mixed, but mostly positive. There were some weak contains and the tackles got pushed back on some double teams, leading to some big gains for Foster (he always finds a way to hurt our defense), and because both of their backs run hard, there were a lot of 4-6 yarders. But the front mostly flowed well to the ball, and despite some weak tackling, generally held their gains in check. Freeman got turned around on some run plays and wasn't very aware on Fitzgerald's scrambles, but Jackson came downhill pretty well. Landry showed up in run support, too. A decent performance which led to the Texans facing 3rd and long several times. I think Werner was excellent in run defense all game, and because he was so active overall, he got a gift sack and a fumble recovery. Pass rush was spotty, with some edge pressure, but not consistently. Blitzes got ramped up once Savage came in, and they worked well, but there weren't a lot of passing opportunities overall. The linemen got some nice push and penetration, including Kerr, who finally got back on the field. B-, lacked physicality, but still got the job done

Pass defense: Welcome back, Vontae, and nice job putting the game away, but he got outworked on a couple plays. Sergio bailed him out on one, and had a strong game overall, even though his defensive snaps have been reduced. Freeman was solid, as were the other LBs, but Houston didn't really attack the middle of the defense. Everyone was good in the flats. Toler was picked on, and gave up almost half the passing yards, as he was late to react on some targets that came his way. B, nothing to write home about against subpar QBing, but no major flaws, either

Offense, C+: 64 plays, 278 yards, 20 first downs (12 passing, 5 rushing, 3 from penalty), 2/12 on third down, 1/2 in the red zone, 2 turnovers, 17 points (one defensive score allowed); cut the turnovers and defensive scores in half from last week, but had a season low in yards and points, and bombed on third down

QB: Got the pick out of the way nice and early. No pressure, just a bad read between him and Fleener, and he didn't have what he thought he did. Picked it up after that, getting the TD on the board, and doing just enough to get the offense moving. Both TD passes were excellent QBing, with perfectly placed and timed passes. Almost got a lucky third TD, but the penalty nullified it (and there was some question about whether Moncrief got under the ball). I love seeing him hurt defenses with his legs, which lessened some pressure to start that final drive. Couldn't quite make it happen on third down, either. C+, let's tune this puppy up these next two weeks

Backs / receivers / tight ends, B:
Running game: Nice production, although not enough opportunities again. Boom ran hard, especially at the end of the game when he got a chance to work into a rhythm. Richardson was decent, if not spectacular. Still need to have more than 12 carries going into the 4th quarter. The final drive was excellent, up until the last two plays. B

Passing game: Only 18 receptions, but I thought guys got open well. Hilton was getting going, then other guys started getting open. Fleener missed a chance early, but was double covered and getting hit as the ball got there. The deep shot to Moncrief was just missed, but I thought he could have taken a better angle to get under the ball. Reggie sort of bounced back; he was productive, at least. And Nicks had a couple nice catches, including the tough man TD. If Hilton and/or Reggie gets decreased time coming up, he might be able to step in and produce. Richardson got set up poorly on the screen (if that's our idea of a screen play), but then had the 16 yard gain later in the game. B-, some missed connections, but made some nice plays

OL / blocking: For all the craziness leading up to the game, and the weird personnel decision, the line was decent in pass pro. Not great, still gave up some pressures and hits, and there was some sloppy engagement on some stunts. Then, JJ Watt is his own stunt when he wants to be, and ate Cherilus up for a sack. Double teams were frequent, minimizing the damage, and Luck got out and ran a few times, but Louis was okay at RG. Run blocking was mostly positive, and there were some good lines at times. Other times it got a little tight, but the guards fought hard in the run game. Harrison had his best game run blocking in a while. None of the TEs were good run blocking; Allen missing the block on the QB keeper doomed what probably would have been a game-clinching TD, which is the opposite of what you'd expect. Richardson did a good job in pass pro. C+, still too many pressures, but they did just enough to keep Watt from taking over the game

Special teams: AV continues his streak, and has a strong chance at his first perfect season. McAfee bounced back from a rough game, and seemed to put the ball exactly where it needed to be every time he kicked it. Maybe could have put a little more on some of those punts, but the coverage was smothering, with the longest punt return going for just 4 yards. And the work on the 4th down fake was right on, nice job by Andrew Jackson. Cribbs was decent returning, no mistakes for a change. B+

Coaching / playcalling / game management, B-:
Still searching for balance on offense, but at least left a mark at the end of the game. I liked the QB keeper call, it's too bad the point man didn't get the edge sealed. Some nice route combos to work the Texans secondary, also. There's a breakdown on Colts.com of Nicks' TD, which shows a really solid play design. B-

Defense caught a little bit of a break, but Manusky continues to use the blitz well. Good coverage makes it easier for him to do so. He'll have a nice challenge this week. B+

Only game management complaint tracks back to the offensive gameplan, which is about establishing the run (or at least trying to). We were never behind by more than 7 points, but only had 12 carries going into the 4th quarter. Would be nice if Chuck grabbed Pep and asked him to pound it a little more, and I bet he had something to say about the approach on the last drive. Good challenge in the first quarter. B-

Game ball: Boom Herron, when we asked him to perform, he ran the ball five times in a row, getting stronger with each carry: 6 yards, 6 yards, 7 yards, 8 yards, 8 yards... then finally had to come out of the game, but only after running through the teeth of the Texans defense for more than half of his rushing total, carrying defenders on his back, and carrying the team into the red zone for an important score. Not a spectacular game overall, but a really strong finish.

Next up, on the road to take on the suddenly hot Cowboys, who are averaging 39.5 points in their last two games. They haven't played a good defense since they lost to the Cardinals six weeks ago. Can the Colts perform like a good defense this week? A win would be a meaningful victory against a strong opponent for the first time since Week 5 vs the Ravens, and the first time all season on the road, and against a team that is fighting for a chance to make the playoffs for the first time since 2009. Would also be the Colts first win against the Cowboys since 2002. The win has little bearing on standings, but the team needs to show well in a game like this in late December.

GO COLTS!!!

Nice write up.  I just wanted to comment about the end of the game when Boom ran the ball down their throats.  He was probably gassed when they took him out.  But during the time out, he ran back on the field. They waved him off and kept TRich in.

I'm not trying to be a Buckeye homer, or rag on Trent, he also looked good on his run.  As a Monday morning QB, my only complaint about that drive was that they tried to get cute with the QB run at the end.  They were powering the ball down the field, another first down run would definitely have broken the Texan's spirit (if they had any by then).

Great write up, my only problem with it was the statement of getting the INT out of the way early.  I'm not going to take it too seriously, but that is actually a huge problem.  It happens way too often, and will bite us against Dallas or any other good teams in the playoffs.  Remember NE in the playoffs (I think)?  Wasn't it the first play of the game Luck threw a pick6?  We hung around most of the game, but that was huge considering Pats pulled away in the 4th.  For how bad we played it was still close through 3.  That 1 play I feel set the tone and immediately put us behind.  Those are the type of mistakes that will hinder a team right off the bat, and sometimes can be the difference of winning and losing!

Nice write up. I just wanted to comment about the end of the game when Boom ran the ball down their throats. He was probably gassed when they took him out. But during the time out, he ran back on the field. They waved him off and kept TRich in.

I'm not trying to be a Buckeye homer, or rag on Trent, he also looked good on his run. As a Monday morning QB, my only complaint about that drive was that they tried to get cute with the QB run at the end. They were powering the ball down the field, another first down run would definitely have broken the Texan's spirit (if they had any by then).

I get what you're saying about that play call. I liked it, thought it was well designed and should have been an easy first down, if not a touchdown. The missed block really messed it up.

Also, I think Boom needed a rest. He worked his butt off, but he really labored on those last two carries. I'm sure he was eager to get back in, but I think holding him out was the right thing.

Great write up, my only problem with it was the statement of getting the INT out of the way early. I'm not going to take it too seriously, but that is actually a huge problem. It happens way too often, and will bite us against Dallas or any other good teams in the playoffs. Remember NE in the playoffs (I think)? Wasn't it the first play of the game Luck threw a pick6? We hung around most of the game, but that was huge considering Pats pulled away in the 4th. For how bad we played it was still close through 3. That 1 play I feel set the tone and immediately put us behind. Those are the type of mistakes that will hinder a team right off the bat, and sometimes can be the difference of winning and losing!

I was being sarcastic. I agree, the turnovers are problematic. But going from four to two is progress, right?

Nice write up. I just wanted to comment about the end of the game when Boom ran the ball down their throats. He was probably gassed when they took him out. But during the time out, he ran back on the field. They waved him off and kept TRich in.

I'm not trying to be a Buckeye homer, or rag on Trent, he also looked good on his run. As a Monday morning QB, my only complaint about that drive was that they tried to get cute with the QB run at the end. They were powering the ball down the field, another first down run would definitely have broken the Texan's spirit (if they had any by then).

Tweet from Ben Gundy about the bootleg:

@NateDunlevy RT @BenGundy: Final bootleg failed due to rare miss by Allen. W/safety's eyes on Trent, Luck likely gets it otherwise. #Colts http://t.co/E…

Link to Tweet: https://twitter.com/NateDunlevy/status/545302939943055360

@NateDunlevy RT @BenGundy: Final bootleg failed due to rare miss by Allen. W/safety's eyes on Trent, Luck likely gets it otherwise. #Colts http://t.co/E…

Yeah, I realize that it was a blown block.  I still wish they would have powered it in.  Even with a QB sneak up the middle.  It's a chance to show your dominance on the line.  It was 3rd and 1, so it didn't really matter if we got stuffed.

I know the Texans were going to key on TRich, so it was probably the right play.

Yeah, I realize that it was a blown block.  I still wish they would have powered it in.  Even with a QB sneak up the middle.  It's a chance to show your dominance on the line.  It was 3rd and 1, so it didn't really matter if we got stuffed.

I know the Texans were going to key on TRich, so it was probably the right play.

I really don't think the coaching staff has much confidence in the interior line during crunch time.  Ive saw multiple plays where they still pass on 3rd and short.  Some of it has to do with Trent's average also, but they realize on those types of situations he is going to get stuffed behind the line more often than none.  I'm glad Pep has finally realized that because Trent had a lot of those last year, and the line was worse then.

If the Colts did hand off there do you think Trent would have got it?  Or any RB for that matter?  I don't believe it would've made a difference.  Allen obviously whiffed on his side, but the right side appears to be pushed back a couple yards with a lingering Saftey behind the pack, and another defender sealing the edge, all while there is a Colt laying on his back with a Texan on top.  Plays like this (If they would've given it to Trent) are a big reason for Trent's poor average (mostly from last year).  Obvious running situations and poor blocking.  I think Pep has been doing a lot better job calling plays from last season from those types of situations.  I like the play call but unfortunately it was poorly executed.

I know 1 play can't speak for all, but it seems to happen a heck of a lot more than it should.  You see Green Bay or Pittsburg run the football and its all forward blocking moving the defense backwards.  Colts solid blocking consists of opening a hole the size of what you see up the middle there, but w/o any good angles.  That's why I feel Trent struggles alot more than Boom or Ahmad did, because they do have the speed to bounce it outside and make the slower defenders chase them.  Also Castonzo, Cherilus, and Allen, are probably our best blockers, while Mewhort, Harrison, and (whoever our other G is any particular game) is the most inexperienced.

My philosophy is that the right play is the play that works. I just think they saw an opportunity to gut the Texans and put the game away, so they designed a bootleg that was contingent on their best blocking TE to seal the edge, and he didn't. ::shrugs::

[polianvoice] It's like Marv Levy used to say: If what you did didn't work, then you should have done the other thing. [/polianvoice]

Running it up the middle again was the no frills, assert your will option. Would have been nice, assuming it worked. 

If the Colts did hand off there do you think Trent would have got it?  Or any RB for that matter?  I don't believe it would've made a difference.  Allen obviously whiffed on his side, but the right side appears to be pushed back a couple yards with a lingering Saftey behind the pack, and another defender sealing the edge, all while there is a Colt laying on his back with a Texan on top.  Plays like this (If they would've given it to Trent) are a big reason for Trent's poor average (mostly from last year).  Obvious running situations and poor blocking.  I think Pep has been doing a lot better job calling plays from last season from those types of situations.  I like the play call but unfortunately it was poorly executed.

I know 1 play can't speak for all, but it seems to happen a heck of a lot more than it should.  You see Green Bay or Pittsburg run the football and its all forward blocking moving the defense backwards.  Colts solid blocking consists of opening a hole the size of what you see up the middle there, but w/o any good angles.  That's why I feel Trent struggles alot more than Boom or Ahmad did, because they do have the speed to bounce it outside and make the slower defenders chase them.  Also Castonzo, Cherilus, and Allen, are probably our best blockers, while Mewhort, Harrison, and (whoever our other G is any particular game) is the most inexperienced.

The Texans front boned up on the previous play, winning pretty much across the line. Some will automatically blame Trent, but realistically, the line just got washed out and no one would have done anything on that play without a superhuman effort.

So after seeing that, I get the bootleg, and it worked, aside from one blown assignment. Maybe an inside or off tackle run could have worked, because they had worked that entire drive, save for one play. Before that, it was 6 carries for 44 yards, sealing off JJ Watt and getting a first down every other play. Six dominant plays, IMO. Another crack at it might have worked...

I still question some of Peps blocking assignments he draws up......10:20 1st Quarter for example vs Texans, run play where Richardson cut back.....Cobys apparent assignment on that play was to block JJ Watt. I cant figure out for the life of me why Pep is having Coby doing any kind of blocking period, We got 6 yards out of that run because Cherilus pinned his man really well however

I still question some of Peps blocking assignments he draws up......10:20 1st Quarter for example vs Texans, run play where Richardson cut back.....Cobys apparent assignment on that play was to block JJ Watt. I cant figure out for the life of me why Pep is having Coby doing any kind of blocking period, We got 6 yards out of that run because Cherilus pinned his man really well however

Fleener has been blocking pretty well lately. I'll try to look at that play later though, because I don't remember it off the top of my head.