Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Great Run BY Herron

dw49

I don't know why anyone would be tired of the staff using multiple backs.

I think many (most? more than 50%) teams do.    It's not like 30 teams use one back and the Colts are one of two teams that use multiple....

I've got no problem with that aspect of our offense.

Many Backs cant get into the flow of the game and get a feel for how the defense is playing them if they are brought in for 2-3 at a time and subbed out....especially when those are not run plays for them(Im not saying that's the case with Richardson and Herron or was with Bradshaw), Bradshaws last game was NE...He finished at that point with 90 carries on the season......

At that time Richardson had 114 carries on the season... a difference of only 24 carries.......Bradshaw averaged 9 carries per game through 10 games...Richardson averaged 12.....That seems to close to me....Why not make it 15 to 6...15 carries over the course of 16 weeks is 240 carries a game....

BAH! Im just rattling on about our lack of a run game, Nevermind :funny:

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Many Backs cant get into the flow of the game and get a feel for how the defense is playing them if they are brought in for 2-3 at a time and subbed out....especially when those are not run plays for them(Im not saying that's the case with Richardson and Herron or was with Bradshaw), Bradshaws last game was NE...He finished at that point with 90 carries on the season......

At that time Richardson had 114 carries on the season... a difference of only 24 carries.......Bradshaw averaged 9 carries per game through 10 games...Richardson averaged 12.....That seems to close to me....Why not make it 15 to 6...15 carries over the course of 16 weeks is 240 carries a game....

BAH! Im just rattling on about our lack of a run game, Nevermind :funny:

I think the reason you didn't see more carries for Bradshaw is he's injury prone.

In less carries and touches,  he suffered another season ending injury.    The guy just can't help it.   He gets hurt more often than most.     Believe me, I'm sorry to say this because he's become one of my favorites.    I had no idea he was this good when he was with the NYG.    He's terrific.  

I understand the concept of more carries gives backs a better feel for things,  but it's a double-edged sword.   On the one hand, more carries is good for backs -- it gives them a better feel for the OL and for how the defenses are playing.    But on the other hand,  more carries increases the odds of getting hurt.

Darned if you do,  darned if you don't.    What can I tell you?

We are not paying Lynch just not happening to many good backs coming out to over pay a vet

Not even backs who are "coming out" (by which I assume you mean from college?)

You dont even have to draft a back these days. They are a dime a dozen. Boom being a prime example, we took him from someones practice squad and he is kicking butt and taking names. So long as your line play is good and you have a bit of an eye for downhill runners, you can get by without even drafting or buying a vet in at RB. Maybe keep an older vet or two on the squad who have the experience to pass on and teach the young guys, but certainly dont overpay anyone.

It started as more of an observation.

That may be so but to dwell on it over and over does get old. There are positive things also with the Colts. There are a few posters who have nothing but negative comments to make. There is no perfect team in the NFL. If that was the case where are any teams with zero losses?