Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is grass fields the Patriots kryptonite?

sportsworld33

Correction:  The Patriots are 1-6 on grass the last 2 seasons.

And the Pats never flew home after the Packers game.  They flew right out to San Diego the next day.  Which I think is a good idea.  Practice all week in warm weather on grass and remove the extra flight across country.

The Pats kryptonite is the playoffs...when teams make Brady throw those bad passes down the field that he under throws and over throws. Blame it on "he don't have weapons like Peyton!" but you know that's the case. When he had a bad game some months back, no one was saying what they are saying now, and you all know it.

Oh and when Darrell Revis and the rest of that secondary get burned by receivers and gives up huge plays. 

This happens (almost) every time they play a team that isn't a cup cake and rolls over and lets them beat the snot out of them all day.

The Pats kryptonite is the playoffs...when teams make Brady throw those bad passes down the field that he under throws and over throws. Blame it on "he don't have weapons like Peyton!" but you know that's the case. When he had a bad game some months back, no one was saying what they are saying now, and you all know it.

Oh and when Darrell Revis and the rest of that secondary get burned by receivers and gives up huge plays. 

This happens (almost) every time they play a team that isn't a cup cake and rolls over and lets them beat the snot out of them all day.

You just described every NFL team that has lost in the post season.  Their QB plays below average and their D gives up plays.  

Which teams did the Pats destroy were cupcakes?  They crushed the Bengals, Broncos, Bears, Colts, Lions and almost beat the Packers at GB.

There are so few grass fields left but Lambeau was in great shape for the game given it was end of Nov. The bigger issue for the Pats was Rodgers and a game plan that did not include much running for some reason despite the Pack being ranked 30th against the run.

They gave the ball to Brady more, how can that go wrong?.

The Pats kryptonite is the playoffs...

An interesting statement seeing as how they've played in the last three conference championship games. In case you forgot (understandable since it's been a few years since NO has been in one), you have to actually win at least one (divisional round, if you get a bye) game before you get to that one.  ;)

There are so few grass fields left but Lambeau was in great shape for the game given it was end of Nov. The bigger issue for the Pats was Rodgers and a game plan that did not include much running for some reason despite the Pack being ranked 30th against the run.

The majority of teams in the NFL still play on grass...

Teams that play on grass...

49ers

Raiders

Chargers

Cardinals

Broncos

Chiefs

Packers

Bears

Browns

Bengals

Titans

Texans

Steelers

Eagles

Redskins

Panthers

Jaguars

Bucs

Dolphins

Turf...

Patriots

Bills

Jets

Giants

Ravens

Falcons

Saints

Lions

Vikings

Colts

Rams

Cowboys

Seahawks

The majority of teams in the NFL still play on grass...

Teams that play on grass...

49ers

Raiders

Chargers

Cardinals

Broncos

Chiefs

Packers

Bears

Browns

Bengals

Titans

Texans

Steelers

Eagles

Redskins

Panthers

Jaguars

Bucs

Dolphins

Turf...

Patriots

Bills

Jets

Giants

Ravens

Falcons

Saints

Lions

Vikings

Colts

Rams

Cowboys

Seahawks

Wow. I thought most had converted to the turf that the Pats play on. Thanks for the list. Had no idea there were that many left.

It's a meanings stat in a 2 year timeframe--cute but..........

This.

The field had nothing to do with losing in Green Bay. 

The six losses must be as follows:

@ Carolina

@ Miami

@ Denver (playoffs)

@ Miami (again)

@ KC

@ GB

GB and Denver's fields (I learned this morning) have a combination, hybrid-type surface. Artificial fibers interspersed with natural grass. 

If the Patriots were inexplicably losing games to inferior teams on grass surfaces, this might have legs. But two of the losses were against a divisional opponent in Miami who always plays you tough; one was against a strong Carolina team last year; one was a playoff game lost to the AFC Champion; one was this season's beat-down in KC; and finally Sunday's loss in GB.

Wow. I thought most had converted to the turf that the Pats play on. Thanks for the list. Had no idea there were that many left.

It probably looks like turf when watching on tv.  The grass fields that the Dolphins, Panthers, and Chargers play on is Bermuda grass and is cut so low and compact it looks like turf.  They cut that grass so it looks like a putting green on a golf course.

The northern teams where the grass looks sloppy is kentucky blue grass.

Most outdoor stadiums if they designed them right have a crown in the center of the field that you can't see, but it's just enough of a crown so the water runs off to the sides.

The Miami Dolphins have a sophisticated drainage system under their field that can keep their field pretty dry even during a hurricane.

Revis kept the Pats in the game.

He is the real deal. How he shadows a WR is mind blowing.

Revis was great. I thought the whole secondary played out of its mind. It was the front that was the issue. Just no pressure. Jones had practiced all week but was not activated. The key was to be able to get pressure on Rodgers with just 4 and we could not do that consistently and even then our secondary held them to just 3 points in the second half. The O was just too inconsistent all game. We needed to run more. Having Brady drop back against that front was just not the way to play that game I think. I wish we had let Blount and Gray run more and did some more creative runs vs just running up the gut.

I am not so sure on that statement anymore. The outside wideouts for the Broncos - DT and Sanders are probably better as a collective group than Lafell and Edelman (when he plays outside).

However, Gronk >>>> Julius Thomas, Edelman >> Welker in the slot and their run game, before C.J.Anderson was better than that of the Broncos as well.

Plus, the Patriots secondary is better than the Broncos secondary.

To be honest, it is Brady and the Patriots that cannot make excuses this year, IMO. The AFC is theirs to take.

I am not so sure on that statement anymore. The outside wideouts for the Broncos - DT and Sanders are probably better as a collective group than Lafell and Edelman (when he plays outside).

However, Gronk >>>> Julius Thomas, Edelman >> Welker in the slot and their run game, before C.J.Anderson was better than that of the Broncos as well.

Plus, the Patriots secondary is better than the Broncos secondary.

To be honest, it is Brady and the Patriots that cannot make excuses this year, IMO. The AFC is theirs to take.

Amazing, isn't it? They are the better team. And just two months ago Dilfer said the Patriots simply aren't good anymore and that Kraft does not attack the Super Bowl, citing Denver as a team that does.

Revis was great. I thought the whole secondary played out of its mind. It was the front that was the issue. Just no pressure. Jones had practiced all week but was not activated. The key was to be able to get pressure on Rodgers with just 4 and we could not do that consistently and even then our secondary held them to just 3 points in the second half. The O was just too inconsistent all game. We needed to run more. Having Brady drop back against that front was just not the way to play that game I think. I wish we had let Blount and Gray run more and did some more creative runs vs just running up the gut.

That was not the game plan.  Not according to former Patriots' players like Troy Brown.

The game plan for the D-line was to contain Rodgers and not open up lanes for him to run through.  They didn't rush him on purpose.  And Rodgers said himself that the Pats' D-line was coordinated to do that.

Also, as of now the Pats don't have the system, talent and players in place to use a 4-3 speed rush D.  Wilfork is a 3-4 nose tackle and can't rush a QB, he's there to stop the run.  He use to be the big bully in the middle, and now he's being pushed around and knocked on the ground.  He's become a liability and I hope the Pats move on from him after the season and draft D-Linemen in next years draft and go to a true legit 4-3 speed rush pressure D like what the Seahawks have.

(Now everyone watch, Pats fans will go nuts after I criticized Wilfork as they still think the guy is an unstoppable dominant unmovable juggernaut force to the reckoned with for the next 10 years till he's 43.)

That was not the game plan.  Not according to former Patriots' players like Troy Brown.

The game plan for the D-line was to contain Rodgers and not open up lanes for him to run through.  They didn't rush him on purpose.  And Rodgers said himself that the Pats' D-line was coordinated to do that.

Also, as of now the Pats don't have the system, talent and players in place to use a 4-3 speed rush D.  Wilfork is a 3-4 nose tackle and can't rush a QB, he's there to stop the run.  He use to be the big bully in the middle, and now he's being pushed around and knocked on the ground.  He's become a liability and I hope the Pats move on from him after the season and draft D-Linemen in next years draft and go to a true legit 4-3 speed rush pressure D like what the Seahawks have.

(Now everyone watch, Pats fans will go nuts after I criticized Wilfork as they still think the guy is an unstoppable dominant unmovable juggernaut force to the reckoned with for the next 10 years till he's 43.)

The plan is always to pressure the QB. The issue for the Pats is they didn't have their BEST pass rusher in Jones so they were forced to cover more and stay in lanes to contain Rodgers.

They don't need to go to a 4-3 speed rush once Jones is back as he will provide the push.

In terms of Wilfork, how many NTs are speed rushers? He takes up two bodies to block him so he is doing his job in the middle allowing the outside guys to rush. And I would much rather have the big man in the middle vs the run as if you can't stop the run, you are done in the pass game anyways.

The plan is always to pressure the QB. The issue for the Pats is they didn't have their BEST pass rusher in Jones so they were forced to cover more and stay in lanes to contain Rodgers.

They don't need to go to a 4-3 speed rush once Jones is back as he will provide the push.

In terms of Wilfork, how many NTs are speed rushers? He takes up two bodies to block him so he is doing his job in the middle allowing the outside guys to rush. And I would much rather have the big man in the middle vs the run as if you can't stop the run, you are done in the pass game anyways.

The plan wasn't to pressure the QB.  Not according to former Patriots players like Troy Brown or even Rodgers himself who witnessed it himself.

Jones will do much better in a true 4-3 since he's a true 4-3 DE edge rusher.  He's not an outside LB like Seymour.  Jones in a 3-4 scheme is used as an OLB.

With regards to what you posted about Wilfork, that's about the past, he was great 4 years ago.  Not anymore.  He's lost two steps.

And I rather have younger taller faster DT's in the middle instead of an aging slow NT.  And the best defenses this year at stopping the run AND sacking the QB are 4-3 D's like the Seahawks.

The plan wasn't to pressure the QB.  Not according to former Patriots players like Troy Brown or even Rodgers himself who witnessed it himself.

Jones will do much better in a true 4-3 since he's a true 4-3 DE edge rusher.  He's not an outside LB like Seymour.  Jones in a 3-4 scheme is used as an OLB.

With regards to what you posted about Wilfork, that's about the past, he was great 4 years ago.  Not anymore.  He's lost two steps.

And I rather have younger taller faster DT's in the middle instead of an aging slow NT.  And the best defenses this year at stopping the run AND sacking the QB are 4-3 D's like the Seahawks.

Jones is doing just fine in the Patriots scheme. lol.

I am not sure what to tell you. The Patriots are not the Seahawks. They play team defense that has many looks and disguises to it to confuse QBs. They did a great job all things considered vs Rodgers holding him to just 3 points in the second half without their best pass rusher.

Jones is doing just fine in the Patriots scheme. lol.

I am not sure what to tell you. The Patriots are not the Seahawks. They play team defense that has many looks and disguises to it to confuse QBs. They did a great job all things considered vs Rodgers holding him to just 3 points in the second half without their best pass rusher.

Let's hope Jones hasn't lost a step due to his injury and doesn't lose any of his explosiveness.

"Patriots play team defense" ?  Well so do the Seahawks and every other team.  It's just the Seahawks actually have an actual legit pass rush to pressure the QB and don't have to rely on all sorts of schemes and zones often to make up for a lack of pass rush.

Let's also hope that the Patriots' "bend but don't break" scheme doesn't break down like it has in every post season since 2005.

Let's hope Jones hasn't lost a step due to his injury and doesn't lose any of his explosiveness.

"Patriots play team defense" ?  Well so do the Seahawks and every other team.  It's just the Seahawks actually have an actual legit pass rush to pressure the QB and don't have to rely on all sorts of schemes and zones often to make up for a lack of pass rush.

Let's also hope that the Patriots' "bend but don't break" scheme doesn't break down like it has in every post season since 2005.

Could you be anymore negative dude? Are you really "hoping" about Jones? I think not.

I am fine with the Pats defense this year. It is plenty good enough to make a championship run. And I will take Brady and our offense any day over Seattle's. And Bill over Pete the Poodle.

Could you be anymore negative dude? Are you really "hoping" about Jones? I think not.

I am fine with the Pats defense this year. It is plenty good enough to make a championship run. And I will take Brady and our offense any day over Seattle's. And Bill over Pete the Poodle.

I posted a comment in the Pats/GB thread here that explains it.

you've gotta dig deep for a negative Patriots stat. They beat GB running away in the SB regardless of the surface and I believe AZ is real grass that slides out of the dome for so sunshine. That game was very intellectual with adjustments and counter adjustments with all stopped pulled and the playbooks emptied. BB loved it and is looking forward to the SB meeting. Only an act of god (injuries) is going to stop that from happening. 

you've gotta dig deep for a negative Patriots stat. They beat GB running away in the SB regardless of the surface and I believe AZ is real grass that slides out of the dome for so sunshine. That game was very intellectual with adjustments and counter adjustments with all stopped pulled and the playbooks emptied. BB loved it and is looking forward to the SB meeting. Only an act of god (injuries) is going to stop that from happening.

You dug even deeper with that last statement man :-|

How do you know this?  That's just an assumption on your part.

I believe the Pats' defensive game plan was as good an execution as you can get against GB in GB to hold the Packers to 26 points and only 3 points in the 2nd half.  Most of the game the coverage was pretty tight.  The Pats problem as of now is their D-Line.

Their offensive game plan I thought was too conservative and left a lot off the field.

1.)  They used Bolden instead of Blount or Gray in some running situations.

2.)  They abandoned the run game and didn't stay committed to it.

3.)  Where was Wright?

4.)  Where was Tyms?

5.)  Why put Dobson out there instead of Tyms at WR?

And once Edelman had to leave the game for a few snaps with an injury and put Dobson in the game and he leaves with an injury it showed how thin at WR the Pats are.

"IF" the Pats truly wanted to throw everything they had at the Packers on offense, they would have had Blount and Gray both in and out of the game taking turns pounding the ball.  They'd have Wright at TE opposite of Gronk and get Wright in the game.  They'd have Tyms going down field.  It just seemed there were missing pieces on offense that were kept out of the game.