Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Arizona can open up 3 game lead with win today

MJD42

Even his starting QB was a "scrub" tossed around that nobody wanted his second is the same

Palmer was an elite QB that got hurt badly in playoffs early in his career.  Then Bengals exploded as they can only do.  So yes, he and Stanton were back burner items.  But Arians is the QB whisperer (as someone on here called him) and likes to play the way QB's like to play- vertical passing! 

“We never, ever want to pass on the home run to complete a short fade,”  Arians has said. He's said same thing in different ways too, but it all all means the same.  Read this Peter King MMQB article and see why people loved him.  Even big Ben after Arians contract was not renewed.

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/11/05/nfl-bruce-arians-arizona-cardinals-interview/

:spit: Palmer was serviceable much like Dalton is in Cincy

Yes, from 2008 on when his injuries caught up to him he was just serviceable.  But from 2005-2007 he was an elite QB.  Here's but one site that agrees-

"Era 1 ended after the 2007 season.  Palmer established himself as an elite quarterback from 2005-2007, behind only Brady and Manning.  He was as good as there was in terms of standing tall under pressure and delivering downfield strikes."  Support there to back it up too.

http://forums.colts.com/topic/32865-arizona-can-open-up-3-game-lead-with-win-today/#entry939300

When healthy, Palmer is a dangerous QB. especially under Arians.  But he is older and staying healthy is difficult.

Yes, from 2008 on when his injuries caught up to him he was just serviceable.  But from 2005-2007 he was an elite QB.  Here's but one site that agrees-

"Era 1 ended after the 2007 season.  Palmer established himself as an elite quarterback from 2005-2007, behind only Brady and Manning.  He was as good as there was in terms of standing tall under pressure and delivering downfield strikes."  Support there to back it up too.

http://forums.colts.com/topic/32865-arizona-can-open-up-3-game-lead-with-win-today/#entry939300

When healthy, Palmer is a dangerous QB. especially under Arians.  But he is older and staying healthy is difficult.

Dalton has put very similar stats is he elite ?

OK started looking at stats-  any of these 4 guys below elite?

Palmer_3yrs_elite_zpsbed544b0.png

dd

P_Manning_3yrs_zps04fbab5e.png

dd

t_Bradystats3yrs_zps4dd289c8.png

dd

A_Dalton_3yrs_zps3f48ef72.png

There's more to it than just these numbers.  There are many in the HOF, even from fairly recently, that don't come close to these numbers.

Numbers alone don't make QB's elite . Winning big games comebacks doing all the little things making big plays when needed things elite QB's do . What has Palmer been in 2 playoff games

k Year G# Date Age Tm   Opp Result GS Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD Int Rate Y/A AY/A Att Yds Y/A TD 1 2005 17 2006-01-08 26-012 CIN   PIT L 17-31 * 1 1 100.00 66 0 0 118.7 66.00 66.00 0 0   0     Passing Rushing Rk Year G# Date Age Tm   Opp Result GS Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD Int Rate Y/A AY/A Att Yds Y/A TD 2 2009 17 2010-01-09 30-013 CIN   NYJ L 14-24 * 18 36 50.00 146 1 1 58.3 4.06 3.36 1 2 2.00 0       2 Games         0-2-0   19 37 51.35 212 1 1 66.5 5.73 5.05 1 2 2.00 0

I'm not that excited about anyone in the NFC.

Same. I would love to get more excited about the Packers but sometimes I feel like I have seen this movie before too with them. And they did get creamed weeks ago in NO so........

I almost feel anyone can beat anyone in the NFC this year. Nobody stands out to me.

Seattle I think still makes the playoffs though by years end and won't go down easy. But, they better shape up fast.....

Numbers alone don't make QB's elite . Winning big games comebacks doing all the little things making big plays when needed things elite QB's do . What has Palmer been in 2 playoff games

k Year G# Date Age Tm   Opp Result GS Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD Int Rate Y/A AY/A Att Yds Y/A TD 1 2005 17 2006-01-08 26-012 CIN   PIT L 17-31 * 1 1 100.00 66 0 0 118.7 66.00 66.00 0 0   0     Passing Rushing Rk Year G# Date Age Tm   Opp Result GS Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD Int Rate Y/A AY/A Att Yds Y/A TD 2 2009 17 2010-01-09 30-013 CIN   NYJ L 14-24 * 18 36 50.00 146 1 1 58.3 4.06 3.36 1 2 2.00 0       2 Games         0-2-0   19 37 51.35 212 1 1 66.5 5.73 5.05 1 2 2.00 0

I agree, stats alone can't tell you.  You can't use playoffs either because Palmer only had one play in 2005 and by 2009 and 2001 he was no longer elite as injury had taken it's toll.

In 2005, (Jan 2006 playoff) Palmer completed the first play, a 66 pass reception.  He was tackled low on that and blew out his ACL and MCL.  Can't hang that loss on him.  By 2009 and 2011, Palmer had been injury riddled and was then just above serviceable.  But in 2005-2007 he was only behind Brady and Manning in elite-ness.  So maybe we can judge on his Pro Bowls in 2005-2006.  And Chad Johnson was probowl 2005, 2006, and 2007.  TJ Houshmandzadeh made it in 2007 with Chad Johnson.  Palmer got them both in that year.  And equaled his previous years, but there were awesome QB performances that year including big Ben (beat out Palmer).  How many probowl selections does Dalton have?  When Palmer was getting pro bowl nominations, he was indeed considered an elite QB in the league.

I agree, stats alone can't tell you.  You can't use playoffs either because Palmer only had one play in 2005 and by 2009 and 2001 he was no longer elite as injury had taken it's toll.

In 2005, (Jan 2006 playoff) Palmer completed the first play, a 66 pass reception.  He was tackled low on that and blew out his ACL and MCL.  Can't hang that loss on him.  By 2009 and 2011, Palmer had been injury riddled and was then just above serviceable.  But in 2005-2007 he was only behind Brady and Manning in elite-ness.  So maybe we can judge on his Pro Bowls in 2005-2006.  And Chad Johnson was probowl 2005, 2006, and 2007.  TJ Houshmandzadeh made it in 2007 with Chad Johnson.  Palmer got them both in that year.  And equaled his previous years, but there were awesome QB performances that year including big Ben (beat out Palmer).  How many probowl selections does Dalton have?  When Palmer was getting pro bowl nominations, he was indeed considered an elite QB in the league.

The Batman and Robin years my knock on Palmer was he just made bonehead plays when it mattered he didn't have that winning gene I don't care about pro bowls many of the best players get snubbed while ones not deserving get in  . He did have a few good years but I will never look at him as Elite so agree to disagree

But I think Seattle's going to beat Arizona twice....You can only go so far without a QB

Arians will find a way with that defense to split with Seattle. Did you see them stuff the Lions for 6 points with Calvin Johnson and Golden Tate healthy?

The worst they will go is 2-2 winning both home games vs 49ers and Seahawks.

The Cards still have obvious issues.

They have been having trouble running the ball for weeks now, and Stanton is just good enough to move the chains.

Defense had problems weeks ago against the pass.

They could easily go 15-1, or 14-2, or 13-3, first round in the playoffs and lose, ala 2013 Panthers, 2012 Broncos, 2011 Packers.

Arians will find a way with that defense to split with Seattle. Did you see them stuff the Lions for 6 points with Calvin Johnson and Golden Tate healthy?

The worst they will go is 2-2 winning both home games vs 49ers and Seahawks.

The terribly bad Panthers defense held Detroit to just 7 points.

It's not impossible to shut them down.