Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is Addai Done In Indy?

SubZero

I love Addai but I think you are correct. Most backs are at their best for only 3-5 years and with all the recent injuries I think ole Father time is catching up to number 29. Brown is the starter now with Carter as his backup. We do need to get a third option...a nice scat back...ala Darren Sproles would be nice.

Assuming he is fully recovered, I don't have a problem with keeping him around, but I do have confidence in Brown/Carter/who ever.

Where I think he would be valuable is if we end up starting a rookie like Luck. Having a guy like Addai who can pick up the blitzes and slide out to catch a pass when the QB is in trouble is what every young rookie needs.

I still believe the team should keep Joe but use him as a 3rd down back for pass blocking and other options. Mix him in once in a while otherwise....down in the redzone where he's been very good over the years. Hopefully, this would extend his days. He's definitely a contributor in our system when healthy and he just got a new contract.

I like Addai. Nevertheless, my main concern with Addai is that he can't ever seem to stay healthy for an entire season. This organization seems too attached to chronically injured guys and holds onto them entirely too long. They are going to have to take a long hard look at this roster during the offseason and make some difficult decisions if they really want to get better.

If Peyton can return healthy, we will probably need a workhorse stud type running back for his last hurrah...ala Elway and Terrell Davis. We have a stable of decent backs but no one to relieve the burden from Manning's shoulders. Peyton will be older and coming off injury...he probably will not be able to carry us as much as he did in the past. We need a "Triplet" caliber runner for Peyton's final stretch. Someone who must be accounted for on the field and changes the game while he is in there. Someone that helps Peyton create nightmares for opposing defenses. I know we have so many other competing needs right now which makes this ever happening highly unlikely but that doesn't change the fact that it is part of what is needed for the Colts to become Super Bowl champions again in the Manning era.