Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tebow Only As 4Th Quarter Qb?

Flash7

Tim Tebow has struggled immensely in the first three quarters of the game. His defense fights hard to keep the game within reach and Tebow finds a way to win in the fourth quarter.

Could the broncos use a traditional passing quarterback for the first three quarters and then use Tebow in the fourth quarter of close games? Would this provide them a better solution. They would not have to sit through three quarters of horrendous play, and they would still get to witness a last quarter miracle.

I wouldn't. Several reasons:

1.) Maybe Tebow needs time to work his 4th quarter magic? The 1st-3rd quarters gets him warmed up.

2.) You'd be generating controversy. Some players wouldn't know which QB to rally around. Plus, the fans made it clear they want Tebow. If they see another QB in the 1st-3rd quarters, the fans will feel cheated.

3.) Tebow has done an excellent job of protecting the football by avoiding INT's and fumbles. If another QB who plays in the 1st-3rd quarters screws this up with poor ball control, then Tebow will be forced into a deep 4th quarter deficit that wasn't even his fault. Say what you will about Tebow's 1st-3rd Q performance, but at least he doesn't turn the ball over!

The main reason Tebow is 4th Qtr is because if they're behind the coach says ok do your own thing and run around or whatever. The first 3 qtrs the coaches want to run their traditional schemes and Tebow is everthing but a tradition QB.

1.) Maybe Tebow needs time to work his 4th quarter magic? The 1st-3rd quarters gets him warmed up.

2.) You'd be generating controversy. Some players wouldn't know which QB to rally around. Plus, the fans made it clear they want Tebow. If they see another QB in the 1st-3rd quarters, the fans will feel cheated.

3.) Tebow has done an excellent job of protecting the football by avoiding INT's and fumbles. If another QB who plays in the 1st-3rd quarters screws this up with poor ball control, then Tebow will be forced into a deep 4th quarter deficit that wasn't even his fault. Say what you will about Tebow's 1st-3rd Q performance, but at least he doesn't turn the ball over!

QFT. Especially number three. I do believe the experience is slowly beginning to sink in on Tebow too. I see his slowly improving passing game catching someone off guard that sells out to stop the run/belly option in the not too distant future.

I just quickly want to address your third statement about Tebown not turning the ball over. Yes, he hasn't fumbled when running the ball which is great, but to say that not throwing an interception is a plus for Tebow is a little awkward considering he only throws the ball about 8 times per game. He had one game where he only completed 2 passes. I just feel that he doesn't throw the ball enough for that to be a ligitimate praise of Tebow.

I just quickly want to address your third statement about Tebown not turning the ball over. Yes, he hasn't fumbled when running the ball which is great, but to say that not throwing an interception is a plus for Tebow is a little awkward considering he only throws the ball about 8 times per game. He had one game where he only completed 2 passes. I just feel that he doesn't throw the ball enough for that to be a ligitimate praise of Tebow.

He's made pass attempts in what, 7 games this year? 143 of them. Comp % is low, but he has 8 TD throws to his one INT. And 80.5 rating.

GS Att Comp Pct Yds YPA Lg TD Int Tkld 20+ 40+ Rate

6 143 65 45.5 852 5.96 56 8 1 16/98 13 2 80.5

Interesting thing is, he's fumble 5 times, but only lost 1. So while he's not turning the ball over, he might actually be taking better care of it via the air.