Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Takeaways from the game

ColtsFanMikeC

I'm just grading the game, not predicting future effectiveness.

I can say Shipley would have done better blocking on the one on one matchups with about 90% certainty (who knows maybe Ship slept with the NT girlfriend and he threatened to kill him if he ever saw him again.)

Ok, that does make a little more sense, and I can at least understand your point that you think Shipley would have been better.  However I still disagree that it was a mistake to make the change because I think the staff made the change with the long term in mind, not this one game.  Now, I could agree that this probably wasn't the best game to make the change, but they could have had their reasons as to why Harrison wasn't ready until now. 

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, that does make a little more sense, and I can at least understand your point that you think Shipley would have been better.  However I still disagree that it was a mistake to make the change because I think the staff made the change with the long term in mind, not this one game.  Now, I could agree that this probably wasn't the best game to make the change, but they could have had their reasons as to why Harrison wasn't ready until now. 

No disagreement there, I'm sure the decision makes had their reasons.  They just don't make any sense to some of us mere fans.

No, I don't gotta grade at least a little bit on a curve.  He started the game, he did worse than I think Shipley would have done, thus the change looks like a mistake.

I don't know if he has a higher upside than Shipley but I'm curious to those that say that... what is that comment based on?

Not sure that the above has the whole equation. If you have a rookie that is capable of being a top 20 starting C in the league and you have a journeyman that gets cut or traded for a 7th round pick every other year , which do you want as your starting center ? IMO , if you can work the rookie in and not lose a whole lot getting him the necessary experience , you take a shot and do it. Now it could be said that it's too important of a position to be trying this but I think it depends on where the coaching staff feels Harrison's ceiling is. You also don't really know how Shipley would have done against the Ravens.

My take away from this game is that Andrew Luck is really, really good.  The Colts will be in basically every game largely because of him.  He is a footballer through and through.  Even in games where he is off target or turnover prone, he makes plays that literally have me shaking my head in disbelief.  We are Lucky to have him in Indy.

Well said. 8/9 for 129 yards when the game is on the line (4th Quarter). Clutch.

yeah I don't agree with that philosophy.

Well I'm kinda understating it. Anytime you can score on your 1st possession, especially when it's 0-0,just take the points. I'm glad that early risky business has worked out or not hurt us ( though we came close to getting a overtime game ) but let's not tempt fate too much. I know Andrew likes to play from behind but the last thing I want causing late game heroics are risky coaching decisions.

Here are three things that stood out most notably on our defense:

1. Vontae Davis is a shut down corner. Quite possibly top 3 in the league.

2. Our defense is ALOT better with Jerrell Freeman on the field.

3. Sergio Brown sees the field ALOT better than Laron Landry.

Agree with all of this. Pretty much is what I was gonna say.

* don't go for it on 4th down when it's your first possession of the game, game tied 0-0, against a opponent with a good redzone defense, especially in a obvious run formation( spread the defense ). That bad decision could've haunted us at the end

I loved the call for going for it on 4th and 1 (especially in the end zone) but not the actual play call. 

Why not use that RB and QB rollout where Luck passes to Bradshaw for a TD that has worked like 3 times now? 

Or do the unbalanced line and run the entire line to the right and run the ball to the left and use the insanely good blocking skills of Allen to block the corner. Last time we did that, it went for major yardage as well. 

All I know is we need stop telegraphing running the ball, and then up the freaking middle almost every freaking time. Bounce it outside once and a while. 

The supposed pick play was a terrible call, 87 was just running his route while looking at the QB, it's up to the defense not to run into WR.

Unfortunately No, Reggie stuck out his elbow and chucked the trailing LBer but it was 5 yards behind the throw to TY and was unnecessary.

As good as Reggie is he ain't gonna get the "Jordan/LeBraun" look away calls.

Dumb play by Reggie! (and I do really love the guy!)  just saying, that one was not on the ref's.

Now there were quite a few other calls that I have a bone to pick with, and the ball spots throughout the league this year have been terrible.