Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Offensive Line

a06cc

Two reasons.  One most posters don't know the difference between good oline play and bad oline play.  Some think that if a tackle rides a defensive end 2 yards behind the QB that the tackle is allowing pressure.  They don't understand the term "pocket" nor that the line is supposed to form a pocket rather than forming a wall.

And two, it takes some posters anywhere from half a season to a year and half to come off some preconceived ideas.  Many think the tackles are horrible, so for most of the year they will state the tackles are horrible no matter how good they play.  Then when they finally realize the tackles have been playing well they will act like they knew all along they would develop.

Lastly, I would not say they played great, but I do think overall they played well.  Luck got hit a few times (9 I think) but at least 6 of those were his fault for holding onto the ball too long or not moving to the open area in the pocket. (I remember on one sack, Luck stepped right by Ware, AC had him blocked but all Ware had to do was turn around and wrap his arms around Luck.  The only way AC could have prevented Ware from turning around would have been to hold him.

Nicely put. I think some people see that Ware had 1.5 sacks and automatically put it on Castonzo. He shouldn't have even been awarded the half sack as it was Malik Jackson that totally made the play by beating Thornton, and Ware just basically fell on the pile after Luck was already sacked. Then as you said, the other sack was completely on Luck. I only vaguely recall the play, but it seemed like Luck didn't even give the play time to develop. He just took the snap and almost did something of a QB draw towards the left side of the line right into Ware. 

Castonzo and Cherilus both had tremendous nights especially considering they were up against Ware and Von Miller.

I thought the tackles both did very well.  Run blocking, all around, was much better than last year (though I realize that's not saying too much).  There was definitely some confusion in the interior on occasion, which is expected when the starting unit hasn't really worked with each other.  In general, I would say that Mewhort was probably the most impressive.  He got a positive comment from Collingsworth for his ability to get out in front of screen passes and stick some blocks.  He really looked comfortable out there.  Shipley looked like a guy who had only been on the team for eight days sometimes.  But, other times he looked pretty good.  Thornton looked up and down, but generally pretty solid.  I'm definitely not worried about the interior, even with Shipley in there.  The line gave Luck a lot more time and the RBs more holes than we've seen the last two years (by far).

Once again we are on the same page.

I think if Holmes can come in this week and play the rest of the year without injury we may have our starting O Line in place. He is the key to the whole thing. He is either the anchor we were told he is or he isn't. If not I would like to start seeing Harrison get some time in the next few weeks. We know what Shipley can do.

I think we are pretty close on O Line. Mewhort looked good for his first game. Thorton is up and down more than I would like but lets get a look with a solid C in there.

The OL is one of the units I'm excited about. There's going to be some struggles, but they're all young (save for Cherilus) and talented. The WR core and the OL are two areas Grigson has done a good job at. Castonzo was there when he got there though, but he did very well against a future HoF in Demarcus Ware. Cherilus handled Miller just like he did last season. Shipley did about as well as you would expect for someone joining the team so late.

The OL is one of the units I'm excited about. There's going to be some struggles, but they're all young (save for Cherilus) and talented. The WR core and the OL are two areas Grigson has done a good job at. Castonzo was there when he got there though, but he did very well against a future HoF in Demarcus Ware. Cherilus handled Miller just like he did last season. Shipley did about as well as you would expect for someone joining the team so late.

I am with you Holmes is the key if he can step in stay healthy and be the anchor this O Line could develop into a good unit. Right before our eyes.

I liked what I saw from Ulrich in his brief time and really was starting to like Walker the kid on the PS. The O Line is close. Grig's really needs to have hit on Holmes. And in good shape we may be.