Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mere Days After Goodell's Domestic Violence Letter

pacolts56

I think this is going to be a down year for  the 49ers.  They lost Aldon Smith.  They looked pretty bad in preseason too.

You got that right. They have so many problems....Navarro Bowman out..

Glenn Dorsey..the DT...out..Aldon Smith ...out //

..and the 1st string offense did not play well in any pre-season game...

..4 games against Pheonix and Seattle,,,and they play the AFC West..Denver, KC and SD

Looks like his girlfriend is pregnant...I believe there are special circumstances provisions in the rule that allow extended suspensions in some cases. If true, this would be one of those cases without question.

Sheeesh...yep, as if it wasn't bad enough the girl is pregnant.

And I'm not sure how much it will weigh in the matter but this article goes on to say that Vernon Davis and Demarcus Dobbs were present at the party celebrating McDonald's birthday.

http://www.sacbee.com/2014/08/31/6668566/49ers-ray-mcdonald-arrested-sunday.html

A storied franchise that hoped to contend for a SB and show off a new stadium is beginning to look like a colossal mess.

From Sacramento Bee

"SAN JOSE -- 49ers defensive end Ray McDonald was arrested for domestic violence early Sunday morning in San Jose. Police arrived at McDonald’s home at approximately 2 a.m. where a party was being held in honor of McDonald’s birthday. He turns 30 on Tuesday.

McDonald apparently got into an altercation with his fiancee, whom a police source said is pregnant. When she showed police bruising on her neck and arms, McDonald was arrested. News of the arrest first was reported by NBC Bay Area.

Other 49ers were present, including tight end Vernon Davis and defensive end Demarcus Dobbs. McDonald was booked at 5:30 a.m. in San Jose for “inflicting injury on a spouse or cohabitant,” according to the Santa Clara Department of Corrections. Bail has not yet been set."

On page C5 of the printed STAR, at the bottom of the "NFL Notebook" column, it mentions the incident.  The second paragraph states:

"NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell announced tougher penalities last week for players accused of domestic violence."

Penalties for being accused? 

I guess tangible punishment that sends the correct social message is more important than individual rights.  It wouldn't surprise me if a lot of people thought that was okay.

But perhaps the newspaper writer and editor miswrote that sentence...of course, that would mean the employed media didn't see a problem with what they wrote.(rolls eyes)

On page C5 of the printed STAR, at the bottom of the "NFL Notebook" column, it mentions the incident.  The second paragraph states:

"NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell announced tougher penalities last week for players accused of domestic violence."

Penalties for being accused? 

I guess tangible punishment that sends the correct social message is more important than individual rights.  It wouldn't surprise me if a lot of people thought that was okay.

But perhaps the newspaper writer and editor miswrote that sentence...of course, that would mean the employed media didn't see a problem with what they wrote.(rolls eyes)

Your "individual rights" are about due process in criminal matters, and unless they are specifically stated in a handbook or something they have nothing to do with the contract between you and your employer. An employer can do whatever they want with you -- discipline you or fire you -- as long as they don't do so in violation of any of the protections afforded you by law or a collective bargaining agreement.  And jerks who knock women around are not a protected class. I don't care if "she was asking for it" or "she started it" or whatever.  You just walk away. 

Your "individual rights" are about due process in criminal matters, and unless they are specifically stated in a handbook or something they have nothing to do with the contract between you and your employer. An employer can do whatever they want with you -- discipline you or fire you -- as long as they don't do so in violation of any of the protections afforded you by law or a collective bargaining agreement.  And jerks who knock women around are not a protected class. I don't care if "she was asking for it" or "she started it" or whatever.  You just walk away. 

Absolutely....companies are free to have policies that don't require due process before they deny their employees their paychecks.  They are free not to have them too.  Employees are free to find another employer (unless the employer has a monopoly protected by congress, and congress doesn't pursue the antitrust exemption as long as the non-due-process-policy sent the correct message, whatever that is).

My point is that I think it is wrong for a monopolistic employer to have a non due process policy before it deny's an employee the ability to work.  What the social message behind the policy is, is irrelevant.

I would just defer to the courts....I think they have the professional staffing to handle it.

Hopefully Goodell actually enforces it and don't wait it out like he did Greg Hardy to the last minute.

We all know misogyny runs rampant in this league, it would be nice to see examples made of these big strong real men that are oh so strong they have to pick on women.