Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Could Tony Gonzalez be Patriots TE option?

amfootball

The points really don't give justice to the game. Denver played cautiously not aggressive and after 3rd quarter they went to kill the time mode. They could have scored more.

Injuries were part of the game and both teams lost several key players.

I really want both teams healthy when they meet this year. Don't want to hear anything about "weapons" or "injuries".

Denver was up by three scores heading into the fourth so they went into kill clock mode which was the smart move. Brady ran out of time at the end. Had they converted that 2 point conversion then it is a one score game with three minutes to go. But really Denver dominated once Talib went out on both sides of the ball. Credit to them. I am looking forward to this year to see how the improved Pats D handles their O and how Lafell's performs and the second year guys that were rookies last year.

Injuries are part of football. Denver just lost their kick returner to a torn ACL and their middle LB for half the season. It is what it is. Good teams adjust and have depth on their roster to overcome. Only fans make excuses. Players understand it is next man up.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Denver was up by three scores heading into the fourth so they went into kill clock mode which was the smart move. Brady ran out of time at the end. Had they converted that 2 point conversion then it is a one score game with three minutes to go. But really Denver dominated once Talib went out on both sides of the ball. Credit to them. I am looking forward to this year to see how the improved Pats D handles their O and how Lafell's performs and the second year guys that were rookies last year.

Injuries are part of football. Denver just lost their kick returner to a torn ACL and their middle LB for half the season. It is what it is. Good teams adjust and have depth on their roster to overcome. Only fans make excuses. Players understand it is next man up.

Are you suggesting if Aqib Talib played full game, pats would have been to SB?.

Are you suggesting if Aqib Talib played full game, pats would have been to SB?.

Possibly. For sure Denver would not have dominated on O like they did. Thomas ran wild once Talib went out. Dennard could not handle him at all. Like I said, credit Denver and blame Pats for not having a better option at DB but realistically only a handful of corners can cover Thomas one on one and Talib was one of them.

Possibly. For sure Denver would not have dominated on O like they did. Thomas ran wild once Talib went out. Dennard could not handle him at all. Like I said, credit Denver and blame Pats for not having a better option at DB but realistically only a handful of corners can cover Thomas one on one and Talib was one of them.

You need to realize Denver was never forced to play their Plan B or need to make adjustments. It was really an easy game for them. I am sure they would have improvised if Aqib was an issue.

If you remember, AFCCG game 2009 Colts vs Jets, Jets had the best defense with Darelle Revis playing the entire game. Colts scored 30 points by ignoring Revis.

Let's not make it sound like Aqib is some God.

You need to realize Denver was never forced to play their Plan B or need to make adjustments. It was really an easy game for them. I am sure they would have improvised if Aqib was an issue.

If you remember, AFCCG game 2009 Colts vs Jets, Jets had the best defense with Darelle Revis playing the entire game. Colts scored 30 points by ignoring Revis.

Let's not make it sound like Aqib is some God.

What plan B? I think based on the super bowl, we all learned there is no plan B. Manning lives and dies with his Indy offense. I agree though the game was very easy for Denver once Talib went out.

In terms of the Jets, Manning was opposed by Sanchez. Don't think more needs to be said. Jets could have had five Revis' out there and would not have mattered.

Gronk and Gonzalez in tandem.

That'd be pretty cool.  ;)

But I think the only scenario where I see it happening is if Gronk suffers another long-term injury sometime before, say, Halloween. Maybe then Belichick makes a phone call. The depth at TE is paper thin here so they must REALLY be relying on Gronk to have a healthy year. Maybe Gonzales is "Plan B" or something along those lines.

What plan B? I think based on the super bowl, we all learned there is no plan B. Manning lives and dies with his Indy offense. I agree though the game was very easy for Denver once Talib went out.

In terms of the Jets, Manning was opposed by Sanchez. Don't think more needs to be said. Jets could have had five Revis' out there and would not have mattered.

SB is different. Pats don't have the same defense.

Do you realize Sanchez scored 17 points in that AFCCG and Brady scored 16 points ( a TD in garbage time ).

And argument here is if Aqib stayed Pats would have won. Even Revis couldn't stop.

That'd be pretty cool. ;)

But I think the only scenario where I see it happening is if Gronk suffers another long-term injury sometime before, say, Halloween. Maybe then Belichick makes a phone call. The depth at TE is paper thin here so they must REALLY be relying on Gronk to have a healthy year. Maybe Gonzales is "Plan B" or something along those lines.

Both together will give nightmares to defenses.

SB is different. Pats don't have the same defense.

Do you realize Sanchez scored 17 points in that AFCCG and Brady scored 16 points ( a TD in garbage time ).

What adjustments did Denver make in the SB offensively? I didn't see any which is why they only scored 8. Like I said, there is the Indy offense and nothing else. Most of the time it is good enough but when it hits the personnel of the Hawks or the Pats from '03, '04, it always struggles.

Sanchez' points were in garbage time as well.

What adjustments did Denver make in the SB offensively? I didn't see any which is why they only scored 8. Like I said, there is the Indy offense and nothing else. Most of the time it is good enough but when it hits the personnel of the Hawks or the Pats from '03, '04, it always struggles.

Sanchez' points were in garbage time as well.

lol it's not garbage time.

They scored mostly in first half and were leading the Colts during half. I don't know why you are arguing against facts.

lol it's not garbage time.

They scored mostly in first half and were leading the Colts during half. I don't know why you are arguing against facts.

Huh? So that also means Sanchez was shut out the second half unlike Brady who actually was mounting a comeback until the failed two point conversion. I am not sure what the Jets game has to do with anything anyways. The Patriots defense was a far better defense when Talib was in the line up over the last season and a half. That is not debatable. Had he played, he would have been glued to Thomas forcing Manning to get it done with the other receivers which he may have done regardless but the path would have been more difficult. The sea change came when Talib went out and Manning could do whatever he wanted.

Huh? So that also means Sanchez was shut out the second half unlike Brady who actually was mounting a comeback until the failed two point conversion. I am not sure what the Jets game has to do with anything anyways. The Patriots defense was a far better defense when Talib was in the line up over the last season and a half. That is not debatable. Had he played, he would have been glued to Thomas forcing Manning to get it done with the other receivers which he may have done regardless but the path would have been more difficult. The sea change came when Talib went out and Manning could do whatever he wanted.

Point is Darelle Revis played the entire game and couldn't stop Indy offense. Arguing that if Aqib played all game Pats would have won is a lame excuse and comical.

Point is Darelle Revis played the entire game and couldn't stop Indy offense. Arguing that if Aqib played all game Pats would have won is a lame excuse and comical.

You do realize the Jets from 2009 are different from the Pats of 2013 and so aren't the Broncos of 2013 vs the Colts of 2009? Trying to draw linear lines between the two is silly. Or in another words A does not equal B when you talking about two different games that are years apart. I just told you how effective the Pats D was with Talib in the line up vs out of the line up for the last year and a half and yet you ignore that. Their pass defense was MUCH better with him (look at the stats). He matched up well against big, physical receivers which is why he shut down Jimmy Graham and was handling Thomas which he also did in the Foxboro game as well which the Pats won. His departure severely hurt the Pats in terms of being able to get off the field defensively. Again, this isn't debatable. It was widely said and reported after the game. Now whether or not the Pats would have won with him in there, I don't know but for sure it would not have been a run away.

You do realize the Jets from 2009 are different from the Pats of 2013 and so aren't the Broncos of 2013 vs the Colts of 2009? Trying to draw linear lines between the two is silly. Or in another words A does not equal B when you talking about two different games that are years apart. I just told you how effective the Pats D was with Talib in the line up vs out of the line up for the last year and a half and yet you ignore that. Their pass defense was MUCH better with him (look at the stats). He matched up well against big, physical receivers which is why he shut down Jimmy Graham and was handling Thomas which he also did in the Foxboro game as well which the Pats won. His departure severely hurt the Pats in terms of being able to get off the field defensively. Again, this isn't debatable. It was widely said and reported after the game. Now whether or not the Pats would have won with him in there, I don't know but for sure it would not have been a run away.

You are going in circles. Sometimes it's better to admit the better team won no matter what. It looks silly to talk about ifs and buts.

You are going in circles. Sometimes it's better to admit the better team won no matter what. It looks silly to talk about ifs and buts.

lol. I said Denver was the better team multiple times. You were on this kick about Pats fans saying it was a lack of weapons for Brady. I think the game was most affected by Talib exiting. JMO but one that is held by many. I mean why do you think Denver signed Talib in the off-season away from the Pats? lol. 

lol. I said Denver was the better team multiple times. You were on this kick about Pats fans saying it was a lack of weapons for Brady. I think the game was most affected by Talib exiting. JMO but one that is held by many. I mean why do you think Denver signed Talib in the off-season away from the Pats? lol.

Denver needed a corner and he was available. They didn't sign away from Pats lol.

We will see this year with Darelle Revis versus Broncos O :).

Denver needed a corner and he was available. They didn't sign away from Pats lol.

We will see this year with Darelle Revis versus Broncos O :).

Come on now. Of course they signed him away from the Pats. It was no secret that the Pats wanted Talib back and they came in with their big contract offer that they knew the Pats would not match. But it was great because Bill had been talking to Revis all along. :D

I am looking forward to Denver/Pats and Revis/Talib. Should be one of the best games of the year.

If you watched the game, you could see the whole game change when Talib went out and did not return. Also, Belichick talked a lot about the Welker hit and it being dirty right after the game which he rarely does about any player. He knew what it meant for his team to lose their best DB against the best offense all-time. I still think the Pats would lose even with Talib as Denver was stopping the run which left the Pats offensive in a futile position to move the ball. But for sure, the Denver O would not have had such an easy time with things had Talib been in there. No team would fair well losing its best defensive player on the road vs that high octane offense.

If you watched the game, you could see the whole game change when Talib went out and did not return. Also, Belichick talked a lot about the Welker hit and it being dirty right after the game which he rarely does about any player. He knew what it meant for his team to lose their best DB against the best offense all-time. I still think the Pats would lose even with Talib as Denver was stopping the run which left the Pats offensive in a futile position to move the ball. But for sure, the Denver O would not have had such an easy time with things had Talib been in there. No team would fair well losing its best defensive player on the road vs that high octane offense.

Bill was particular irked after that game for sure. I think the Welker emotions run deep for him. I was more upset that Talib did not at least try to come back. After the game, it came out that he had bruised ribs and a sore knee, no structural damage at all to his knee. It was infuriating and I am happy in some ways he is gone with all his injury issues.

I had to look it up... memory is not as good as it used to be, lol...

Talib was hurt early in the 2nd quarter, on the Broncos' third possession. Prior to that point, Thomas had registered one catch. The play-by-play credits McCourty with the tackle but I can't recall if he got away from Talib or if Talib wasn't covering him on that play.

After Talib went down, Thomas did virtually all of his damage, finishing with 7 catches for 134 yards and a TD. 

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/playbyplay?gameId=340119007

I don't think the Patriots ultimately would have won that game either way. The Broncos killed them with long, extended drives... one for 93 yards, one for 80, both over 7:00 off the clock. They dominated time-of-possession and got points on I think six straight possessions. 

Still, the Patriots were a 2-point conversion away from making it a one-score game with a little over 3:00 left... but too little, too late I think. 

I had to look it up... memory is not as good as it used to be, lol...

Talib was hurt early in the 2nd quarter, on the Broncos' third possession. Prior to that point, Thomas had registered one catch. The play-by-play credits McCourty with the tackle but I can't recall if he got away from Talib or if Talib wasn't covering him on that play.

After Talib went down, Thomas did virtually all of his damage, finishing with 7 catches for 134 yards and a TD. 

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/playbyplay?gameId=340119007

I don't think the Patriots ultimately would have won that game either way. The Broncos killed them with long, extended drives... one for 93 yards, one for 80, both over 7:00 off the clock. They dominated time-of-possession and got points on I think six straight possessions. 

Still, the Patriots were a 2-point conversion away from making it a one-score game with a little over 3:00 left... but too little, too late I think. 

Thanks for looking that up. Seems about right. I remember Thomas having a field day after Talib went out. I don't think it would have made a difference in the outcome ultimately but it would have been nice to see it play out. What if Talib got a pick at some point that turned into 7? It is things like that can swing momentum and determine the outcome.

“The temptation would be there, but I don't know what the gain would be,'' Gonzalez told Newsday. "I've always wanted a ring. That's been my main goal as a player over the last 15 years of my career. You're really trying to get that ultimate goal."

That is all Bill needs, a temptation. ;) 

All these partial quotes...

But I'd be a mercenary to come in and get a Super Bowl ring, play with a team for, what, six, seven weeks? And even if I got the ring, it wouldn't be the same as going through the fight with the team from the beginning to the end. I don't think that will happen. The temptation will be there, but I'm 100- percent happy with my decision.

"I was able to walk away from the game on my own terms. Not a lot of players get a chance to do that. I'm very fortunate to do that. I wouldn't want to go back on that good luck.

Never say never, but it doesn't sound like Gonzalez is interested in playing anymore. 

Yeah, it is a long shot for sure. But boy could the Pats use him.

If Gronk is healthy, it doesn't matter. But if Gronk were to be unavailable in Week 9 and on, and the Pats made a call, I'm sure Tony G would pick up the phone. What happens after that, I don't know. 

He's probably thought about that scenario in his mind a few times since the end of the season. And since he's not saying he's definitely done, there is a sliver of hope. But I don't think it's likely, at all.

I don't see him coming out of retirement but who knows, the Patriots always seem to pull off the impossible lol

Yes, they do QuizBoy. Yes, the do. Landing Jr. Seau, Randy Moss, & Revis Island...I don't hate anymore; I just marvel at how the Grey Hoodie does it over & over again in either the draft or free agency. 

That'd be pretty cool.  ;)

He'd be foolish not to do so GP. Leaving no stone unturned. 

Both together will give nightmares to defenses.

Ah huh. You can say that again Shane. I'd go to Foxboro for a legitimate shot at a ring if I was Tony. He can get a broadcasting gig on TV anytime with no trouble at all. 

"Mounting a comeback" 

What was wrong with them?.

lol i love it..

Turn a blind eye to the totally obvious.

Lets see...

- Wes Welker goes off to the Broncos

- Aaron Hernandez who was one of the top TEs in the entire league goes to prison.

- Gronkowski out with injuries

- Vollmer goes down for the year

- Amendola tears his groin week 1

The above names are an insanely talented group of players.  Brady lost ALL of them and his other veterans like Brandon Lloyd.

Guess what they were replaced with?

THREE Rookie WRs in Aaron Dobson, Joshua Boyce and Kembril Thompkins.

Three rookies with their heads spinning come in to replace the production of Hall of Fame/All-Pro/Pro-Bowl Talented players...

but yea, keep pretending like the Patriots were just loaded on offense and poor, pathetic Brady just couldn't get it done on offense.  The fact that they were still a top 10 offense should be astonishing to anyone who actually understands the game of football.

Meanwhile, Peyton Manning had a bunch of scrub janitors that they were forced to suit up and take the field for him and he turned them all into All-Pro receivers and broke the TD record!  What an amazingly talented guy!  He had no one, it was all him and his majestic glow!

Whatever keeps you warm at night

I know you read all the posts here and you know this lack of weapons as an excuse was mentioned several times.

Like I said before, I prefer either Colts or Broncos to play Pats in Foxboro. This will end the sunny weather and dome stadiums excuses.

The offense didn't perform up to its usual standards and that is blatantly obvious to anyone who actually understands the game and isn't trying to troll.

What Brady accomplished last year with that cast of offensive players is simply amazing and just further adds to his incredibly impressive resume.

And most of the "excuses" were when people here were trying to compare his STATS to guys like Manning.  Thats an insanely unfair comparison because Manning had the most talented group of offensive players in the entire league.

Its hilarious though to watch some people on these forums do anything they possible can to try and diminish how good Tom Brady is.  It just KILLS you to admit that hes a great Quarterback, so much so that you'll act like his cast of offensive weapons last year was top notch and that there was nothing wrong with them.

Lol..  His entire cast of weapons was completely depleted.. I believe his top 6 receivers from the previous year were all GONE.  That is nearly a 100% turnover at the WR position with the exception of Edelman.

You lose so much credibility when you try to be passive aggressive and suggest that everything was hunky dory and ignore what actually happened and how significant the losses were..  and also ignore how he was still able to overcome a lot of that adversity, lead the entire league in comeback wins (nearly had 2 more if you count those 2 controversial games against Carolina and Miami), won 12 games and made it 1 game away from the Super Bowl.

The fact that its so hard for you to acknowledge any of that or give him the tiniest bit of respect is very telling.  You're basically trolling, because there is no way someone who follows the game as much as you actually, truly feels that way inside your heart of hearts.

Colts have a good chance to beat both Broncos and Pats this year. Andrew Luck will score 30 points a game with the WRs he has.

You just contradicted yourself.

You completely ignore and downplay Brady losing his top 6 targets, then say 

Andrew Luck will score 30 points a game with the WRs he has.

So you acknowledge that having great weapons on offense is helpful to the QB then?