Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Indianapolis Colts will continue to use "interchangeable safety" on defense

TKnight24

@HolderStephen: Here's Chuck Pagano on plans to continue interchanging strong/free safety despite loss of Antoine Bethea #Colts

Link: http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2014/08/12/colts-pagano-keeps-options-open-second-starting-safety-spot/13958117/

I'm NOT a fan of this at all :no: . Laron Landry is not a FS at all, he's basically a LB and should be at SS at all times.

He's a liability in coverage and all football fans know (least I hope so) that the FS usually is your cover safety. This was one of the many problems we had on defense, trying to make people something they aren't. Landry is a SS, nothing more, nothing less.

Really hope the stubborn ways of Pagano & Manusky don't cost us this year. If they see it's not working, really hope they cut it off immediately

:colts:

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Superman.. can you please explain the safety roles on our defense please.. I think he said something to the tune of the SS covers the tight ends and slot receivers and the FS covers the back end. I'd rather have Landry covering deep than covering a tight end or slot receiver head on.

Superman.. can you please explain the safety roles on our defense please.. I think he said something to the tune of the SS covers the tight ends and slot receivers and the FS covers the back end. I'd rather have Landry covering deep than covering a tight end or slot receiver head on.

I'd rather not have Landry and the word "Covering" in the same sentence

LOL, again???

The headline should probably read "Colts will continue to pay lip service to the idea of interchangeable safeties in order to avoid tipping their hand." That's kind of a long headline, though.

We really don't use our safeties interchangeably. I haven't charted this, maybe I will this year, but the Colts typically use their SS in man coverage against TEs and slot receivers, and to support the run. They will drop him into the box or to the nickel slot, and go with a single high safety look. That leaves the FS responsible for the back end.

Landry is far better suited to be the single high guy, since he has excellent range and make-up speed. He can also be good in the box against the run, if he takes the proper angles and doesn't miss tackles (but he sometimes takes bad angles and misses tackles, so...) There's no reason anyone should want to see Landry as the SS, since he isn't good in man coverage and would get taken apart by slot receivers and good TEs. He also can't shed blocks worth a damn, so putting him in the box and letting the offense account for him on run downs with a TE or a FB is kind of pointless.

What the Colts mean -- IMO -- when they say they use the safeties "interchangeably" is that they'll use both safeties in the box or up top, depending on the playcall and the situation. But typically, they don't use Landry in man coverage in the box. Nor should they.

@HolderStephen: Here's Chuck Pagano on plans to continue interchanging strong/free safety despite loss of Antoine Bethea #Colts

Link: http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2014/08/12/colts-pagano-keeps-options-open-second-starting-safety-spot/13958117/

I'm NOT a fan of this at all :no: . Laron Landry is not a FS at all, he's basically a LB and should be at SS at all times.

He's a liability in coverage and all football fans know (least I hope so) that the FS usually is your cover safety. This was one of the many problems we had on defense, trying to make people something they aren't. Landry is a SS, nothing more, nothing less.

Really hope the stubborn ways of Pagano & Manusky don't cost us this year. If they see it's not working, really hope they cut it off immediately

The colts scheme doesnt even use a FS/SS  by that respective definition... :thinking:

LOL, again???

The headline should probably read "Colts will continue to pay lip service to the idea of interchangeable safeties in order to avoid tipping their hand." That's kind of a long headline, though.

We really don't use our safeties interchangeably. I haven't charted this, maybe I will this year, but the Colts typically use their SS in man coverage against TEs and slot receivers, and to support the run. They will drop him into the box or to the nickel slot, and go with a single high safety look. That leaves the FS responsible for the back end.

Landry is far better suited to be the single high guy, since he has excellent range and make-up speed. He can also be good in the box against the run, if he takes the proper angles and doesn't miss tackles (but he sometimes takes bad angles and misses tackles, so...) There's no reason anyone should want to see Landry as the SS, since he isn't good in man coverage and would get taken apart by slot receivers and good TEs. He also can't shed blocks worth a damn, so putting him in the box and letting the offense account for him on run downs with a TE or a FB is kind of pointless.

What the Colts mean -- IMO -- when they say they use the safeties "interchangeably" is that they'll use both safeties in the box or up top, depending on the playcall and the situation. But typically, they don't use Landry in man coverage in the box. Nor should they.

Thanks for this....

And it goes back to what I've posted several times....

Landry remains one of my least favorite signings in the Grigson era....

I look forward to the drafts in '15 and '16 so we can move on and upgrade the safety position....

Thanks for this....

And it goes back to what I've posted several times....

Landry remains one of my least favorite signings in the Grigson era....

I look forward to the drafts in '15 and '16 so we can move on and upgrade the safety position....

Da'Rick Rogers and a happy meal for haha Clinton-Dix in a straight up trade coming soon

#BookIt

Maybe you should take a closer look at what the Colts defense does. As far as what you say is stubborn ways I don't see it IMO. I think you are confusing stubborn with the lack of playmakers at the key positions. I just don't get all the negative comments from you in regards to Pagano. As far as Manusky last season was his first year to try to start the 3-4 hybrid defense and you expect immediate results? The Colts have come along way since a 2-14 record and it takes time. I could be wrong but I think there is only 5 players left on the team that was here 3 years ago and two of them are kickers. Is it possible for you to look at the bigger picture rather than being so critical.

Maybe you should take a closer look at what the Colts defense does. As far as what you say is stubborn ways I don't see it IMO. I think you are confusing stubborn with the lack of playmakers at the key positions. I just don't get all the negative comments from you in regards to Pagano. As far as Manusky last season was his first year to try to start the 3-4 hybrid defense and you expect immediate results? The Colts have come along way since a 2-14 record and it takes time. I could be wrong but I think there is only 5 players left on the team that was here 3 years ago and two of them are kickers. Is it possible for you to look at the bigger picture rather than being so critical.

2nd year in the 3-4 defense last season, 3rd year this season.

And while you view it as criticised tactics, it's stating facts. As everyone pointed out, yes Landry is the fastest and most ranged privileged S on the roster but his ball skills leave a lot to be desired

I was ecstatic when we signed him coming off his pro bowl year, but was disappointed with his play. But then I think how Manusky is no Guru like Rex Ryan is when it comes to defense. Expecting much improvement from Mr. Landry this year but we'll see if the expectations are met

LOL, again???

....... Why is our defense flipped? I'd still rather have Landry on a TE than in the back end IMO. He's big enough and fast enough to cover 98% of the TE's in the NFL (2% being Graham & Davis)

But guess you do learn something new everyday. *Writes in notepad that Colts do things backwards*

....... Why is our defense flipped? I'd still rather have Landry on a TE than in the back end IMO. He's big enough and fast enough to cover 98% of the TE's in the NFL (2% being Graham & Davis)

But guess you do learn something new everyday. *Writes in notepad that Colts do things backwards*

No you don't

Meh Im over it, Im just gonna watch and enjoy the season, Personally I'd give Ed Reed a call if Grigson hasn't already just to kick the tires on him and sign him to a 1 year deal if healthy. (word is he wants to play 1 more year), It may not work out but I don't think he was healthy last year, We have the money for a 1 year deal, I know we would be hoping he still has one year left in him but personally I'd take that over going Cover 1 with Landry or Howell, Low risk/high reward if he is healthy actually

What is there not to be a fan of?

I would rather see Landry at free safety. Keep him single high so he can see the entire field and use his speed to make plays.

If an opposing offensive player slips by and breaks open then it might look like Landry's fault, but it won't be. I like knowing that our fastest player on defense is playing the closest to the end zone. He will be in position to catch them, and he will because he will have the angles due to having the opportunity to see it coming. 

I think they will have a higher asking price..

I heard that Burger Kings Chicken fries are back

Colts Trade:

1. Da'Rick Rogers

2. Burger King Chicken Fries

3. 5 flavors of choice of Sonic milkshakes

4. $100 bill from Jim Irsay

Colts Receive:

1. haha Clinton-Dix

Meh Im over it, Im just gonna watch and enjoy the season, Personally I'd give Ed Reed a call if Grigson hasn't already just to kick the tires on him and sign him to a 1 year deal if healthy. (word is he wants to play 1 more year), It may not work out but I don't think he was healthy last year, We have the money for a 1 year deal, I know we would be hoping he still has one year left in him but personally I'd take that over going Cover 1 with Landry or Howell, Low risk/high reward if he is healthy actually

Dude, really?

Dinosaurs have been extinct for a long, long time. 

Yeah, guess you're right there. I just think Howell has slightly better ball skills (small sample from Howell I know) than Landry showed all season.

I'd rather have him play the center fielder than Landry. Much rather have Landry on blitzes and covering RB's out the backfield. Dude can fly, just can't find the ball and also is boom or bust with his tackling

It is hot down here, but I was talking about the Landry part lol

Ohh haha

You don't think Landry can at least cover our division TE's? Like..... *tries to think of a division TE*

Mercedes Lewis? (Is he still in Jax? haha)

Delanie Walker in Tennessee?

Or any Texans TE?

are safety roles are very similar.... again no one is a pure fs/ss the roles are interchangeable

youre getting all caught up in labels that have no meaning in our scheme when it comes to that position. both safeties play the run and step down into the box, and both will play the pass and drop back or play man. 

I do think Howell has better ball skills and is able to stay on a reciever better but he has some large durability issues, almost worse than Laron has had. Can't count on any of them yet!

The Colts will be using 4 safeties this year, maybe 5.

Laron

Howell

Adams

Brown

McDonald

It's not flipped. We blitz, quite a bit, and we use our ILBs in underneath zone coverage. If you have a safety who can play man coverage on TEs and slot receivers, then you have more freedom with all your LBs and can disguise your pressures a little better. So if you're going to use that safety in man coverage, why wouldn't you deploy him in a position where he can actually cover the players he's being asked to cover? You want that safety lined up over TEs and slot receivers, otherwise he's 15 yards back and can't defend his man.

You should let go of the traditional labels of FS and SS and what you've been forced to learn about them. "The FS is best in coverage, and the SS roams the box." That can be true, but that's not important for our defense.

Also, you're crazy if you think you want Landry trying to cover TEs in the box. He'd have to face Delanie Walker twice, we play Julius Thomas, Rob Gronkowski, Brent Celek and Zach Ertz, Jason Witten, Jordan Reed, Jordan Cameron, Tyler Eifert, etc., this season. Yes, Landry is fast enough to run with all of them, but running doesn't equal covering. The basis for your objection is that Landry isn't a good cover man, but you want to man him up against some of the best TEs in the league? And for what, to appease this outdated idea of what the FS and SS should be?

Landry is fine on the back end. Certainly better than he'd be in man coverage against TEs and slot receivers.

are safety roles are very similar.... again no one is a pure fs/ss the roles are interchangeable

Yeah, just did some research (hardly did any haha) on the colts app. Video of Pagano saying that our depth chart when it comes to S means nothing cause they'll flip sides.

"Doesn't matter who's next to Landry"

So with Landry being a lock to start barring injury, who'd be best suited to play both SS & FS our defense

I think it'd be the vet Mike Adams but with Howell surely looking to prove himself and having more experience in our defense, he should have the slight edge. But currently he's battling a neck injury so can we trust him to be healthy?

I don't expect Sergio Brown to be in the mix, he'll just continue being the ace special teamer that he is imo

It's not flipped. We blitz, quite a bit, and we use our ILBs in underneath zone coverage. If you have a safety who can play man coverage on TEs and slot receivers, then you have more freedom with all your LBs and can disguise your pressures a little better. So if you're going to use that safety in man coverage, why wouldn't you deploy him in a position where he can actually cover the players he's being asked to cover? You want that safety lined up over TEs and slot receivers, otherwise he's 15 yards back and can't defend his man.

You should let go of the traditional labels of FS and SS and what you've been forced to learn about them. "The FS is best in coverage, and the SS roams the box." That can be true, but that's not important for our defense.

Also, you're crazy if you think you want Landry trying to cover TEs in the box. He'd have to face Delanie Walker twice, we play Julius Thomas, Rob Gronkowski, Brent Celek and Zach Ertz, Jason Witten, Jordan Reed, Jordan Cameron, Tyler Eifert, etc., this season. Yes, Landry is fast enough to run with all of them, but running doesn't equal covering. The basis for your objection is that Landry isn't a good cover man, but you want to man him up against some of the best TEs in the league? And for what, to appease this outdated idea of what the FS and SS should be?

Landry is fine on the back end. Certainly better than he'd be in man coverage against TEs and slot receivers.

I don't want him covering deep, I don't mind him covering 5-10 yards with a TE or RB. Deep is where he's suspect at.

And we're not playing Gronk this season, he'll be injured by the time we get to NE. Dudes made of glass seems like

Far as Graham, I don't see any of our LB's (Maybe Freeman but even then that's questionable) covering Graham so we might have to use a safety or CB

That dinosaur was still a playmaker in starts though last year when he joined the Jets, His pedigree is worth at least bringing him in

He barely played in half his team's snaps last year, 300 fewer than Landry did. He had three picks. I'm not sure that qualifies as a playmaker. He's 37 years old next month. He'd be better as a secondary coach than as a player. Time to let Ed Reed rest peacefully.

He barely played in half his team's snaps last year, 300 fewer than Landry did. He had three picks. I'm not sure that qualifies as a playmaker. He's 37 years old next month. He'd be better as a secondary coach than as a player. Time to let Ed Reed rest peacefully.

Agreed. 

If Reed could still play then a team would have signed him, especially a team that can use a safety with a coach that is very close to him.

The fact that we have not signed him tells me everything I need to know about where Reed is at in his career. 

I don't want him covering deep, I don't mind him covering 5-10 yards with a TE or RB. Deep is where he's suspect at.

And we're not playing Gronk this season, he'll be injured by the time we get to NE. Dudes made of glass seems like

Far as Graham, I don't see any of our LB's (Maybe Freeman but even then that's questionable) covering Graham so we might have to use a safety or CB

To the bolded, I don't agree. He's better helping over the top than being solely responsible in short areas. 

One more thing, keep in mind that the term "strong safety" originally applied to what side of the field that player lined up on, the strong side or the weak side. Just like strongside or SAM backer refers to the linebacker on the strong side of the play, strong safety originally referred to the safety on the strong side of the play. Had little to do with which safety was down closer to the line of scrimmage.

Because the strong side of the play is typically the side the TE is lined up on, the SS would drop down into the box for run support, since the presence of a TE used to signal a run play. Anymore, that's not the case, because TEs are legitimate receiving threats these days, but that wasn't typically true back in the day. So that box safety could be less concerned about man coverage, and more concerned with run support, on many plays.

Things have obviously changed. The old FS/SS terms don't quite mean what they used to, but we do still typically use our SS on the strong side of the play.