Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Should the Colts pick up Andre Brown?

Ehh maybe. . . Although given that he was released by the Texans I would have to say buyer beware. . . His stats for the Giants look good but then he gets cut by the Texans??  Part of me thinks that he may be regressing to the mean or something considering he was with like 4 different teams before he stuck someplace and that place let him walk.  

The question is why was he released

I'm trying to figure that out. . . Read his Wikipedia page and except for a short stint with the Giants where he was apparently fairly productive as a backup, he has all the markings of a extremely low level player.

For example in 2009 he's on IR with the Giants.  He's cut at the beginning of the 2010 season.

Then in 2010 bounces between 5 different teams.  He's with the Giants in early Sept. waived, claimed by the Broncos who hold onto him between active and PS til mid October, Claimed by the Colts until early Nov., The Panthers claim him and he's with them for a week before being released and then signed in late Nov by the Redskins.

Finds his way back to the Giants in 2011, In 2012 and 2013 he produces a bit with the Giants

2012: 73 Att for 385 yards - 5.3 average - really good average!

2013: 139 att for 492 yards - 3.5 average - not fantastic average but decent, should still make a team.

Signs a 1 year deal with the Texans right after that and is cut in training camp.  

With the exception of 2 carries for -1 yard in 2010 for the Broncos his limited stats for the Giants look like a player that shouldn't have a problem making a team.  

But he does practically nothing but bounce around for 3 years '09-'11.  Then he has 2 fairly productive years with the Giants, signed by the Texans and cut in camp.

It's all very strange.  Although I suppose signing him to a vet min contract with no guaranteed money can't possibly hurt us.  But I wouldn't guarantee him any money.  There is something fishy about him, but I have no idea what it is.

He was here for what a week in 2010? Something is up with him he has bounced around a lot. From the Giants to Broncos to Colts to  Panthers to the Skins back to the Giants then to Houston now free again. Doesn't sound like a headache we need.

He was here for what a week in 2010? Something is up with him he has bounced around a lot. From the Giants to Broncos to Colts to  Panthers to the Skins back to the Giants then to Houston now free again. Doesn't sound like a headache we need.

Well it could be that in 2010 he was a marginal player and those players tend to bounce around a lot.  

2012 and 2013 he's productive.  Classic story of a player who was marginal for a while but got better and made something of himself in the NFL right??  This happens.

Except then he gets cut in camp by the Texans.

I would be ok with bringing him in, to see what he has because he's been productive in this league.  Unlike say Dan Herron who has a combined 9 carries in his entire career but with no guaranteed money.

Well it could be that in 2010 he was a marginal player and those players tend to bounce around a lot.  

2012 and 2013 he's productive.  Classic story of a player who was marginal for a while but got better and made something of himself in the NFL right??  This happens.

Except then he gets cut in camp by the Texans.

I would be ok with bringing him in, to see what he has because he's been productive in this league.  Unlike say Dan Herron who has a combined 9 carries in his entire career but with no guaranteed money.

Who knows what is going on in Texas. I think Grigs is probably ahead of us on this one if it was nothing more than a crowded backfield he will come in for a look it there is any potential for problems he won't. It's time to start getting dialed in. 

The thing I don't like is it is another player with an history of significant injuries. 3 leg injuries ruptured Achilles, fractured fibula, and broken leg again in 2013.

Can't keep bringing in players with a history of significant injuries then crying curse when they get hurt again.

Who knows what is going on in Texas. I think Grigs is probably ahead of us on this one if it was nothing more than a crowded backfield he will come in for a look it there is any potential for problems he won't. It's time to start getting dialed in. 

The thing I don't like is it is another player with an history of significant injuries. 3 leg injuries ruptured Achilles, fractured fibula, and broken leg again in 2013.

Can't keep bringing in players with a history of significant injuries then crying curse when they get hurt again.

True, but likely wouldn't be a problem for a #3 RB.  More of a problem that Bradshaw has a history of such injuries.  

What about Willis McGahee? He can run in power schemes, he is big enough to absorb contact. His fumbles, as a percentage of his carries, are not damaging enough when compared to his pass protection and other skills he brings to the table.

Edit: His last year didn't look as good though, not sure if we want another former Brown :)

I would not mind looking at a speedster like LaRod Stephens Howling though.

True, but likely wouldn't be a problem for a #3 RB.  More of a problem that Bradshaw has a history of such injuries.  

Seems like Bradshaw's injuries would make the #3 back being very injury prone more of a problem because we might actually need him. Although Richardson doesn't have a history of missing games due to injury.

There will be some good backs cut when rosters go to 53. There are teams that are stacked that won't be able to keep everybody. I'd like to get another look at Boom and Tipton. They are in camp and know the offense and both had moments against a good Jets run D with a mixed up O Line. .

• 2 weeks later...