Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Could there be a free fall at the QB position?

Peter King says the Texans, the Jags,  the Browns and the Raiders are sending out signals that they may pass on a QB in the first round and take one in the 2nd or 3rd round.   These teams aren't that wild about the so-called first round QB's and don't like them much more than the 2nd or 3rd round talent.

So....

We might just see a free fall...   a long, long free fall.   Speculation is QB's could fall to 26 (the Colts old pick) which Cleveland owns.    They could be willing to let a team high in the 2nd round make a great offer to go up and get a QB at 26.   And, as King notes,  there might just be more QB's taken in the 2nd round, or the 3rd round than the first.     Wow!

Sure would make for a fascinating 1st round.   And might seriously help, or hurt a certain team that picks at 59....   

Here's what King wrote today in his MMQB column....

5. A few teams with quarterback needs have an interesting strategy. I’ve heard that at least four quarterback-needy teams—Houston (first pick),  Jacksonville (3), Cleveland (4) and Oakland (5)—are strongly considering passing on quarterbacks with their first picks and waiting until their second or third selections. Simple reason: They’re not in love with any of the quarterbacks, and there are too many other good players who are surer things than a quarterback you have sincere doubts about. For that reason, there could be more quarterbacks taken in round two than round one. For instance, Jacksonville really likes Jimmy Garoppolo of Eastern Illinois, and he’d likely be there high in the second round when the Jags pick again, at 39.

There is no sure thing QB in this draft class so I wouldn't be surprised if at least one of the top 3 fell. I still think Cleveland will pick a QB at 26, or trade that pick to team trying to get one who fell. It's hard to predict, if one falls then teams start trying to move up to land them. It's all supply and demand.

Draft one in the second then trade him to a QB needy team for a high draft pick next year or multiple later round picks that same day..

I am not sure that is a sound strategy if someone wants to trade for the 59th pick and give us a package like their 3rd, 4th and 7th or something like that. We have one of the last picks of the 2nd round so any trade would more than likely knock us out of the 2nd altogether. We would end up with 2 3rds a 4th our 5th our 6th and 2 7th's. Depending on who is there not sure I like that. We could end up with a good player at 59. I would want to see who is there and where we pick in the 3rd

It hurts if the QBs drop in 2 ways, one in hindsight and one in foresight.

If QBs drop and we had our original first round pick, we could really get more out of the #26 pick by letting a QB needy team like the Raiders or Browns (ironic) trade with us and give us more picks.

If QBs drop, then teams are snagging one of the guys we are potentially looking at No.59 in the form of a ripple effect.

If I'm a Colts fan, I'm rooting for QBs to go in round 1. Besides, lets not believe everything we hear.

Yeah I'm hoping for alot of reaches so that a ripple affect happens and better prospects get pushed down and one of those prospects falls to us. Doesn't seem likely though. Probably be a second round run on QBs,starting with Garopollo and then followed by Carr and McCarron. Whoever the BA QB is at 26, is who the browns will take.